IGNORED

UltraRendu vs an expensive music server

10 hours ago, KingRex said:

I don't understand why there is any other stereo manufacturer than McIntosh. They make everything perfect.  If you own anything else you got less than you could have.  

Of course you have to first like the signature sound of McIntosh.  Many don't like the sound of distortion from tube amps/preamps.  I like the sound from a tube guitar amplifier but not reproduced again by a power amp, YMMV.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

11 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Innuos was an industry partner of Small Green Computer and they were licensing Vortexbox up until recently.

To counter this 'been there, done that' attitude, have a look at the conclusion of this review of the Zenith MK2

http://hifipig.com/innuos-zenith-mk2/

I have both a Zenith SE and an ultraRendu.  I enjoy them both.  The SE is much better, period.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

13 hours ago, barrows said:

No, respectfully, you do not fully understand what you are talking about.  There is no "other camp".  At Sonore we made super trick, high end servers, running a fully custom stripped down OS, with fully optimized power supplies (my final server was completely off the grid powered by LiFePO4 batteries with multiple discrete linear regulators), and custom audiophile USB boards, and specially selected MoBos, etc, etc, the whole enchilada...  Turns out the microRendu with a very good power supply was such  step forward from any server we never made servers again!  and the ultraRendu and Signature Rendu SE are both a lot better than that.

A full blown music server has so many problems to overcome it is just not worth it, and it is so much easier and more cost effective to put together a system based on ethernet streaming, and such a system performs with better sound quality across the board.

The Ethernet tweakers notwithstanding, for the last three years Sonore has put together a demo system for RMAF based around a Rendu with excellent power supply, a standard Synology NAS (Mac Mini last year) a standard router, and standard BJC CAT 6A ethernet cables with no unusual Ethernet tweaks and we achieved a sound quality much better than we could ever achieve with a server.  Audiophiles will always try to improve things, and make money off of "accessories", but the fact is, most of the network tweaks we hear about have little to no effect on system performance, and are unnecessary.

The problem with commercial computer gear is the noise, both radiated RFI, and electrically (over wires) transmitted EMI.  Ethernet audio distribution removes these problems from the proximity of the audio system, with a just a simple, elegant, purpose built, ultra low noise, high end quality device (the Renderer) in the audio system, and all the commercial computer gear in another location in the home.  

From an engineering cost efficiency, I believe you are correct under $2k. However listening to a source like the Innuos Zenith Mk II has given me pause, to allow that over $2k

you can see the appropriate engineering attention paid to the one box issues needed to compete with separate renderer/ file server. Unfortunately there are quite a few servers without good design practice in market, muddying the waters.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, rickca said:

To counter this 'been there, done that' attitude, have a look at the conclusion of this review of the Zenith MK2

http://hifipig.com/innuos-zenith-mk2/

I have both a Zenith SE and an ultraRendu.  I enjoy them both.  The SE is much better, period.  

I'm not sure what prompted you to respond in this way. If you want to use an all in one as your source unfortunately you need to go to this extent. This is exactly what I have explained before and yes been there done that. Another example of this approach is Aurender. I'm sure you're happy with your solution and I take no issue with that. I decided to move away from a tweaked out off the shelf motherboard solutions and I really have no regrets. We are able to offer systems to customers in a much more affordable range with fanatic sound quality. Have you heard the Sonore Signature Rendu SE?   

On a side note: If Innous or anyone else for that matter is using Vortexbox and not paying SGC a license for it then its use makes it an illegal product.

The  problem people seem to have is manufacturer reps stomping around on a people forum yarping their magistracy over all others.  Its unsophisticated, plebeian speak.  It's just plain boorish and really drives a wedge between sellers and buyers.  Barrows engenders no desire to try a Sonore product from me.  Maybe his pious attitude impresses others but the reaction to his speak on this forum should cause pause for introspection.  

5 minutes ago, KingRex said:

The  problem people seem to have is manufacturer reps stomping around on a people forum yarping their magistracy over all others.  Its unsophisticated, plebeian speak.  It's just plain boorish and really drives a wedge between sellers and buyers.  Barrows engenders no desire to try a Sonore product from me.  Maybe his pious attitude impresses others but the reaction to his speak on this forum should cause pause for introspection.  

Understood and point well taken. Please understand I only came in because someone mischaracterized what we are doing.  

2 hours ago, ajm said:

Would be useful to see  Chris Connacher's review of Signature Rendu SE

I myself has been quite septic to the benefits of the SRSE vs the UltraRendu powered by a Uptone Audio LPS-1.2, and proper JSSG DC and Ethernet cabling.

However @barrows has given some quite convincing statements and explanations of why it’s better etc. 

I find it very expensive, but if I ever got a chance to try it, I will.

I may even purchase one. 

I think you don’t need @The Computer Audiophile to review it, as I think Google will give you a couple of reviews.

Of cause Chris, I wouldn’t mind you do a review comparing those two setups. 

I don’t think it has been done before. 

2 hours ago, ajm said:

Would be useful to see  Chris Connacher's review of Signature Rendu SE

Chris will have a review at some point, you would have to ask him about that!  In the mean time I would suggest taking a look at the Signature Rendu SE thread as there are some owner impressions there:

BTW, if one likes this kind of thing, Rachel Podger's new recording of Vivaldi's "The Four Seasons" from Channel Classics is sounding fantastic on my system as I type this (in DSD 128)!  Highly recommended...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Before midnight?

;)

Mac Mini Late 2014 (16G/SSD) w Uptone JS-2 w OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini RAID (JS-2) / Roon

Aqua LinQ w EtherCon cable (Ghent) w Uptone EtherRegen w Uptone JS-2

Aqua Formula xHD w Ocellia RCA Interconnect & Shunyata Delta NR

Kora TB 200 Integrated Amplifier w Audio Art Power Cable

Magico V2 w Ocellia speaker cables w Shunyata Dark Field Elevator & JL Audio E-Sub e110 X 2

All equipment, including subwoofer on Modulum platforms (modulumaudio.com)

@barrows

Could the Signature SE be even better with a Ethernet stage similar or equal to the one John Swenson is designing inside the new switch. 

How about a fiber input as well ?

Have a AES/EBU outbut board been considdered ?

If Sonore could add a SPDIF output for us that have expensive DAC’s without USB interface, that would be something. 

And if you’re able to this better than the SU-1......?

Sonore allready have a condensed SU-1 named ultraDigital, so isn’t this the next step in evolution ?

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

@barrows: An espresso machine in the dash of your car?  That’s brilliant!  I totally want one.  Where to dispose of the grounds though?  :P

I think you should ask Barrows to incorporate features you absolutely can't do without. Like a grinder or a steamer. Then we can join into the discussion about quality versus features. Personally I really want Barrows to add the milk steamer. Do I need to add the WAF? 

• 1 year later...
On 4/20/2018 at 11:52 PM, vortecjr said:

Anyway, these approaches are very similar in software and hardware to what we use to do a few year ago. We have a lot of experience with them and we feel very comfortable discussing the pros and cons of each.

Since I am seriously considering the SignatureRendu vs an Innuos Zennith Mark3, could you please elaborate on the technology and pros and cons?

Please consider I use RoonServer on a Qnap NAS (so the Rendu would be on RoonReady), I would use optical network connection, and my DAC is PSAudio DirectStream.