IGNORED

Looking for advice on mechanical hum

9 minutes ago, One and a half said:

The hum then is not through the speakers , so it is not a signal problem. 

I would attach a power scope to the AC and analyse the voltage waveform with intent on a harmonics up to the 31st should be enough.

if you have a ups even if it is small one to power up the amp and Dac separately and see what the hum does.

Probably a little difficult for the average member to do though..

Even the steel top/lid of the case which is a little too close to the top of the transformer can cause this.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

On ‎5‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:15 PM, One and a half said:

I would attach a power scope to the AC and analyse the voltage waveform with intent on a harmonics up to the 31st should be enough.

I don't have access to gear like this that Garry mentioned, but if it happened to me I would try to get a rough idea by looking at the mains waveform on the secondary windings of a transformer that wasn't connected to anything else, with my old C.R.O.

To distort the mains waveform so badly it would normally need to come from some heavy current drawing device such as Peter mentioned  previously.

If you are able to verify that it is from some external source, your electricity supplier should be able to investigate further.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020