IGNORED

Better Roon Endpoints?

4 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Ethernet may not PERFECTLY isolate with it's little transformers (capacitive coupling maybe?).

So if you add ethernet to your iPhone you might be un-doing the benefits of the battery based USB source? 

Nice thing with ethernet is that you can easily go optical and then certainly you get full isolation...

Why do you think iPhone or other battery powered devices are low-noise? They have DC-DC converters / switching regulators between battery and other components, those are are essentially SMPS. Traditional linear regulators are too lossy and thus generate too much heat in many cases (and you cannot crank up the voltate with such anyway).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I really do hope Roon will do an iOS Brigde, and add support for older iOS devices.

I think this is a very good start for people to start with streaming using an extremely cheap endpoint.

And of cause with the Belkin Rockstar you not even need a DAC. Just a 3,5 mm to RCA cable, and you’re up an running withe your very old preamp.

Will we see NAA for iOS ? ?

I honestly think a "NAA DAC" using RaspberryPi3 + HifiBerry DAC+ Pro (RCA or XLR model) powered from something like iFi iPower is both cheaper and better... ;) And since software is available as SDcard image it is very easy to setup. Need to add one line to config.txt and that's it.

For some reason Roon doesn't provide ARM versions of Roon Bridge.

IMG_20171214_111439-s.thumb.jpg.4bddb5b3ef52190cc0158ac665baf9d8.jpg

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Can anyone confirm this will show up as an endpoint ? 

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/airport-express-audio-quality-2014.htm#spex

Wonder how that SPDIF SQ is ?

Maybe better than we would expect ?

EDIT

Just been confirmed it works only as AirPlay. 

(Not so good then)

Depends on what you have following the AirPort Express... If it is fully reclocked, then it may be OK. But it is limited to 44.1/16 only.

I consider Google Chromecast Audio as better alternative, works from multiple OS and supports multiple sampling rates.

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

.....and I understand Chromecast RAAT support is on the roadmap at Roon. 

As well we all understand RAAT will never be supported by Apple. 

Just think if it was.

Here is a true Apple faboy 

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/how-to-create-a-whole-house-music-system.htm

It doesn't have to be supported by Apple, because iOS apps support it. For example Spotify and Tidal apps running on iOS can utilize Chromecast Audio. That's what I use every Friday to play one of my favorite Friday playlists (for example "Night Rider" on Spotify) to living room stereo system. Then I just run the Philips Hue LED color lamps through Light DJ app. ;)

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

Perhaps I misunderstand Roon; I thought their argument was that UPNP and other streaming protocols are flawed, hence why they developed RAAT.

UPnP just doesn't offer such capabilities that RAAT or NAA want to have (assuming here that RAAT is quite similar to my NAA)... Same goes if you compare UPnP to AES67/Dante/RAVENNA or AVB.

• 4 weeks later...

12 TB drive costs around 500€ here (including 24% VAT). Add eight of those to a NAS box and you have quite a bit of space, 96 TB.

My video recordings in 4k and 1080p60 resolution are much bigger space hogs. Or my photo shooting, during my one week long winter vacation I shot almost 64 GB worth of pictures (RAW + JPEG). I take over 100 GB worth of pictures every summer.

• 1 month later...