IGNORED

Better Roon Endpoints?

2 hours ago, eintom said:

my silver one is on order now, they will ship this thing in a few weeks, after roon certification.

as an advantage, I promise myself a better sound by using a I2S connection to my Metrum Acoustis Adagio DAC, which gets a I2S Card from Metrum.

regards

tom

I have ordered a black one. Will use i2s to my Onyx.

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2018 at 2:50 PM, eintom said:

Got my Ambre yesterday and it was the right choice. :-)

In combination with I2S data transfer to my Metrum DAC it does sound much better than my Aries with HydraZ reclocker before. More than i could imagine.

Bye Bye USB ;-)

Nice! I got the I2S module for my Onyx as well. Really looking forward to listening to it next week.

Have you any idea what DSP settings are needed in Roon for that configuration? I have no idea what max sample rate for I2S is into the Onyx.

Thank you Tom!

Pre-Ambre I have listened to CD sourced compression free FLAC files into my Onyx via Digital Coax and an Allo DigiOne Roon EP, so have just left DSP switched off. I know USB sample rate limit is higher, 384KHz I think? I didn't know whether I2S would be higher or not.

Regardless, I'll leave DSP switched off; there's something very pure about listening to the file without any 'tom-foolery'.

Many Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2018 at 5:41 PM, roncagg said:

George et al.,

I've been really enjoying my Onyx fed with redbook rips (uncompressed FLAC) via SOtM SMS-200 and Regen, windows Roon core. I am seriously considering replacing the SOtM/regen combo with an Ambre and I2S, and wondered if anyone has been able to tease apart the relative benefits of I2S versus USB and Ambre versus other renderers. Assuming that combo sounds better, in your opinion what is the main contributing factor, eliminating USB or swapping in the Ambre? Thanks!

Ron

Sorry Ron, just saw this.

I haven't tried the Ambre I2S connection yet. I have a reference Digital Coax cable, so I use that rather than USB or anything else. I will try I2S at some point, but USB doesn't do it for me.