IGNORED

iPhone 6s- cable to dac/amp question

I have an iPhone 6s and I would like to add a dac/amp (looking at the Nano iDSD BL) to my setup. But I use one of those wireless charging cases that plugs into the lightening connector port, and then has a micro USB port at the bottom instead. So I was wondering if I would be able to use the cheaper Micro USB OTG that is meant for Android phones instead of the Apple CCK cable. Or is there something in the CCK cable that allows the signal to pass through?

• 4 weeks later...

A few DACs are idevice-Apple-sensitive, but most are not.  Those that are not can usually be used with the camera kit, but there are some that don't work for various reasons -trying to draw too much power from the device is one baddie.  And some of those can work with a powered USB, and so on.

Apple also has a MicroUSB to Lightning plug adapter, but not lightning to MicroUSB.

Thanks. I ended up getting the DragonFly Red. I tried the AudioQuest DragonTail USB Adaptor for Android Devices, which did not work. Actually, I was not able to tell if it just wasn't compatible, or if it was due to the fact that it did not seem to want to plug in completely due to the size of the base at the plug end.

So I just went with the Apple CCK which works fine.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2018 at 10:47 PM, mcgeggy said:

Thanks. I ended up getting the DragonFly Red. I tried the AudioQuest DragonTail USB Adaptor for Android Devices, which did not work. Actually, I was not able to tell if it just wasn't compatible, or if it was due to the fact that it did not seem to want to plug in completely due to the size of the base at the plug end.

So I just went with the Apple CCK which works fine.

I too have dragonfly red.  Are you by chance using the older CCK, or the newer version 3 that allows you to charge while you listen?  I have the latter. While I like the ability to charge and listen (not to mention I'm able to use DACs that would normally not work because I'm supplying more power).  Still, I'd like to have both CCKs because the original is sleeker for OTG use and isn't as unruly.  

I've read about issues where the older CCK causes pops/clicks in playback with dragonfly red.  Have you (or anyone else in this topic) noticed that?

5 hours ago, buonassi said:

I too have dragonfly red.  Are you by chance using the older CCK, or the newer version 3 that allows you to charge while you listen?  I have the latter. While I like the ability to charge and listen (not to mention I'm able to use DACs that would normally not work because I'm supplying more power).  Still, I'd like to have both CCKs because the original is sleeker for OTG use and isn't as unruly.  

I've read about issues where the older CCK causes pops/clicks in playback with dragonfly red.  Have you (or anyone else in this topic) noticed that?

Originally I bought the older cck, but then I read on the Audioquest site that they recommended the newer charging version for better sound quality. I found the newer one on Amazon for around the same price in a slightly damaged box, so I returned/exchanged the first one. I never really noticed any issues or differences in the sound, but yeah, the form factor is nicer on the non-charging version, lol.