IGNORED

Better Roon Endpoints?

Make sense. No wires from network. And battery power. Perfect.

And this iPhone works like any other endpoint ?  Meaning I still can use my iPad or PC and play from Roon ?

I can't see my iPhone from the other controllers. Do I miss a trick here ? 

14 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Make sure you turn off "private zone" for the iPhone zone and it should appear from other Roon Remote apps.

WoW thanks Em. Must test this.

Lightning cable right out possible if I find the correct plug I suppose.   Otherwise I must find the Apple lightning to USB plug.

if I had my Explorer2 here I could do MQA ?

9E47DDA6-0A9E-43F6-B186-C0C16FADCB41.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

You need this:

Well, I would like to test if really need it, hence that photo :D

Or you did already maybe ?

EDIT:

Anyway I just found a Lightning to Micro USB adapter. It will do...

The other I had was for the previous Apple plug.

Also, you for sure do not need that expensive USB 3 version you linked to. That's meant for 12" iPad pro

The normal one will do.

7 hours ago, davide256 said:

Looking to start a discussion on what folks use/prefer for their Roon Endpoints. I'm floored by how good an iPhone6 sounds as a Roon endpoint feeding asynch USB, wondering what others have tried,

compared?

Is this why your selling your MicroRendu ?  :-)

Can you enlighten us if or what adapter in use ?

4 hours ago, davide256 said:

Yes, I'm finding its a better Roon endpoint than the microRendu for bass and mid-range harmonics, using a CCK/USPCB connection to Schitt Eitr. The only catch is the battery exhausts rapidly with a 6plus (A8 processor), can't get more than 6 hours use before the battery goes dead. Deliberating now about buying a new iPad or iPad Pro so that  I can get at least an A9 processor ,  have phone service while playing music and hopefully longer battery life. In the FWIW column I've also tried an iPad Mini 2, the microRendu outperformed it as Roon endpoint.

How do you exactly connect from an iPhone or an  iPad ? (USPCB won’t go to iPhone ?)

Are you using a specific Apple adapter, or just some cheap USB adapter plugs ?

Do I understand you correctly, that you’re saying there is a difference in using an iPad vs an iPhone ?

@nkbg

What cable/adapters in use ?

6 hours ago, davide256 said:

In the FWIW column I've also tried an iPad Mini 2, the microRendu outperformed it as Roon endpoint.

I understand this as MicroRende win. Correct ?

6 hours ago, davide256 said:

Yes, I'm finding its a better Roon endpoint than the microRendu for bass and mid-range harmonics, using a CCK/USPCB connection to Schitt Eitr.

Here you say the iPhone 6 is better, as also indicated in your fist post.

So i'm a bit confused, using two pretty good iDevices, gives so different results. If so, it would be interesting to understand why.

Or Am I missing something here ?

21 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Doesn't matter.

I think you're correct.

Testing now. My iPhone 6 is now controlled by my iPad and the iPad shows it's playing after screen is off. (As I removed the keep screen awake option)

I have nothing connected to the iPhone, but that doesn't matter.

When I kill Roon in iPhone, of cause the iPhone disappears.

This one TP-Link TL-PBG6700 won a test here in Norway, as it was delivering according to given specifications. Very cheap.

iOS 11.2.1 is the latest iOS version.

28 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Yes I have the same observations as you - the only time I lose connection with the iPhone, is when I close the Roon app on the iPhone. Other than that, Roon Core stays connected to the iPhone.

Actually if you open the iPhone app without start playing. It will be gone as audio zone when screen goes off.

So will the iPhone as an endpoint put out high res, like Hotel California that's MQA 24/192 ?

I have borrowed to someone my Explorer2. so I can't test.

I have available (Not necessary all mine)

iPhone 4

iPhone 6

iPhone 6 pluss 

iPhone 6s pluss

iPhone X

iPad Air 2

iPad 10,5 pro

Not sure how many of theses new endpoints I can test ?

Actually there shouldn’t be any difference, but there probably is. As already reported. Maybe someone is able to dig out the technical differences that may matter. I’m not sure what to look for. 

It seems Sonore Rendu series may have gotten a competitor. At a better price point.

So now we need a cable that goes from LPS-1 to lightning plug for changing. 

The latest iPod Touch should be excellent endpoint as well then ?

Switch out my UltraRendu. Now that new *CCK direct into USPCB and further into a modified SU-1. 

SQ will be commented later. The CCK need burn is of cause ???

And battery seems not to be an issue at all, so I probably could gone for a cheaper cable. 

BTW. When adding that CCK, an SW update (for CCK) was offered immediately. 

BBBFA2A8-F738-44F5-8DF3-0316AC6123BC.jpeg

*CCK means now the new Lightning USB 3 model. 

Of cause, music never stops ?

I,’m using an iPad as controller. I saw that post over in Roon support forum. He’s using W10. But I can’t think that should matter. 

Maybe a hard reboot of that phone will do. Worst case a full reinstall.  Which in any case is a good thing to do. 

I did and a new battery as well.  Almost like a new phone.     (Haven’t opened my X yet.)

11 hours ago, Miska said:

You download an install the "Roon Bridge". I assume Roon is supposed to then find it and you can configure it as a zone.

Miska

(Or anyone else)

Can you show a screenshot of a networked computer with Roon Brigde ?

Cause I don’t find Roon Brigde offered. 

But I guess I wouldn’t have seen my Explorer2 unless Brigde was installed ?

(Nor my HQPlayer on same PC ?)

1E3F63E4-E58B-4A48-A474-E0C043CE69B0.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Correct. The fact that it shows under 'Networked' means Roon Bridge is installed.

If the Explorer2 was present in my system, it would have been offered a wasapi option as well. Does this then mean that the wasapi is bypassing the Roon Brigde or ?

I have several times wonder why both wasapi and asio shows up, and has never been sure which one to choose. And Meridian do not explain if their driver support both options. They just say use our. 

3 hours ago, Em2016 said:

And that's with my 4G/LTE radio still switched on so I don't miss any urgent calls.

If I can find a latest generation iPod touch for cheap and just run Roon with ALL phone notifications switched off, it might be nice....

How about switch of WiFi as well ? ?

https://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Ethernet-Network-Adapter-Overseas-Compact/dp/B0725PYSP3

I almost purchased a Touch 5 gen very cheap, but as I found it wouldn’t install Roon, I didn’t. 

What we need is Roon Brigde and/or NAA for iOS. 

45 minutes ago, LarryMagoo said:

I use my iPhone X in my Car that lets me connect to my Kenwood Apple Play system.  I use a 6" short Audioquest  Cinnamon cable that goes between my Kenwood (USB input) and my iPhone with a AQ Jitterbug inline as well....really blown away by the sound quality....  

Yoy may like to read this:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/11/better-in-car-bluetooth-audio-with-audioquests-beetle-dac/

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/12/with-the-beetle-audioquests-199-dac-goes-home-and-away/

6 hours ago, Miska said:

Why do you think iPhone or other battery powered devices are low-noise? They have DC-DC converters / switching regulators between battery and other components, those are are essentially SMPS. Traditional linear regulators are too lossy and thus generate too much heat in many cases (and you cannot crank up the voltate with such anyway).

At some time I will test with iPhone X wireless charging vs using Lightning cable (with power bank vs SMPS charger) into the CCK ?

I really do hope Roon will do an iOS Brigde, and add support for older iOS devices.

I think this is a very good start for people to start with streaming using an extremely cheap endpoint.

And of cause with the Belkin Rockstar you not even need a DAC. Just a 3,5 mm to RCA cable, and you’re up an running withe your very old preamp.

Will we see NAA for iOS ? ?