IGNORED

Innuos Zenith SE MkII

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Expanding a bit on @Patatorz's excellent points above...

I have been having a spirited debate with Nuno via email on a similar theme. I've pointed out to him that, as delivered, the Zenith SE does not provide a path to users of certain ecosystems: 

• HQPlayer
  • Audirvana+, which also enables MQA SW decoding.

My observation to him was that they (Innuos) could, with very modest SW enhancements, massively expand the capability of the box. Their design principle is to deliver a highly optimized music server/player with a slick easy-to-use GUI. Given their design choices, they clearly do not have the horsepower for complex DSP and upsampling, for example.

My proposal was to enable NAA and UPnP renderer functionality on the box. Yes, these are renderer/endpoint functions, not server/player functions. But aren't server/endpoint distinctions artificial? in essence, the Zenith is a bespoke, ultra high-quality computer that can deliver exceptional signal integrity on the USB port to the DAC. With these enhancements, they could server much larger communities. They could make clear that there is a hierarchy for SQ:

• for best sonic performance, use the internal player with music files on local SSD
  • Need Roon? No problem.
    • Run Roon Core locally for performance approaching the internal player.
    • Want to do more compute intensive upsampling or DSP in Roon? No problem.
      • Run Roon Core on a powerful box on the network, and stream it through the Zenith via Roon Bridge.
  • Does your DAC sing with HQPlayer upsampling to DSD512? No problem.
    • Run HQPlayer on a powerful box on the network, and stream it through the Zenith via NAA.
  • Want to pass through MQA to your MQA-enabled DAC? 
    • Oops sorry - our internal player doesn't (yet) passthrough MQA from Tidal, but we'll fix that. Right? :)
    • Roon will pass through MQA to your MQA DAC
  • Don't have an MQA DAC, but want to leverage MQA software decoding in Audirvana+? No problem. 
    • Enable the UPnP renderer on the Zenith
    • Enable UPnP/DLNA streaming in A+, and select the Zenith as the endpoint.

So far, he is somewhat cool to these suggestions, as I think he/they really conceived of this product for technophobe audiophiles, not us tweakers here. But as I pointed out to him, both audiences can, and do, appreciate a well-engineered product, and he should open himself to the possibilities. Adding NAA and UPnP renderer function isn't hard, and the bang for buck is significant.

If you have an opinion on this, please share it here, but also with Innuos, as they need to hear that this is a desirable feature set expansion.

Hi Rajiv, 

Sorry but I'm not sure I agree with the above. Does playing the music on a "powerful box" upstream and turning the SE into a (very expensive) NAA not risk reintroducing the noise at source that the SE was conceived of to eliminate? 

Unless your upstream box is a cracker (good custom build or Antipodes DX etc) you're risking introducing noise that even the SE can only do so much to tame. 

Perhaps I'm biased by my own use-case but for me the attraction is a great low noise "source" that hooks up directly (or fairly directly for those using a TX-USBultra) to the DAC. 

I get the argument for more functionality. But if people want an NAA then the Sonore Signature Rendu or DCS Network bridge would make more sense to me than splashing 6k on an SE and using half its functionality. 

I'm with Nuno on this one. And think they should focus on reducing the gap between the internal player and Roon & Upnp servers (as suggested by your good self) first and foremost. 

Other nice to haves might include a direct Tidal app/player. And perhaps some sort of MQA support. I don't personally need that as between Roon and my PS Audio directstream bridge I get the full unfold. Better still an app that makes the awesome sounding internal player actually usable. The android control app is a stone cold turkey! 

Cheers, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

Hello Alan,

you are writing to AustinPop, but I try to give my 2 cents even if I’m not sure to understand your points (English is not my first language...).

i think there is different ways of using the Zenith :

1/ use it as a server standalone with Roon, UPnP or squeezebox servers. You can add a streamer with the bridged mode as it seems to be a qualitative way of using the zenith.

2/ use it as a streamer through USB and using other servers like Roon when you need powerful features like transcoding or Roon correction.

3/ use it as a server and a streamer.

it you are using a third party renderer, and if this renderer is NAA compatible so no need of the zenith

if you are using the zenith as a server and also renderer so NAA could be interesting but you need a HqPlayer on another computer....

i’m Not sure to understand what you mean by introducing noise with NAA client : could you elaborate a bit more as I don’t see how this portion of code like NAA could introduce noise.

Thanks

On 2/6/2018 at 11:50 AM, Advieira said:

Looking Innuos MkII inside, it has nothing impressive.

It's only a Good LPSU, connected in a J1900 Motherboard. No Clock board. No clocked Ethernet card. No USB regenerator card.

Is that it? Only a good LPSU and good software optmization to create all this fuss around it?

Yes, that’s it or you can get an SE version with MCap upgrade. Or their are other options for upgrade cards and reclocking board or MB as DIY too. Just matter of your taste. 

1 hour ago, Patatorz said:

Hello Alan,

you are writing to AustinPop, but I try to give my 2 cents even if I’m not sure to understand your points (English is not my first language...).

i think there is different ways of using the Zenith :

1/ use it as a server standalone with Roon, UPnP or squeezebox servers. You can add a streamer with the bridged mode as it seems to be a qualitative way of using the zenith.

2/ use it as a streamer through USB and using other servers like Roon when you need powerful features like transcoding or Roon correction.

3/ use it as a server and a streamer.

it you are using a third party renderer, and if this renderer is NAA compatible so no need of the zenith

if you are using the zenith as a server and also renderer so NAA could be interesting but you need a HqPlayer on another computer....

i’m Not sure to understand what you mean by introducing noise with NAA client : could you elaborate a bit more as I don’t see how this portion of code like NAA could introduce noise.

Thanks

Hi Patatorz, 

No worries - your english is excellent. 

My point was that the SE is a Server. It comes with storage and it is specifically designed to be a really low noise / high quality source of digital music. 

Therefore to reduce it to the role of NAA or endpoint doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. You then need to ensure that the upstream server is not adding noise. 

(this was my point you asked about). 

Experience is teaching us that if you avoid introducing noise at the source then you don't need all the decrapifiers and endpoints to isolate you from that noise. Therefore if you want to use the SE as an NAA/endpoint then does that not mean you are back to square one in trying to reduce the noise on the server/source feeding the SE?

Regards, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

On 2/7/2018 at 2:50 AM, Advieira said:

Looking Innuos MkII inside, it has nothing impressive.

It's only a Good LPSU, connected in a J1900 Motherboard. No Clock board. No clocked Ethernet card. No USB regenerator card.

Is that it? Only a good LPSU and good software optmization to create all this fuss around it?

I hardly can imagine how it can be better than C.A.P.S. v3...

03.jpg

Haha my stuff use a j1900 mobo as well, an a set of linear atx three times bigger....

1 hour ago, chauphuong said:

Haha my stuff use a j1900 mobo as well, an a set of linear atx three times bigger....

Interesting, can you share some light?

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

6 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

The android control app is a stone cold turkey!

What app are you talking about?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

In my recent review of the Zenith SE, I mentioned that I ran many more experiments than I could report.

Well, one of the experiments I ran was comparing the Zenith SE running as a Roon Core serving local content vs. the SE running as a Roon Bridge, serving content from a remote Core on the network. My key findings were:

1. While the local case (Roon Core, local files) did sound a tad better, the difference was not very large.
  2. The intermediate case - Roon core on the SE, with remote files on the NAS - slotted in between these 2 configurations, SQ wise.
  3. Caveat - the remote cases are greatly improved by all the known ethernet improvements, that i had in place:
    • bridging from the remote Core
    • isolation from the JS combo of low- and high-impedance noise using ground shunts and a switch with known magnetics - the Netgear GS105
    • Reclocked switch - my modded Zyxel with sCLK-EX input

My point here is that even though the SE may not be marketed as an endpoint, it can deliver the same benefits when run as a renderer as it dose as a server. This is due to the HW. 

Now - I understand marketing and market positioning, so if Innuos choose not to put features like NAA or UPnP player functionality, it's their choice.

6 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Does playing the music on a "powerful box" upstream and turning the SE into a (very expensive) NAA not risk reintroducing the noise at source that the SE was conceived of to eliminate? 

Not if you isolate properly with bridging, shunting  and reclocking in the switches like I do.

Unless your upstream box is a cracker (good custom build or Antipodes DX etc) you're risking introducing noise that even the SE can only do so much to tame. 

Nope, my upstream box is as vanilla as it gets - a Dell desktop with no tuning, other than AO and Process Lasso.

3 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

My point was that the SE is a Server

Not really. Quoting myself above, "the Zenith is a bespoke, ultra high-quality computer that can deliver exceptional signal integrity on the USB port to the DAC." From a HW perspective, that's it. Whether you run server or renderer software on it, or both, is a matter of choice.

3 hours ago, rickca said:

What app are you talking about?

Ipeng9

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,

Just now, ismewor said:

Ipeng9

I'm using ipeng9 on an iPad Pro and I like it more than Lumin or BubbleUPnP.  I don't think it runs on Android.  Hoping that @BigAlMc clarifies which Android app he feels is no good.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, rickca said:

I'm using ipeng9 on an iPad Pro and I like it more than Lumin or BubbleUPnP.  I don't think it runs on Android.  Hoping that @BigAlMc clarifies which Android app he feels is no good.  

OrangeSqueeze - no matter what I try I can only get it to play 1 track at a time and then it stops. 

9 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

OrangeSqueeze - no matter what I try I can only get it to play 1 track at a time and then it stops. 

Have you send mail to the dev?

4 hours ago, austinpop said:

Not really. Quoting myself above, "the Zenith is a bespoke, ultra high-quality computer that can deliver exceptional signal integrity on the USB port to the DAC." From a HW perspective, that's it. Whether you run server or renderer software on it, or both, is a matter of choice.

I know what you are saying and mostly agree. 

But:

http://www.innuos.com/en/catalog/go/music-servers-mk2

First and foremost it's a server. 

6 minutes ago, ismewor said:

Have you send mail to the dev?

Nope. But that's a good shout. Next time I play around with it I might just do that. 

Nuno from Innuos pinged me last night and explained there was a way to play the whole album. Need to try that. But I'd still want some sort of play track next functionality so I can browse and play selected tracks. 

4 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Looks like I owe OrangeSqueeze an apology. I spent the last couple hours playing around with it and 3 other LMS controller apps and they all seem to do the same thing. 

Play track - fine. 

Play album - fine. 

Play track and try to line up another track - nah uh - just stops at end of current track. 

Regardless whether I use Play Next or Add To End (of current playlist) all four Apps do the same thing. Confirm the track is added but stops playing at the end of the current track. 

I've pinged a query to Nuno but meantime is anyone else with an SE or MKII having more luck with this on the LMS server? Am I missing a setting somewhere? And you are having more luck teeing up tracks is that on Android, Apple or other platforms? 

Many Thanks, 

Alan 

PS the other apps were Squeezer, Sqeeze Ctrl and InnoPlay (no relationship to Innuos). 

1 hour ago, BigAlMc said:

Regardless whether I use Play Next or Add To End (of current playlist) all four Apps do the same thing. Confirm the track is added but stops playing at the end of the current track. 

I’m using Orange Squeeze and it does that fine..`i’m not using an Innuos, so I’m not sure it’s an app problem.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hi Firedog, 

Sorry I probably wasn't clear enough. The fact 4 different apps are doing the same thing makes me think it's an issue on the Innuos side. Either I'm missing a setting somewhere or there's something weird in their implementation of the LMS server. 

I've sent the questions to Nuno at Innuos but meantime I wondered if other Innuos owners were having more luck. 

If I recall correctly you were considering either the MKII or a Sonore Signature Rendu previously but undecided. Was that right? Do you mind if I ask what you are using OrangeSqueeze with? Did you pull the trigger or is it your previous server? 

Cheers, 

Alan 

I have orange Squeeze on both a Samsung phone and a Lenovo tablet. Works well on both-it is the only LMS app that hasn’t caused me problems on Android. I’m running LMS on my Windows 10 server.

As far as a player, your memory is correct, but in the end I changed my mind and ordered a Bricasti M5. It should be here in about 2 weeks.

I have to pay 32% customs and VAT here, so in the end I decided the Sonore was more than I wanted to spend.

As far as the Innuous, I came to the conclusion that the HD was a problem - both in terms of cost and capacity. Plus, not user upgradeable or fixable if it breaks. I decided  in my situation I’d rather have something without a HD in the player. Simpler, and less chance for something to go wrong and need service.

That’s how  I got to the Bricasti. It has the side benefit of also having AES and spdif outs, which I don’t really need, but will be interesting to have and compare to the USB. It’s a bit like the Sonore, one box with good PS and noise reduction built in.

I’ll post some impressions after I’ve had it a while.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hi Firedog, 

Congrats on your purchase. I've read great reviews of the M5 and it sounds like a good option. I also quite like it's distinctive styling. 

Will look forward to seeing your listening impressions. 

Cheers, 

Alan 

So an update on my 'apologies to the OrangeSqueeze' topic. 

After some correspondence with Nuno at Innuos we have some progress. 

Nuno suggested I try the following. 

With no track playing add 2 or 3 tracks to the current play list. Then start playing.  I did so and hey presto all 3 played! 

His theory is that the issue is when the track you are adding is the next track then it fails to start. So the assumed workaround is that if you have at least two queued tracks yet to play then you can continue to add additional tracks. 

I'm going to try testing this workaround this morning. After all it's Sunday morning so a lazy couple hours with my hifi sounds pretty good to me :D

Meantime Innuos are going to further investigate and hopefully fix this odd behaviour. 

And whilst the issue has been a little frustrating I have to say kudos to Nuno/Innuos for the great support and replies - especially at the weekend. 

So it's less that four months since I took the decision to simplify and remove all the spaghetti from my system in favour of a simpler kick-ass server direct to kick-ass DAC approach.

My SU-1, my MicroRendu and all that wonderful stuff was banished!

5a89861eed974_Spaghettibanned.thumb.jpg.ba96da2eac02b9ff947ed45f300540f1.jpg

And I'm very happy with that decision as my Zenith SE is sounding terrific.

On top of that is the benefit that the cables behind my rack are now reduced to what one could charitably describe as ridiculous. But that's a big improvement on completely ridiculous :P

But there has been a fly in the ointment. And it's one that's come into clearer focus now that I have the LMS player working reasonably well because now USB has a clear sonic edge vs ethernet into my DAC. On Roon the two formats are evenly tied and I couldn't discern an audible difference.

Well the LMS player as commented by Austinpop in his review is very well implemented in the SE and plays from cache memory. This USB only output has a clear edge on the SQ from Roon. And as a Roon lover this is a proper dilemma. The great Roon UX vs better sound quality. Sigh...

Anyway the fly in the ointment is all the comments I've read from respected 'ears' including AustinPop, Liminscate and Romaz who all attest that the SoTM TX-USB-Ultra lifts the USB output from the Zenith SE to new heights. I figured that at some point I needed to find out for myself but now that USB has a clear edge (and is usable courtesy of Nuno's playlist workaround) well that itch was needing scratched.

Just pulled the trigger on a TX-USBultra on Ebay. The chap is selling it practically new (reckons it has 20 hours burn-in so far) for just under £900 and they are £1200 new here in the UK. So my thinking is that if it doesn't add anything to the SQ I can sell it for pretty much what I paid for it. But based on the reviews I fear I won't be selling it any time soon :/

Of course the addition of one new noodle, the TX-USBultra, means that I need to dust down one of the LPS-1s I was planning on selling any day now. And luckily I still have a spare decent USB cable (though I'm now regretting selling my Curious cable - doh!).

And I'm going to close my eyes/ears/mind completely to thoughts of reference clocks like the Cybershaft, Ref10 or new SoTM one for now..... :ph34r:

Am standing at the top of what looks like a slippery slope!

5a898a00e5adf_Superspaghetti.thumb.jpg.e3fc33c0125eb3ec48427c71fe1b8282.jpg

Cheers,

Alan the pasta chef!

1 hour ago, BigAlMc said:

So it's less that four months since I took the decision to simplify and remove all the spaghetti from my system in favour of a simpler kick-ass server direct to kick-ass DAC approach.

My SU-1, my MicroRendu and all that wonderful stuff was banished!

5a89861eed974_Spaghettibanned.thumb.jpg.ba96da2eac02b9ff947ed45f300540f1.jpg

And I'm very happy with that decision as my Zenith SE is sounding terrific.

On top of that is the benefit that the cables behind my rack are now reduced to what one could charitably describe as ridiculous. But that's a big improvement on completely ridiculous :P

But there has been a fly in the ointment. And it's one that's come into clearer focus now that I have the LMS player working reasonably well because now USB has a clear sonic edge vs ethernet into my DAC. On Roon the two formats are evenly tied and I couldn't discern an audible difference.

Well the LMS player as commented by Austinpop in his review is very well implemented in the SE and plays from cache memory. This USB only output has a clear edge on the SQ from Roon. And as a Roon lover this is a proper dilemma. The great Roon UX vs better sound quality. Sigh...

Anyway the fly in the ointment is all the comments I've read from respected 'ears' including AustinPop, Liminscate and Romaz who all attest that the SoTM TX-USB-Ultra lifts the USB output from the Zenith SE to new heights. I figured that at some point I needed to find out for myself but now that USB has a clear edge (and is usable courtesy of Nuno's playlist workaround) well that itch was needing scratched.

Just pulled the trigger on a TX-USBultra on Ebay. The chap is selling it practically new (reckons it has 20 hours burn-in so far) for just under £900 and they are £1200 new here in the UK. So my thinking is that if it doesn't add anything to the SQ I can sell it for pretty much what I paid for it. But based on the reviews I fear I won't be selling it any time soon :/

Of course the addition of one new noodle, the TX-USBultra, means that I need to dust down one of the LPS-1s I was planning on selling any day now. And luckily I still have a spare decent USB cable (though I'm now regretting selling my Curious cable - doh!).

And I'm going to close my eyes/ears/mind completely to thoughts of reference clocks like the Cybershaft, Ref10 or new SoTM one for now..... :ph34r:

Am standing at the top of what looks like a slippery slope!

5a898a00e5adf_Superspaghetti.thumb.jpg.e3fc33c0125eb3ec48427c71fe1b8282.jpg

Cheers,

Alan the pasta chef!

Congrats, we’ll look forward to your review!

As for the slippery slope, anyone who’s still following this thread is already sliding down, where a delicious bowl of pasta awaits. :D 

All we’ve been able to do is control the portion size. 9_9 

But when I sprinkle the grated parmesan on top the calorie count just continues to rise! x-D