IGNORED

Innuos Zenith SE MkII

11 hours ago, yellowblue said:

I just get stuttering or the playback stops when I skip to the next track with the new experimental option. So I try to avoid that and really enjoy the much better SQ. It´s worth it for me.

My perspective as well.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, FrankMA said:

I am seeing some odd behavior with the update.  With the experimental feature/Roon I am seeing the songs not increment. For example it is playing a song that is different (next in queue) from what Roon is showing as now playing

I experienced that even before the update when in experimental mode.  It may be occurring more often though since the update.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 3 months later...
On 11/19/2019 at 5:20 AM, FrankMA said:

I have basically given up on the squeezelite experimental player. Too many stoppages/dropouts/erratic behavior. But I really miss the improved sound quality........................

I tried to give it up a few times.  I returned though after finding that another system upgrade made the benefits of experimental mode more evident.  

I really wish Roon would get serious about improving both sound quality and search performance.  

If Innuos was able to stabilize Experimental mode, I think it would give them a nice competitive advantage.  They could call it Roon Optimized Mode or Roon Enhanced Mode.  

• 6 months later...
On 5/20/2020 at 2:01 PM, FrankMA said:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong on my PS Audio Sr DAC does not accept native DSD. Does this DSD playback in Roon make sense (DSD over PCM)?

Thank you

That is the correct display when the DAC does not support native DSD.

6F0FDA31-1F95-4FE8-9BE3-FEDEE9433407.jpeg.3a3944b36900a85c96072d27297c5802.jpeg

4 hours ago, yellowblue said:

BTW, the experimental mode that comes with new firmware is not as stable as I reported first. Last evening I wanted to listen to different new albums on Tidal and skipped to next track often within 20 seconds or so. Playing stopped sometimes and sometimes the Roon-player skipped two songs instead for one. Much better than version 1.4.3 but still not perfect. But a normal evening when you don´t skip every few seconds you very rarely will have much problems. I really can live with that.

My experience as well.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Vangelis said:

I don’t want to get into which file sounds better but I want to get my file converted. closest to my native AIFF files. Unfortunately I cannot copy my files over in their native AIFF format. I understand that WAV is the closest file type to AIFF.  I’ve heard rumors that newer servers can reach out and grab metadata now for WAV files, at least artwork artist and song information. But I’m not sure the Innuos will do that. Is there anybody at imported wave files in to the Zenith and found album art etc attached? I guess if the AIFF & FLAC file size are the same I could at least try it. 

I'm not quite understanding why you can't copy files over in AIFF format.  I've done this.  And yes, WAV and AIFF are both uncompressed formats that are very similar, though ID3v2 tags can be embedded in AIFF.  I won't use WAV files because of the lack of embedded tag support.  

As I understand it, the choice between WAV and FLAC on the Zenith governs only which format CDs are ripped to using their built-in ripper.  AIFF is supported.

• 2 weeks later...

I always leave my digital components powered on as clocks sound best once they've thermally stabilized.  

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Vangelis said:

This may not be the appropriate forum for this.

Is there a reason why Innuos might prefer NTFS over Fat32?

I’m at a loss about how to move forward. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you formatted your drive using a Mac, your drive was likely formatted in a "Mac OS Extended" format.  If you do a "Get Info" on your drive you can see the format as shown in this screen shot.  The Linux operating system that Innuos uses cannot read this format.  It can read the other two.

So what you must do is use Disk Utility to erase the drive (after first removing your music).  You can then select Fat32 as the format for your drive.

image.png.9475303ac242e9741a1f99ec129eb3b7.png

2 hours ago, Vangelis said:

I can see a need to buy a couple USB thumb drives and try that. Do I have to format the thumb drives or will they take the files and allow me to import them direct to the Zenith?

here is a snapshot of my hard drive. I’m also going to buy a external hard drive.  OWD said they can format it for me. Should I have them format it for me in the NFTS that Innuos recommended?

Use Fat32.  The macOS can't write to NTFS. Please note that the format in the image you shared shows that this is already FAT32.

15 minutes ago, Vangelis said:

Hi Kenny, check out photograph above and under the format it shows at MS-DOS (Fat32) so the mystery continues. I’ve ordered a large US thumb drive to try and transfer a few small files at a time and see what happens. Also also ordered brand new 2TB external drive to  transfer my files hopefully without also moving the old issue to the new drive , then I can try to import the files on to the Zenith. Innuos support recommends formatting the drives to NTFS.  Meanwhile, I’ve been working on my network and making improvements. I’ve been learning a lot while I’m waiting to solve the import issue.

Sorry I didn’t look closely enough at the screenshot.  Why not transfer your music over the network?  It’s really easy to do that.  You should see your Zenith from Finder on your Mac by selecting Network from the Go menu.  

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Tait said:

You guys aren't making it any easier to turn down 😅

I swapped my Zenith Mk2 Std for a Mk3.  This was a very significant upgrade with across the board improvements.  The SE is said to be even better than the Mk3.  I don’t think you’d regret the purchase for a second.