2 hours ago, eintom said:

my silver one is on order now, they will ship this thing in a few weeks, after roon certification.

as an advantage, I promise myself a better sound by using a I2S connection to my Metrum Acoustis Adagio DAC, which gets a I2S Card from Metrum.

regards

tom

I have ordered a black one. Will use i2s to my Onyx.

On 21/03/2018 at 10:09 PM, davide256 said:

Just saw this mentioned in Roon forum, hopefully its more flexible than just Roon. AC powered so no PS tweaking possible

https://metrumacoustics.com/roon/

image.thumb.png.bfb4096fedf90c63a0decf0eb2e1cf3c.png

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/ambre-new-roonready-endpoint/40195

No PS tweaking is needed. It has a toroid supply. Metrum know what they are doing.

Looks like an interesting unit. If you are a Roon subscriber and a Metrum DAC owner, it may be a no brainer, especially with the I2S connection. For owners of other DACs, a bit less so, as no USB or ultra high rates and DSD.

BTW, it is available for pre-order (awaiting Roon certification): https://metrumacoustics.com/product/ambre-by-metrum-acoustics/

995 Euro seems like a very competitive price for an audiophile streamer with a good PS.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 1 month later...

In the FWIW column I'm tinkering now with an Allo USBridge. It's pretty sensitive to PS quality and has some trade offs with iPhone as Roon renderer. The iPhone

has better decay time behavior on note playback but tends to mutter on background details. With good PS and ISO REGEN the USBridge is articulate, resolving 

but notes seem to fade prematurely. One of the things I really appreciated about the microRendu was its combination of resolution and correct decay behavior

for notes.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Metrum is shipping their Ambre Streamer now. End of the week it should be here.

It has to be good, cause my Aries is sold ;-)

roon ROCK on a NUC Dawsoncanyon

Metrum Acoustics AMBRE Streamer

RME ADI 2 DAC Fs DAC/Pre

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

Got my Ambre yesterday and it was the right choice. :-)

In combination with I2S data transfer to my Metrum DAC it does sound much better than my Aries with HydraZ reclocker before. More than i could imagine.

Bye Bye USB ;-)

RME ADI 2 DAC Fs DAC/Pre

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

I use a Raspberry Pi hardwired to my network. It's my primary playback endpoint (with the Room core running on a laptop).

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

On 5/6/2018 at 2:50 PM, eintom said:

Got my Ambre yesterday and it was the right choice. :-)

In combination with I2S data transfer to my Metrum DAC it does sound much better than my Aries with HydraZ reclocker before. More than i could imagine.

Bye Bye USB ;-)

Nice! I got the I2S module for my Onyx as well. Really looking forward to listening to it next week.

Have you any idea what DSP settings are needed in Roon for that configuration? I have no idea what max sample rate for I2S is into the Onyx.

On 5/2/2018 at 4:13 PM, eintom said:

Metrum is shipping their Ambre Streamer now. End of the week it should be here.

It has to be good, cause my Aries is sold ;-)

I'm keeping the Aries Mini in my headphone station for now. Super performance from such a little box.

42 minutes ago, George Hincapie said:

Have you any idea what DSP settings are needed in Roon for that configuration? I have no idea what max sample rate for I2S is into the Onyx.

Hi George,

nice little blackbox :)

in the Ambre configuration it is limited to 192Khz. My Metrum R2R DAC can play 192Khz maximum too, so that is ok

Higher bitrates or DSD Files are downsampled in my chain.

I tried upsampling in roon, for example 44Khz to 192, but at the end i hear now without any dsp enabled.

So the NOS Dac with analog dsp-less active speakers makes the most sense (and sound :) ) to me.

regards

tom

ambre4.PNG

RME ADI 2 DAC Fs DAC/Pre

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

Thank you Tom!

Pre-Ambre I have listened to CD sourced compression free FLAC files into my Onyx via Digital Coax and an Allo DigiOne Roon EP, so have just left DSP switched off. I know USB sample rate limit is higher, 384KHz I think? I didn't know whether I2S would be higher or not.

Regardless, I'll leave DSP switched off; there's something very pure about listening to the file without any 'tom-foolery'.

Many Thanks!

to be too tom-foolish is a problem, i do know good :D

so the Ambre has to be the serious guy in the house (without DSP)

regards

tom

RME ADI 2 DAC Fs DAC/Pre

XLR > ATC SCM45A pro

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:12 PM, davide256 said:

Looking to start a discussion on what folks use/prefer for their Roon Endpoints. I'm floored by how good an iPhone6 sounds as a Roon endpoint feeding asynch USB, wondering what others have tried,

compared?

Hi,

I didn't read all the thread's pages but, due to the first three, where you were speaking about how good is iPhone as Roon endpoint, I just build my new chain with iPhone as Roon endpoint and Chord Mojo as DAC.

Now, my only issue is to make iPhone to play DSD through Roon to the Mojo (this is compatible with DSD).

Roon naturally see the iPhone/iPad that doesn't support DSD and it doesn't see that the Mojo is attached to it.

TV: Philips 55PUS7502-12 / Hi-Fi: Roksan K3 - miniDSP DDRC-24 - Elac Debut Reference DBR62 - Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB - AudioQuest Sydney RCA - Ricable Ultimate Speaker - Dirac Live 3 / Headphones: Chord Mojo - Dan Clark Audio AEON Flow Open / Source: Raspberry 4 Pi - Roon - RoPieeeXL / Gaming: Xbox One X / Tablet: iPad Pro 10.5
5 hours ago, RiseFall123 said:

Hi,

I didn't read all the thread's pages but, due to the first three, where you were speaking about how good is iPhone as Roon endpoint, I just build my new chain with iPhone as Roon endpoint and Chord Mojo as DAC.

Now, my only issue is to make iPhone to play DSD through Roon to the Mojo (this is compatible with DSD).

Roon naturally see the iPhone/iPad that doesn't support DSD and it doesn't see that the Mojo is attached to it.

I know that convert DSD to PCM works because that's how I'm setup with the Eitr. However if you go under audio in Roon and select  device setup next to iPhone (the little gears symbol) you can get to all settings for DSD. If native DSD isn't working with iPhone, the Mojo manual says it supports DOP 1.0, you could try selecting that in Roon DSD setup, probably should also select that Mojo DAC is limited to DSD128 per the manual?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

20 hours ago, davide256 said:

I know that convert DSD to PCM works because that's how I'm setup with the Eitr. However if you go under audio in Roon and select  device setup next to iPhone (the little gears symbol) you can get to all settings for DSD. If native DSD isn't working with iPhone, the Mojo manual says it supports DOP 1.0, you could try selecting that in Roon DSD setup, probably should also select that Mojo DAC is limited to DSD128 per the manual?

It simply works. The only limit is that iPhone is limited to 24bit while Mojo supports 32bit.

Thank you.

TV: Philips 55PUS7502-12 / Hi-Fi: Roksan K3 - miniDSP DDRC-24 - Elac Debut Reference DBR62 - Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB - AudioQuest Sydney RCA - Ricable Ultimate Speaker - Dirac Live 3 / Headphones: Chord Mojo - Dan Clark Audio AEON Flow Open / Source: Raspberry 4 Pi - Roon - RoPieeeXL / Gaming: Xbox One X / Tablet: iPad Pro 10.5
  • 2 weeks later...

George et al.,

I've been really enjoying my Onyx fed with redbook rips (uncompressed FLAC) via SOtM SMS-200 and Regen, windows Roon core. I am seriously considering replacing the SOtM/regen combo with an Ambre and I2S, and wondered if anyone has been able to tease apart the relative benefits of I2S versus USB and Ambre versus other renderers. Assuming that combo sounds better, in your opinion what is the main contributing factor, eliminating USB or swapping in the Ambre? Thanks!

Ron

• 1 month later...

Just for curiosity, there is someone else apart me, that use iPhone as main Roon endpoint? iPhone replaced the previous endpoint (laptop).

So actually I use iPhone either for the main rig speakers and for the headphones.

On 5/11/2018 at 8:23 PM, jerico said:

I use a Raspberry Pi hardwired to my network. It's my primary playback endpoint (with the Room core running on a laptop).

Just curious, have you compared it to iPhone or other more specialized Endpoints such as Rendu or SMS-200? Some people swear by its great sound if it is powered by LPS-1. 

6 hours ago, Lukasluis said:

Just curious, have you compared it to iPhone or other more specialized Endpoints such as Rendu or SMS-200? Some people swear by its great sound if it is powered by LPS-1. 

I only had a laptop as endpoint and now the iPhone.

After trying the iPhone I removed the laptop from the main speakers rig room.

On 5/25/2018 at 5:41 PM, roncagg said:

George et al.,

I've been really enjoying my Onyx fed with redbook rips (uncompressed FLAC) via SOtM SMS-200 and Regen, windows Roon core. I am seriously considering replacing the SOtM/regen combo with an Ambre and I2S, and wondered if anyone has been able to tease apart the relative benefits of I2S versus USB and Ambre versus other renderers. Assuming that combo sounds better, in your opinion what is the main contributing factor, eliminating USB or swapping in the Ambre? Thanks!

Ron

Sorry Ron, just saw this.

I haven't tried the Ambre I2S connection yet. I have a reference Digital Coax cable, so I use that rather than USB or anything else. I will try I2S at some point, but USB doesn't do it for me.