IGNORED

Audio Blind Testing

19 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Ummm, bits of wire lying around is good enough, most times - if used well. Current experimental rig, NAD components, uses a bit of a single twisted pair, solid strand Cat cable between source and amplifier - works well enough to make all the other weaknesses which are holding back the sound obvious. Perhaps it will be worth making that connection "better" down the track, perhaps not ...

But you live in an area (lower Blue Mountains ?) which is well removed from the industrial areas of Sydney, and the vast majority of high powered AM, FM Stereo, DTV and Radar transmitters.(Weather and Aviation etc.)

There is a big difference between a Zip cable and a twisted pair which has been used since the evolution of Telecommunications to improve signal integrity.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

51 minutes ago, esldude said:

Nope, ipad spectrum analyzer won't cut it.  If you don't care, I don't either. 

I'll reiterate ," Without at least those two conditions being met, two files sounded different for reasons unknown."

You'll, like many others feel edified.  And that is about all your methodology is worth.  If that is good enough, then fine.  Simply means not much of anything.   

Whatever...The volume difference in one step on my pre-amp’s volume control is far greater than what I’m detecting in the tests (or seeing on my iPad spectrum analyzer app) for the tracks/albums I’ve compared. And for purposes of my tests I’m using newly released recordings with identical track times and otherwise no obvious reasons to assume significant diffferences in the (re)mastering between the CD and MQA versions. Of course, that doesn’t guarantee they’re from the same source, but it avoids obvious differences like what’s going on in The Nightfly or Getz/Gilberto and other audiophile “classics” that have been re-released as MQAs. 

And it’s not simply that the “two files sound different for reasons unknown.” What I’ve learned is that there is a general “signature” to the MQA sound. I’ve learned that the signature I’m detecting is not attributable to subject bias (thanks to the blinded testing I’ve now conducted). Likewise, I’ve learned that my personal preference for that identifiable sound is not attributable to subject bias. That certainly doesn’t mean much for others’ preferences, other listening setups, etc., but it means quite a lot for my own personal listening enjoyment. 

4 minutes ago, knickerhawk said:

And it’s not simply that the “two files sound different for reasons unknown.” What I’ve learned is that there is a general “signature” to the MQA sound. I’ve learned that the signature I’m detecting is not attributable to subject bias (thanks to the blinded testing I’ve now conducted). Likewise, I’ve learned that my personal preference for that identifiable sound is not attributable to subject bias. That certainly doesn’t mean much for others’ preferences, other listening setups, etc., but it means quite a lot for my own personal listening enjoyment. 

The only way to put this to rest is to directly compare the original High Res recording (not a copy of a copy, of a copy  of the original etc.) against the decoded MQA version, however the record companies are highly unlikely to let that happen. They want their DRM and control back again.

I think it's more likely about Piracy control issues why they are interested in MQA, just like the LF watermarks they tried in some DVD-As and Sony tried with some CDs to prevent copying.(Sony Rootkit)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

56 minutes ago, sandyk said:

But you live in an area (lower Blue Mountains ?) which is well removed from the industrial areas of Sydney, and the vast majority of high powered AM, FM Stereo, DTV and Radar transmitters.(Weather and Aviation etc.)

There is a big difference between a Zip cable and a twisted pair which has been used since the evolution of Telecommunications to improve signal integrity.

Yes, the point is signal integrity. If that is focused on, and made sufficent for the situation, then no more has to be done - I have also used basic electrical cable for speaker links, but, no stranding, and tightly twisted - it's all about construction, and how the 'part' is used ...

12 hours ago, sandyk said:

George

I thought that you had got well past these dogmatic assertions  about Interconnects, but apparently not.

Interconnects of the same length , but of different construction can sound quite different due to differences in capacitance, immunity to RF/EMI  etc. A Blue Jeans LC1 for example , with just over half the capacitance of many other interconnects can sound quite different to a typical coaxial construction type cable of the same length due to interactions with the output stage of the DAC, Preamp etc.  Many commonly used I.C.s used in consumer gear output stages do not like driving higher capacitance loads, and can even become unstable when driving higher than average cable capacitance and often use series output resistors of typically 100 ohms to help prevent this.

The LM4562 for example, is quite fussy in this respect.

Alex

P.S.

This is starting to sound a bit like Groundhog Day !:D

I don't want to start this again, but with your knowledge of electronics, I'm sure you know that differences in capacitances, Inductances etc.; while they can have an effect at very high (essentially RF) frequencies, don't affect audio frequencies at all except in very long runs of 50 ft or more. (where RG 59U is down 1 dB at 20 KHz, IIRC)

While what you say about modern op-amps may be true (I don't claim to have the practical working knowledge of op-amps that you do), I have not encountered that phenomenon. Obviously what you are saying is that when driving high reactance loads (such as a cable with high capacitance) an op-amp's frequency response will be altered or the op-amp could become unstable (go into oscillation?).  OK, I can see that. IOW, it's not the cable per se that is changing the sound, but rather the cable's characteristics affecting the output stage of the component driving the cable? Well, that's reasonable. However, audio is such a low frequency signal that I still have difficulty, not with the concept, but with the degree with which this phenomenon can affect such a signal. Were we talking 100 MHz or greater, I'd say that yes, the conducting cable's reactivity is very important to delivering a signal from one component to another in such a way that it is delivered as intact as possible. But I've run all kinds of audio frequency signals; sine waves, square waves, triangular waves, pulse waves of varying duty cycle, etc. through all kinds of cable, and they all look the same at any frequency from just a few Hertz to at least 1 MHz.

But that's not the issue here. 

This is a discussion of blind testing. Fas42 asserted that cables will always fail a DBT and quoted some dubious technical reasons for this. My response (a little heavy handed, perhaps) was that when things (in this case cables) fail to show a difference in a DBT, it's because there is no difference to show. Perhaps I should have taken a somewhat lighter approach and merely said something like "Are you saying that the only time that different cables are audibly different is when you are looking at them?" Sarcastic yes, but perhaps it wouldn't have opened old wounds here. 

I have, to my satisfaction, proven two things to myself. 1) Generally, with something really simple like interconnect cables (passive component, easy to switch in and out of a test), DBTs show the truth and 2) more complex components like amplifiers, DACs, etc., can show that a difference between two makes/models does exist, but that it takes long term listening to characterize and quantify those differences. But there is a big caveat here. Since interconnect cables (I do not include speaker cables in this discussion. They're a different kettle of fish.) are passive, and short, there is no chance for a level difference between them to exist (as long as they are JUST cables and don't have other components in them); I.E. there should be no insertion loss. That makes it a certainty that switching between two cables will not result in a loudness discrepancy. So if one hears a difference when the two cables under test are instantaneously switched, then a difference between those cables definitely exists. If numerous tries and numerous different interconnect sets are tried against each other at different times and in different places and no discernible difference in sound is detected, then I think it's reasonable to conclude that no difference in sound exists between the tested interconnect cables.

With active components, it's different. There are so many variables, and it's so easy to get a mismatch in level between two DUTs (even 1 dB can be enough to invalidate the test) that in my opinion, one is better off skipping the DBT altogether and going with long term comparisons while taking lots of notes! 

In the post to which you reference, I stated the fact that in a number of different DBT "cable shoot-outs" to which I've been party, Instantaneous switching between cables has concluded in a result where not only has no one participating been able to hear any discernible difference, they couldn't even tell when or if the cables had been switched. That's my experience, and I'm content that interconnect cables aren't worth my time. Others might see it differently, that's up to them. But in the context of this thread, I feel that my comments were on subject and germane to the topic of DBTs. And no, I don't wish to visit the interconnect question as a subject for debate again. To me it's a question asked and answered.

George

51 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

With active components, it's different. There are so many variables, and it's so easy to get a mismatch in level between two DUTs (even 1 dB can be enough to invalidate the test) that in my opinion, one is better off skipping the DBT altogether and going with long term comparisons while taking lots of notes! 

In the post to which you reference, I stated the fact that in a number of different DBT "cable shoot-outs" to which I've been party, Instantaneous switching between cables has concluded in a result where not only has no one participating been able to hear any discernible difference, they couldn't even tell when or if the cables had been switched. That's my experience, and I'm content that interconnect cables aren't worth my time. Others might see it differently, that's up to them. But in the context of this thread, I feel that my comments were on subject and germane to the topic of DBTs. And no, I don't wish to visit the interconnect question as a subject for debate again. To me it's a question asked and answered.

Ah, dear ... you've answered your own "questions" - it's the "long term" consideration aspect, you see ...

Which is the only way to make decisions ... there's a concept which is an inconvenient truth in audio, ;) being, that qualities change over time, for a myriad of reasons. And no matter how hard one wants to pretend that a plugged in cable, as a piece of an electrical circuit puzzle, is 100% passive - whatever that means - the reality is otherwise. A genuine, engineering solution is to make all the electricals fit in one box - no more cable nonsense! - but then we wouldn't have the fun of trying a Chrysler engine in a Ford body, with a GM suspension - surely that's gotta be better than a car done by a single engineering team ... ^_^.

42 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

don't want to start this again, but with your knowledge of electronics, I'm sure you know that differences in capacitances, Inductances etc.; while they can have an effect at very high (essentially RF) frequencies, don't affect audio frequencies at all except in very long runs of 50 ft or more. (where RG 59U is down 1 dB at 20 KHz, IIRC)

George

Based on my personal experiences with the music track of the .wav file waveform that I attached, I do NOT agree with you, and neither do a large number of members agree with you about the audible differences between different Interconnects.

There is obviously far more to it than just Attenuation with Frequency, there is also rejection of RF/EMI etc. and the resistivity of the Earth side in  particular does matter when it is part of the reference Earth for the system.

Neither can I explain the audible differences that I hear between 2 75 ohm 1.5M cables that I use for Coax SPDIF.

Recently, one of the RCA plugs became a little loose in the socket of my Soundcard, so I replaced it. What did surprise me was that unlike many, it had 2 layers of braiding as well as aluminium foil, and immediately struck me as better made.

Did you see my comment about short D.C.  cables discussed in the Uptone area of the forum where E.E. John Swenson describes a technical and audible improvement for even short D.C. cables ?

These guys are hearing confirmed differences that I wouldn't have believed possible either.

Previously, like you, I thought that most of this discussion about differences between cable was due to a placebo effect.

I said as much in the Uptone area about the short D.C. cables, but John  quickly shot me down with technical explanations which also included RF/EMI emitted FROM the D.C. cable itself when used with some Digital devices due to the very sudden current demands involved.

Alex

4 hours ago, sandyk said:

For starters, nobody in their right mind would use a Zip cord for an Interconnect !!!

Before you jump down my throat and tell me that drums are LF and the cables can't possibly have any effect, have a look at the attached below which shows the VERY fast rise times of the envelope.

Sure, but if a zip cord has nearly the same LRC characteristics as LC1, then what accounts for the difference?

You do realize that in order to have an 'audible' change of -0.5dB @ 96KHz (I'm being extremely generous here with the definition of audible) the interconnect must have a capacitance of about 2μF? Of course, nobody can hear into 96KHz, much less a -0.5dB roll-off at that frequency. And no normal IC cable has a capacitance approaching anywhere near 2μF.

4 hours ago, sandyk said:

You would be surprised to see what small differences many members are capable of hearing, even the effects of improved screening on a couple of feet of D.C. cable !

Hmm, having done at least some of these DC cable mods per instructions on that list, I can report that I found no difference whatsoever. And this was in a high frequency digital device (SU-1) that operates into the range of a few dozen MHz.

18 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Ah, dear ... you've answered your own "questions" - it's the "long term" consideration aspect, you see ...

Which is the only way to make decisions ... there's a concept which is an inconvenient truth in audio, ;) being, that qualities change over time, for a myriad of reasons. And no matter how hard one wants to pretend that a plugged in cable, as a piece of an electrical circuit puzzle, is 100% passive - whatever that means - the reality is otherwise. A genuine, engineering solution is to make all the electricals fit in one box - no more cable nonsense! - but then we wouldn't have the fun of trying a Chrysler engine in a Ford body, with a GM suspension - surely that's gotta be better than a car done by a single engineering team ... ^_^.

No, my results have answered my questions, not I. And if things change over time, then they change over time, but if you can't notice or measure the changes, what difference does it make?  I mean it's a lot like the classic dilemma; "If a tree falls in the forest, and there is nobody (and nothing) around hear it fall, does it make any sound?" The answer, is of course, that it doesn't matter and neither does this.  

George

1 minute ago, pkane2001 said:

Sure, but if a zip cord has nearly the same LRC characteristics as LC1, then what accounts for the difference?

I have already answered some of these things in my reply to George.

A Zip cord for example has very little RF/EMI rejection.

Nothing , myself or others are likely to say on this subject is ever going to change either George's or your minds.

I am simply reporting my observations, and I am only one of a large number of members who report hearing similar differences.

Just because you are unable to hear the differences that John and others have reported, doesn't mean that they don't exist.

If you have been closely following the thread, you will have noticed that I also found the reports a little unbelievable, especially as I use D.C. cables of no more than 2 feet long salvaged from redundant 2 pin mains leads. In other words , fairly heavy duty wire. However, if John Swenson reports these things and others verify them independently, I will bow to his superior knowledge of the subject. I have since obtained 2M of the cable described, and will eventually try this for myself, despite my reservations.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2M-Canare-L-4E6S-Premium-Balanced-Quad-XLR-Microphone-Cable-Made-in-Japan/261917497557?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

8 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Based on my personal experiences with the music track of the .wav file waveform that I attached, I do NOT agree with you, and neither do a large number of members agree with you about the audible differences between different Interconnects.

And that's fine.

9 minutes ago, sandyk said:

There is obviously far more to it than just Attenuation with Frequency, there is also rejection of RF/EMI etc. and the resistivity of the Earth side in  particular does matter when it is part of the reference Earth for the system.

That may be, but if I can't hear it under controlled circumstances, it doesn't matter to me (but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to know what the mechanism is - I would dearly like to know!). 

12 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Neither can I explain the audible differences that I hear between 2 75 ohm 1.5M cables that I use for Coax SPDIF.

Recently, one of the RCA plugs became a little loose in the socket of my Soundcard, so I replaced it. What did surprise me was that unlike many, it had 2 layers of braiding as well as aluminium foil, and immediately struck me as better made.

Did you see my comment about short D.C.  cables discussed in the Uptone area of the forum where E.E. John Swenson describes a technical and audible improvement for even short D.C. cables ?

These guys are hearing confirmed differences that I wouldn't have believed possible either.

And if I had ever been able to confirm some of the differences I have heard, over the years, wrt interconnects, I'd be in your camp too. But I haven't and I dare say that the people who have been in the same room with me when DBTs showed no differences, would agree with me (they're not the same people in each DBT, BTW). I believe in buying quality cables, and I do. But that's construction quality, not SQ. 

George

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

What if RF/EMI isn't a problem in one's specific situation? A guy I once knew made up a pair of "interconnects" using 12 Gauge speaker wire and asked me to try them out. I did so between my then Audio Research SP11 and my VTL 140 mono-blocs. I heard no increase in noise or any hum (I was careful to dress the interconnects away from any mains leads). I can see situations where RFI and EMI is a problem and in such a case one should not use un-shielded cable, and one should probably think about going balanced! :) 

George

1 minute ago, gmgraves said:

I believe in buying quality cables, and I do. But that's construction quality, not SQ. 

That was exactly the case with this Coax SPDIF cable. It was a more expensive replacement for an older cable that had become poor fitting due to being moved around numerous times over the years, with PC moves to different addresses and PC upgrades.

I certainly did NOT expect to hear any difference between functioning Coax SPDIF cable of a similar length, any more than I expected to hear a difference between a proper INSULATED 75 ohm BNC socket on my DAC and a generic, less well constructed 50 ohm version which people like yourself claim can't possibly make any difference in such a short length.

3 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

What if RF/EMI isn't a problem in one's specific situation? A guy I once knew made up a pair of "interconnects" using 12 Gauge speaker wire and asked me to try them out. I did so between my then Audio Research SP11 and my VTL 140 mono-blocs. I heard no increase in noise or any hum (I was careful to dress the interconnects away from any mains leads). I can see situations where RFI and EMI is a problem and in such a case one should not use un-shielded cable, and one should probably think about going balanced! :) 

George

Several years ago I moved a Class A Preamp PCB to another area of the room with the DMM still connected across it's output, as I had been checking D.C. offset. I was very surprised to see quite a few mV being read at it's output with NO power connected. It was due to RF pickup, possibly from a not too distant FM Stereo transmitter.

Not all RF/EMI results in audible hum, but it can still degrade S/N performance.

Alex

Just now, sandyk said:

Nothing , myself or others are likely to say on this subject is ever going to change either George's or your minds.

I am simply reporting my observations, and I am only one of a large number of members who report hearing similar differences.

Just because you are unable to hear the differences that John and others have reported, doesn't mean that they don't exist.

If you have been closely following the thread, you will have noticed that I also found the reports a little unbelievable, especially as I use D.C. cables of no more than 2 feet long salvaged from redundant 2 pin mains leads. In other words , fairly heavy duty wire. However, if John Swenson reports these things and others verify them independently, I will bow to his superior knowledge of the subject. I have since obtained 2M of the cable described, and will eventually try this for myself, despite my reservations.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2M-Canare-L-4E6S-Premium-Balanced-Quad-XLR-Microphone-Cable-Made-in-Japan/261917497557?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I got about 20m of Canare 4E6S. Most of it went into multiple headphone cables, but some into DC cords since I had some left over. I'm not against experimenting, but I don't bow to JS or to anyone else just because they say something. Especially if that something is highly improbable. Doveryai, no proveryai is my motto ;)

4E6S makes for a wonderful balanced headphone cable even at a 10m length. But, it's nothing special as a DC cord, IME.

9 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

I got about 20m of Canare 4E6S. Most of it went into multiple headphone cables, but some into DC cords since I had some left over. I'm not against experimenting, but I don't bow to JS or to anyone else just because they say something. Especially if that something is highly improbable. Doveryai, no proveryai is my motto ;)

4E6S makes for a wonderful balanced headphone cable even at a 10m length. But, it's nothing special as a DC cord, IME.

Even if I don't hear the improvements that John and others report, I won't  be claiming they are wrong, as my hearing is far more aged than theirs, and not every setup is the same.

It also seems highly likely that in the area I am currently living, that there may not be a need for such measures.

I feel like mailing @gmgraves a set of my Audio Sensibility Statement XLRs (7N OCC, Teflon, cotton, Furutech) to challenge this belief system.

I had installed a new audio stand against a sidewall to reduce distortion caused by putting equipment between my speakers. In order for the pre to reach the amps I used a set of cheap 5 meter interconnects I had laying around. I ended up moving the rack back to the front of the room because I couldn’t stand how badly the sound was impacted. I then tried comparing the cheap interconnects with my Statements to find that yes, the cheap cables caused the soundstage to narrow and lead to a sense of congestion and muddied sound — a big downgrade. 

Here’s the twist — the cheap cables weren’t cheap at all. Looking more closely, I noticed they were Belden with Neutrik connectors. 

55 minutes ago, sandyk said:

That was exactly the case with this Coax SPDIF cable. It was a more expensive replacement for an older cable that had become poor fitting due to being moved around numerous times over the years, with PC moves to different addresses and PC upgrades.

I certainly did NOT expect to hear any difference between functioning Coax SPDIF cable of a similar length, any more than I expected to hear a difference between a proper INSULATED 75 ohm BNC socket on my DAC and a generic, less well constructed 50 ohm version which people like yourself claim can't possibly make any difference in such a short length.

Then we're essentially on the same page. End of debate.

George

6 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Then we're essentially on the same page. End of debate.

NO !

I heard differences that I didn't expect to hear, and that you believe are NOT possible. 

51 minutes ago, sandyk said:

George

Several years ago I moved a Class A Preamp PCB to another area of the room with the DMM still connected across it's output, as I had been checking D.C. offset. I was very surprised to see quite a few mV being read at it's output with NO power connected. It was due to RF pickup, possibly from a not too distant FM Stereo transmitter.

Not all RF/EMI results in audible hum, but it can still degrade S/N performance.

Alex

I'm aware of that, that's why I said that heard no increase in hum OR NOISE. Of course it's a case by case thing. My circumstances may be quite different from yours and my circumstances now at my present location might be completely different from where I was when I tried the unshielded cables. I might get an entirely different result here, but I'm not about to try unshielded cables at this point. :)

George

16 minutes ago, GUTB said:

I feel like mailing @gmgraves a set of my Audio Sensibility Statement XLRs (7N OCC, Teflon, cotton, Furutech) to challenge this belief system.

I had installed a new audio stand against a sidewall to reduce distortion caused by putting equipment between my speakers. In order for the pre to reach the amps I used a set of cheap 5 meter interconnects I had laying around. I ended up moving the rack back to the front of the room because I couldn’t stand how badly the sound was impacted. I then tried comparing the cheap interconnects with my Statements to find that yes, the cheap cables caused the soundstage to narrow and lead to a sense of congestion and muddied sound — a big downgrade. 

Here’s the twist — the cheap cables weren’t cheap at all. Looking more closely, I noticed they were Belden with Neutrik connectors. 

Wouldn't do any good. the only thing I have that uses XLRs is my recording equipment. 

George

51 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Even if I don't hear the improvements that John and others report, I won't  be claiming they are wrong, as my hearing is far more aged than theirs, and not every setup is the same.

But you would defend their findings without being able to confirm them yourself and without any objective evidence to support them? I'm much more skeptical when it comes to these claims, but I'm always open to hearing real evidence to the contrary.

17 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

But you would defend their findings without being able to confirm them yourself and without any objective evidence to support them? I'm much more skeptical when it comes to these claims, but I'm always open to hearing real evidence to the contrary.

I didn't say that I would defend their findings, but I certainly wouldn't post  that an experienced E.E. like John was wrong , just because I was unable to hear them for myself.

I would still invite others to try it for themselves though, to see if others were able to confirm his results, preferably using non sighted testing to rule out Expectation Bias.

15 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I didn't say that I would defend their findings, but I certainly wouldn't post  that an experienced E.E. like John was wrong , just because I was unable to hear them for myself.

I would still invite others to try it for themselves though, to see if others were able to confirm his results, preferably using non sighted testing to rule out Expectation Bias.

Alex, we are in agreement :)