IGNORED

Innuos Zenith SE MkII

I hope it´s OK for Innuos that I share the information I got from Nuno some weeks ago:

"Our USB Reclocker will include the Statement USB Reclocker Board as well as 2x Statement-Level Linear power supplies in half-width chassis with the same depth as the SE. Price is TBC but in the region of $3000. Do note that this would replace the equivalent of a TX-USBUltra, a very good LPSU for the TX-USBUltra, a Mutec REF10, clock cables and at least one good power chord. Compared to that, we're talking about half the price. We expect to launch it around July but still to be confirmed."

Thanks Ralf,

I was talking to Sean Jacobs last week and that's in line with what he said - ie release this summer. That's why I was annoyed at the 6-8 months more as just seems to keep getting pushed out. Let's see I guess.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

20 hours ago, baconbrain said:

both the USB and Ethernet Port upgrades were going to be released within the next 6 to 8 months

This is the first time I've heard that there's an ethernet upgrade.  If it costs $3K like the USB reclocker, you may as well just get a Statement.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

3 hours ago, rickca said:

This is the first time I've heard that there's an ethernet upgrade.  If it costs $3K like the USB reclocker, you may as well just get a Statement.

Also a first for me. Considering everything they are wanting to modify, they could just offer the SE owners a trade-in, and be done with it.

18 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Thanks Ralf,

I was talking to Sean Jacobs last week and that's in line with what he said - ie release this summer. That's why I was annoyed at the 6-8 months more as just seems to keep getting pushed out. Let's see I guess.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Just to say, if the USB re-clocking interface sounds as good as the Statement’s, and it should given its the same components, it will be well worth the wait. I waited 9 months for the Statement but I can tell you it was well worth the wait. Its already been in my system almost 5 months and is delivering breathtaking performance.  In addition, I applied the same ‘Statement’  SQ strategy of SJ LPSs, vibration control and high quality cables to the rest of my network streaming supply (from Modem to Statement) and the result is remarkable. 

41 minutes ago, nvitorino said:

Hi,

Just returning from Munich and catching up on the world. Just a quick heads up with regards to the Ethernet Reclocker Switch we've spoken about to some at Munich. The Reclocker Switch will take a good deal longer than the USB Reclocker - we are designing the switch from scratch as simply changing the clock on an existing commercial switch leaves too much potential untapped. This is the same approach we have taken with the USB Reclocker to a great effect. As such, we are expecting the USB Reclocker to be ready around end of July. Ethernet we would recon more towards the end of the year.

Not everyone needs both a USB Reclocker and the Ethernet Switch. We have SE customers who basically don't do streaming, which will be the main advantage of having the reclocker, as well as customers who use the SE with another streamer and don't connect to a USB DAC. In those cases, they only need one of the boxes. For those who want both, the Statement is indeed a tidier solution but also one that requires a bigger upfront investment whereas the reclocker units can be purchased as you go.

Nuno

Nuno - have you considered selling your USB reclocker without power supply for those who already invested in a state of the art LPS (such as a Paul Hynes SR7 let's say)? There will be a number of members on this forum who would jump on it right away.

Industry disclosure:
https://chicagohifi.com

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Conrad Johnson, Audio Mirror, and Sean Jacobs

3 hours ago, nvitorino said:

Hi,

Just returning from Munich and catching up on the world. Just a quick heads up with regards to the Ethernet Reclocker Switch we've spoken about to some at Munich. The Reclocker Switch will take a good deal longer than the USB Reclocker - we are designing the switch from scratch as simply changing the clock on an existing commercial switch leaves too much potential untapped. This is the same approach we have taken with the USB Reclocker to a great effect. As such, we are expecting the USB Reclocker to be ready around end of July. Ethernet we would recon more towards the end of the year.

Not everyone needs both a USB Reclocker and the Ethernet Switch. We have SE customers who basically don't do streaming, which will be the main advantage of having the reclocker, as well as customers who use the SE with another streamer and don't connect to a USB DAC. In those cases, they only need one of the boxes. For those who want both, the Statement is indeed a tidier solution but also one that requires a bigger upfront investment whereas the reclocker units can be purchased as you go.

Nuno

Thanks for clarifying. Didn’t understand it to be a stand alone switch.

4 hours ago, nvitorino said:

Hi,

Nuno

Hi Nuno,

Good news on the USB reclocker. But is the lan offering an Ethernet reclocker or an Ethernet switch?

Thanks,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

15 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Hi Nuno,

Good news on the USB reclocker. But is the lan offering an Ethernet reclocker or an Ethernet switch?

Thanks,

Alan

It's indeed a complete switch implementation but running the same OCXO clock we use on the Statement. We plan do design 1 input port and 2 or 4 output ports. 8 ports as seen on some devices look overkill to us and the empty ports are more antennas for noise to seep in. 2 outputs are probably enough for most audiophile setups - even new active speaker designs would require only 2 connections. 4 ports would provide a bit more flexibility though if someone does have multiple rooms. Your thoughts here would be interesting.

19 hours ago, Nenon said:

Nuno - have you considered selling your USB reclocker without power supply for those who already invested in a state of the art LPS (such as a Paul Hynes SR7 let's say)? There will be a number of members on this forum who would jump on it right away.

Some of you may suspect insidious reasons (more $$$ to Innuos) but the point is really to have the shortest possible paths to both clean power and signals. You would need two rails anyway and the power to the clock is quite critical. It's less spaghetti and less cost on good cables. Whilst we could offer a version with and without power supplies, the issue here is stock management and the required project to design another different chassis, production line, training etc... In the end, if performance is not the same as the integrated unit, that would quickly become a much less preferred option.

I don't think there is any such thing as having too many linear power supplies anyway - there's always a device around that benefits from one 🙂

Nuno

59 minutes ago, nvitorino said:

I don't think there is any such thing as having too many linear power supplies anyway - there's always a device around that benefits from one

Since the power supply is often one the most expensive parts of a device I’d like to buy once and re-use for any type of device where developments and advancements go in high speed e.g. computer audio. When an Innuos ‘switch MKII’ is released next year one would have to buy the PSU again since it’s integrated.

Anyway, I understand the rationale and that there’s different types of buyers in the market so nothing wrong with your approach.

13 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Since the power supply is often one the most expensive parts of a device I’d like to buy once and re-use for any type of device where developments and advancements go in high speed e.g. computer audio. When an Innuos ‘switch MKII’ is released next year one would have to buy the PSU again since it’s integrated.

Anyway, I understand the rationale and that there’s different types of buyers in the market so nothing wrong with your approach.

Hi Dutch,

Completely understand your view and it's a good point. Although, taken to the extreme, we would end up with quite a few boxes around. It's indeed the rationale to have everything separate - source, dac, pre-amp, monoblocks (eventually all with separate PSU's). It's just a whole lot of boxes and cables...

The other consideration is that power supplies evolve too. There's certainly still room for improvement there... So even it the case of a "Switch MkII", there would be a good chance the PSU itself is upgraded then.

Nuno

2 hours ago, nvitorino said:

Some of you may suspect insidious reasons (more $$$ to Innuos) but the point is really to have the shortest possible paths to both clean power and signals. You would need two rails anyway and the power to the clock is quite critical. It's less spaghetti and less cost on good cables. Whilst we could offer a version with and without power supplies, the issue here is stock management and the required project to design another different chassis, production line, training etc... In the end, if performance is not the same as the integrated unit, that would quickly become a much less preferred option.

Perhaps a DIY version then? Sell the USB card and let the buyer worry about chassis, power, shortest path, etc. The people who have the time and skills to fiddle with that stuff are most likely not potential Statement customers, so that would be a completely different target. 

Industry disclosure:

8 hours ago, nvitorino said:

4 ports would provide a bit more flexibility though if someone does have multiple rooms. Your thoughts here would be interesting.

Thanks Nuno,

I'd imagine that 8 is overkill for most users but 4 would be preferable to 2, for that flexibility you mention.

Might be OT and not quite the use-case you had in mind but a few users on this forum and another I keep an eye on have reported the SoTM switch having a beneficial impact on their Netflix streaming quality. This certainly has me intrigued as it would be a great bonus.

I'm currently on the fence between buying the SoTM switch or waiting for the Uptone one. More than happy for the good folks at Innuos to give me a dilemma tho 😁

Meantime any updates on the USB relocker would be great as you get closer.

Cheers,

Alan

Hello - looking for advice from the Innuos owners here.  I am currently running this USB chain: Innuos MKII 4TB>SOtM tX-USBultra>PS Audio DS Sr.  If I was looking to upgrade down the line would I be better off:

1) Adding the Innuos USB Reclocker (assuming this replaces the SOtM)

2) Selling the MKII and purchasing a MKIII

3) Other

Thank you

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

8 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

Hello - looking for advice from the Innuos owners here.  I am currently running this USB chain: Innuos MKII 4TB>SOtM tX-USBultra>PS Audio DS Sr.  If I was looking to upgrade down the line would I be better off:

3) Other

Thank you

My recommendation:

1 - Sell MKII and get MKIII, then

2 - Get the USB reclocker when it launches 

29 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

3) Other

Thank you

Hey Frank,

Not sure anyone can really answer re the Innuos Reclocker until they get their hands on it and hear it in action. No disrespect to Innuos but it's a promised future product only at this stage.

There might be people out there including perhaps Innuos who can advise on the performance delta between the MKII and MKIII.

Meantime there is a 3rd option. People are gushing about the difference the Evox caps & silver wiring makes to the TX-USBUltra. So getting the TX upgraded may be a cheaper way to improve performance whilst you await the USB reclocker reviews. Would also increase the resale value of the TX if you then change direction to the Innuos reclocker.

What PSU are you using on the TX-USBUltra? That might also be an area for improvement.

Never short of options in the crazy baffling hobby of ours! 😄

Cheers,

Alan

30 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Hey Frank,

Not sure anyone can really answer re the Innuos Reclocker until they get their hands on it and hear it in action. No disrespect to Innuos but it's a promised future product only at this stage.

There might be people out there including perhaps Innuos who can advise on the performance delta between the MKII and MKIII.

Meantime there is a 3rd option. People are gushing about the difference the Evox caps & silver wiring makes to the TX-USBUltra. So getting the TX upgraded may be a cheaper way to improve performance whilst you await the USB reclocker reviews. Would also increase the resale value of the TX if you then change direction to the Innuos reclocker.

What PSU are you using on the TX-USBUltra? That might also be an area for improvement.

Never short of options in the crazy baffling hobby of ours! 😄

Cheers,

Alan

Great points as always Alan.

When you say upgrade the TX-USBUltra do you mean purchase the upgraded model and sell existing? Or does SOtM have an upgrade path?

Would love feedback on the delta between the MKII & MKIII.  Love the MKII but if I can swap for a bit of cash it might make sense if the improvements are significant (IE MKIII benefitting from SE & Statement development). I also probably don't need the 4TB (maybe 2TB would work). Original thought was I wanted the extra space for the long term but is there really a long term with the technology changing so fast?

I'm using the Uptone LPS 1.2 for the TX. Phasure Lush I & II USB cables. Also have an upgraded Audio Sensibilities Silver Signature DC cable between the Uptone/TX

Thank you

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

Hi Frank,

It's an upgrade option that SoTM offer.

So the downside is you need to pay for shipping the TX to and back from South Korea. But the upgrade itself is reasonable at approx $200.

This link is for the sNH-10G but it describes the same upgrade:

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/shop/additional-changes-for-snh-10g/

A few respected members such as Romaz and Johnseye have said it makes a real difference.

I think it's mostly on the Novel Way thread but I'll try to find a link.

The LPS-1.2 is pretty darn good. Think you'd need to go for a Paul Hynes SR4 and the associated drama of his notorious delivery schedule to beat it.

I've got a Sean Jacobs DC3 ordered and due by end of this month. But that's intended for my NUCs. Am contemplating getting my TX upgraded but on the fence as I'd also like to simplify my setup.

Cheers,

Alan

Promised link:

On 5/13/2019 at 3:42 PM, nvitorino said:

Hi,

Nuno

Hi Nuno.  It’s good to learn that the USB reclocker’s release is not too far off.  Would I be right in thinking that its weight/casework would argue against stacking on top of an SE?  The SE of course lacks the strength and shielding effect of one-centimetre thick aluminium.

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 10:54 AM, austinpop said:

I forget offhand what the default fuse is in the SE, but I’ve learned (the hard way) that SR recommends installing a higher rated Blue fuse. Typically a multiplier of 1.33-1.5x.

To be safe, I’d call them (SR) and double check.

Hi @austinpop Not having much luck here on this fuse upgrade. Innuous is stating:

For the fuse will need to get the following type:

Slow Blow, 2A, 250 V
5mm x 20mm / 0.2" x 0.79"
As long as the fuse adheres to these specs, it should be fine

SR is not answering my questions regarding a recommended multiplier. They have 2A, 2.5A & 3.15A versions. 

1.33 (2.66) and 1.5 (3) are not avail (at least from The Cable Co)

For people that have upgraded the SE fuse to an SR, what size are you using?

10 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

Hi @austinpop Not having much luck here on this fuse upgrade. Innuous is stating:

For the fuse will need to get the following type:

Slow Blow, 2A, 250 V
5mm x 20mm / 0.2" x 0.79"
As long as the fuse adheres to these specs, it should be fine

SR is not answering my questions regarding a recommended multiplier. They have 2A, 2.5A & 3.15A versions. 

1.33 (2.66) and 1.5 (3) are not avail (at least from The Cable Co)

For people that have upgraded the SE fuse to an SR, what size are you using?

My short answer is: get the 3.15A. You can read the long answer below.

I have discovered that in some cases, higher rated fuses could make the sound of my system more open, more dynamic, improve the bass, etc. Haven't tested with my digital source, but I always get a little bit higher value. You have two options:

1. You can stick to the manufacturer recommendations, but then you are risking of blowing a $150 fuse.

2. You can get the 2.5A or the 3.15A. I would get the 3.15A. The risk of blowing it is down to a minimum. Chances are your fuse would work for years to come and you may even get a small improvement out of it. The risk is that if something in your SE goes wrong (very unlikely) Innuos may decide to void your warranty because of the higher rated fuse (also unlikely). 

The most important purpose of the fuse is to protect your equipment from catching on fire if something goes wrong. The difference between 2A and 3.15A is small enough not to be the cause of catching on fire. 

Also, because of a risk of fire, there are liability issues that play big role here. The equipment manufacturer would put the lowest possible fuse value and would not recommend to use a higher value. The fuse manufacturer would not take the risk to recommend a higher value than the manufacturer... why be liable for that? The worst that can happen, you would keep blowing fuses and keeping buying new ones. That's not necessarily a bad thing for the fuse manufacturer, is it?

So, we need to apply some common sense here. I would not put a 15A fuse, but a little higher rated fuse could open up the sound a little and would not blow easily just from a quick spike. IMO, you are safe to go with 3.15A in this case. But it's a risk / compromise you need to take. Hope that makes sense. 

Industry disclosure:

Hello @Nenon  that makes sense and thanks for the detailed answer