IGNORED

UltraRendu vs an expensive music server

9 hours ago, KingRex said:

But, I keep getting hassled by a salesman who just loves the Sonore. 

Well, then he should lend you the products, or just invite him home.

And yes, the UltraRendu is good. You didn'y mention your PS DC out, but maybe it can work with the UltraRendu ? 

By the way:

Your title is comparing apple and you know......

UltraRendu is an endpoint not a Music Server.

So you just keep your music server and add the endpoint and enjoy the upgrade :D

@KingRex

You have a very nice setup.

I agree with that salesman that would like you to try Sonore UltraRendu. In addition I think you should add the USPCB from Uptone Audio as well as a LPS-1 to power the UltraRendu.

In addition you need good DC cables which you can order from Ghent, where you also should get an Ethernet cable. If you like you could even ask Ghent to make you DC cables with JSSG.

If possible avoid the $15 SMPS supplied with the LPS-1, but as a start it should do.

I think if you read this thread I linked to and what Barrows says, you probably get an understanding why many think and has discovered that you should use a dedicated endpoint in addition to music server or what ever you have available. Dedicated endpoints, preferably using Roon is the way to go.

I think it's at the present time impossible to get a better setup that the above suggestion. Well actually there is the JSGT where you add a special named switch and ground the minus powering the switch. And you can even challenge your DAC USB implementation, buy testing the ultraDigital or a modified Singxer SU-1.

Or the Sotm route with clocks etc. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/6/2018 at 6:19 PM, KingRex said:

So much is being written about the Sonore products.  There are a lot of comparison to the the SOtM units.  Has anyone compared a UltraRendu to something such as a purpose built computer with linear power supplies everyone is building here.  I have as such.  I have the Mojo Audio server with Mojo Linear power supply.  I have upgraded it to Server 2016 with AO in Ultra Mode.  It kicks butt as far as I know.  But, I keep getting hassled by a salesman who just loves the Sonore.  I am wondering, how good is the product.  Is it great for the price and ends there, or is it as good or better than all the other units from Lampizator SK, Antipodes, Aurender, Antipodes.  Has anyone done a comparison.  Please point me to the link, or let me know your thoughts.  Thanks

So have you tried the UltraRendu yet ?

And how about adding http://www.fidelizer-audio.com/ to your server ? Seems also as a cheap and good upgrade. There is a tread about it here at CA.

2 hours ago, ajm said:

Would be useful to see  Chris Connacher's review of Signature Rendu SE

I myself has been quite septic to the benefits of the SRSE vs the UltraRendu powered by a Uptone Audio LPS-1.2, and proper JSSG DC and Ethernet cabling.

However @barrows has given some quite convincing statements and explanations of why it’s better etc. 

I find it very expensive, but if I ever got a chance to try it, I will.

I may even purchase one. 

I think you don’t need @The Computer Audiophile to review it, as I think Google will give you a couple of reviews.

Of cause Chris, I wouldn’t mind you do a review comparing those two setups. 

I don’t think it has been done before. 

@barrows

Could the Signature SE be even better with a Ethernet stage similar or equal to the one John Swenson is designing inside the new switch. 

How about a fiber input as well ?

Have a AES/EBU outbut board been considdered ?

If Sonore could add a SPDIF output for us that have expensive DAC’s without USB interface, that would be something. 

And if you’re able to this better than the SU-1......?

Sonore allready have a condensed SU-1 named ultraDigital, so isn’t this the next step in evolution ?