IGNORED

Innuos Zenith SE MkII

If this 2TB HD drive is your only copy of that music, I would try the step by step migration through a USB 128GB key in FAT32. Copying first few albums, just to see if all works fine.

Trying to fix hard drive partition is a risky step as long it's not clear your import procedure is correct...

I can see a need to buy a couple USB thumb drives and try that. Do I have to format the thumb drives or will they take the files and allow me to import them direct to the Zenith?

here is a snapshot of my hard drive. I’m also going to buy a external hard drive.  OWD said they can format it for me. Should I have them format it for me in the NFTS that Innuos recommended?

B39BDEA9-C163-4980-BA99-4527D2DB626F.jpeg

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.

17 hours ago, Vangelis said:

This may not be the appropriate forum for this.

Is there a reason why Innuos might prefer NTFS over Fat32?

I’m at a loss about how to move forward. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you formatted your drive using a Mac, your drive was likely formatted in a "Mac OS Extended" format.  If you do a "Get Info" on your drive you can see the format as shown in this screen shot.  The Linux operating system that Innuos uses cannot read this format.  It can read the other two.

So what you must do is use Disk Utility to erase the drive (after first removing your music).  You can then select Fat32 as the format for your drive.

image.png.9475303ac242e9741a1f99ec129eb3b7.png

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

2 hours ago, Vangelis said:

I can see a need to buy a couple USB thumb drives and try that. Do I have to format the thumb drives or will they take the files and allow me to import them direct to the Zenith?

here is a snapshot of my hard drive. I’m also going to buy a external hard drive.  OWD said they can format it for me. Should I have them format it for me in the NFTS that Innuos recommended?

Use Fat32.  The macOS can't write to NTFS. Please note that the format in the image you shared shows that this is already FAT32.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

On 7/16/2020 at 3:53 PM, kennyb123 said:

If you formatted your drive using a Mac, your drive was likely formatted in a "Mac OS Extended" format.  If you do a "Get Info" on your drive you can see the format as shown in this screen shot.  The Linux operating system that Innuos uses cannot read this format.  It can read the other two.

So what you must do is use Disk Utility to erase the drive (after first removing your music).  You can then select Fat32 as the format for your drive.

image.png.9475303ac242e9741a1f99ec129eb3b7.png

Hi Kenny, check out photograph above and under the format it shows at MS-DOS (Fat32) so the mystery continues. I’ve ordered a large US thumb drive to try and transfer a few small files at a time and see what happens. Also also ordered brand new 2TB external drive to  transfer my files hopefully without also moving the old issue to the new drive , then I can try to import the files on to the Zenith. Innuos support recommends formatting the drives to NTFS.  Meanwhile, I’ve been working on my network and making improvements. I’ve been learning a lot while I’m waiting to solve the import issue.

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.

15 minutes ago, Vangelis said:

Hi Kenny, check out photograph above and under the format it shows at MS-DOS (Fat32) so the mystery continues. I’ve ordered a large US thumb drive to try and transfer a few small files at a time and see what happens. Also also ordered brand new 2TB external drive to  transfer my files hopefully without also moving the old issue to the new drive , then I can try to import the files on to the Zenith. Innuos support recommends formatting the drives to NTFS.  Meanwhile, I’ve been working on my network and making improvements. I’ve been learning a lot while I’m waiting to solve the import issue.

Sorry I didn’t look closely enough at the screenshot.  Why not transfer your music over the network?  It’s really easy to do that.  You should see your Zenith from Finder on your Mac by selecting Network from the Go menu.  

4 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

Sorry I didn’t look closely enough at the screenshot.  Why not transfer your music over the network?  It’s really easy to do that.  You should see your Zenith from Finder on your Mac by selecting Network from the Go menu.  

that is how I loaded mine as well. MAC over network to the Innuos

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

• 1 year later...

Looks like I might be able to get a fairly good deal on a Zenith SE, if I trade in my MK2 Zenith, which will be paired with the Phoenix.

@BigAlMc as a long term owner of both the SE, the Phoenix and a previous owner of a MK2 Zenith, is the upgrade worth it?

Innuos Zenith MK2, Innuos Phoenix USB re-clocker, KEF LS50 active speakers

4 minutes ago, Tait said:

Looks like I might be able to get a fairly good deal on a Zenith SE, if I trade in my MK2 Zenith, which will be paired with the Phoenix.

@BigAlMc as a long term owner of both the SE, the Phoenix and a previous owner of a MK2 Zenith, is the upgrade worth it?

Yes!

I'm loving the combo of the SE and the Phoenix.

And from the moment I added the Phoenix I knew it was a keeper.

Let us know how you get on if you pull the trigger.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

The Phoenix really is superb, to the point where I wondered just how much an improvement adding an SE would make!

Is it an obvious improvement?

I've got until Monday to decide.

The only thing that's, slightly, putting me off is it's a silver SE and my Phoenix is black. Not sure if my OCD could take it! Haha!

@Tait, sorry, realised I only answered half your question.

MKII > MKII SE - defo a big improvement

MKII SE + Phoenix - defo a big improvement

I can't say for sure about your use case of MKII + Phoenix > MKII SE + Phoenix but I very strongly suspect it would be a big improvement.

The SE and the Phoenix brought different things to the party in my system.

The SE brought that wonderful smoothness and control. 

The Phoenix brought texture and dynamics.

So in your shoes I'd probably go for the SE.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

8 minutes ago, Tait said:

putting me off is it's a silver SE and my Phoenix is black. Not sure if my OCD could take it!

Yeah, I couldn't cope with that. 

For me that would either be a deal breaker or along the road I'd look to sell the Phoenix and buy a used silver one.

Hey Taity (back to my school days 😁)

The upgrade from Zenith MkII to SE is (IMO) worth the money in terms of SQ when they were new, so if you can get an SE at a reduced price, even more so. 

By design I have a mix of silver and black in my racks and IMO it looks very cool….more interesting than just all black or all silver and I’m a very fussy err person.   The SE is a limited edition with only 100 out there and there’re a lot of folks who won’t be parted from their SE, its that good. 

12 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

and I’m a very fussy err person

😄

12 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

there’re a lot of folks who won’t be parted from their SE, its that good. 

Yup. Mine ain't going anywhere and it's gonna take something special to knock it off its place on my rack. Admittedly I flirted the the idea of a Statement but felt the Phoenix had closed the gap sufficiently to set my mind at rest.

1 hour ago, Blackmorec said:

Hey Taity (back to my school days 😁)

The upgrade from Zenith MkII to SE is (IMO) worth the money in terms of SQ when they were new, so if you can get an SE at a reduced price, even more so. 

You guys aren't making it any easier to turn down 😅

6 hours ago, Tait said:

You guys aren't making it any easier to turn down 😅

I swapped my Zenith Mk2 Std for a Mk3.  This was a very significant upgrade with across the board improvements.  The SE is said to be even better than the Mk3.  I don’t think you’d regret the purchase for a second.