IGNORED

Innuos Zenith SE MkII

Hello, I am not able to backup Roon on my Zenith mkIII. Could you please help?

I have an external hard drive connected via USB to the Innuos and I have already back up all the music there. However I think I should also back up Roon to save all my metadata.

I tried Roon Settings - Backups - Backup now but cannot select my external hard disk which is connected to my Innuos.

Is there anything I should activate in MyInnuos beforehand?

thanks for your suggestions

6 minutes ago, thyname said:

‘On Roon Backups, is that Backup link to your external drive already established, and simply fails? If so, start a backup sequence on Innuos site / settings first, then while it started to run, quickly go to Roon and start the database backup there

Hi Thyname, thanks for your reply. 

Until recently I didn't have the Innuos, my Mac was the Roon core and I was backing up Roon on a separate hard drive.

Now Innuos is the Roon core, I backup the music files on a hard disk connected to the Innuos. 

Just to be sure, could you please confirm that this is a different thing than backing up Roon metadata? 

Since I changed Roon core, Roon doesn't have any link to a backup folder and doesn't seem to see the hard drive I connected to the Innuos...

1 hour ago, thyname said:

Yes, backing up Roon database and Roon metadata is the same thing. We are talking about the same thing.

You will need to create a backup link on Roon settings / backups.

What I am saying is to start the backup (of music) on my.innuos.com first, for that particular external  hard drive you said already set up and done already, then while that starts, immediately go to Roon settings / backup, create one. While the backup is running on my Innuos web interface, Roon should be able to “see” your external hard drive

Hello, it worked thank you. When I started the backup on MyInnuos Roon identified the Hard disk and I started a Roon backup. However, Innuos quickly confirmed that 100% of my music is backed up and finished the process, soon afterwards Roon interrupted the backup saying that the backup directory is no longer available.

So I established a backup path in Roon but cannot backup since it is not active. I am not clear how to proceed in the future...

Let's say that I add some albums as favorite in Roon (in Qobuz), I add some tags and I upload some music files to the Innuos.. How to I backup everything, simply via MyInnuos Backup? If so why establishing a backup path in Roon? 

21 hours ago, thyname said:

You are on the right track. Now that the link is established on Roon Backups, repeat the procedure again. Start the music back up on my.innuos.com, so that the link with the external hard drive is established, and while that is working, go immediately in Roon Settings/ Backup and initiate the back up again. 

In other words, while the communication link is established in Innuos website, it works on Roon backups as well.

I don't know why this is the case, but that's how it works. Not sure why. But it works all the time for me.

Another consideration:

Try to do Roon back ups in other places. I personally do two additional Roon database backups on my two NASs, and one on my Dropbox. In addition to the external hard drive connected to my Innuos

Hello, thanks for suggesting Dropbox, it took me 24 hours but I managed to backup Roon that way. The other option, using the external hard disk doesn't work for me. Also, I contacted Nuno from Innuos who advised against trying that. I followed his instructions and could backup Roon via AutoImport in 20 minutes. I copy below his message for interested users.

thanks again for your patiance and support

"With the ZENith we currently do not support mounting USB drives for backing up Roon. We also don't recommend using the ZENith USB backup drive to place any other data - the backup works with synchronization and this would copy back the files into the ZENith.
At this stage, you will need to backup the Roon database into a network folder. You can use one of the shared folders on the ZENith itself, like Auto-Import, and then copy the backup to a location of your choice using a computer. This is something we are looking to improve in the future."

I cannot do that right to give you the exact steps now but it should work like this:

I activate Import from "Auto-import" on MyInnuos. In Roon I added the auto-import folder as a backup folder, you may need to add the IP address of your Zenith. Once done the backup I copied the Roon Backup folder (located somewhere on a network folder) to my Mac.

please let me know if it works