IGNORED

Audio Blind Testing

8 hours ago, Speedskater said:

A problem with blind testing is that they try to do a big test with many listeners and many repetitions. They should start with a very small informal test. That would be one interested audiophile, where he chooses the music, the volume and the sample time. If he can't easily hear a difference then there's no reason to expand the test.

4 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Actually, I think that you do need a fairly large participant pool.

I agree.  How is the "one interested audiophile" selected and qualified?  The whole significance of statistical assessment is to not rely on any single anecdote.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

21 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

You start with an audiophile that reports that he can hear a difference. Only than can we move on. 

Statistical assessment doesn't mean much.  Those with a vested interest in blind tests not working, will always find fault in any statistical test. The real question should be 'can some listeners hear a difference'?  If they can then we should investigate why it is that they hear the difference.

"Why" they hear a difference is not the issue until we find out "if" they really do hear a difference and that cannot be determined from an anecdotal report. 

(And, in case this inspires a "back at you" response, I am not excluding my own reviews which I do not purport to be doctrine but my honest opinion based on my reported experiences.)

Kal Rubinson

8 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

Isn't the "if" part, the first reason for doing the blind test? Only than can we move on to the "why" part. How did anecdotal reports sneak in?

I agree.  Where did we determine if there is a difference?  So far, we have only subjective and anecdotal opinions.   

Kal Rubinson

36 minutes ago, bhobba said:

You want to know why?

I have participated in and helped organise such tests.

First they are very difficult and time consuming to do.  Plus one little mistake renders them invalid.   In the last one I was involved in it was ruined because a DAC that  performs best grounded was not grounded by a simple error in not being careful what power point it was plugged into.   Weeks and weeks of work went into this - all ruined.

There are huge egos involved in it - the winner will reap the rewards - the losers will greatly suffer.  There is nothing really in it for anyone - except those that really count - us.   The only way it gets done is if people and their friends spend their own money getting the gear.   I have done it, but boy after a while you get sick and tired of forking out your own money.   Manufacturers will not help you - as I said they have a lot to loose.  

To anyone that is a blind test enthusiast - do one and report what happens here.   That way you will see exactly what the issues are.

Thanks

Bill

Yeah.  Been there, done that.

Kal Rubinson