IGNORED

Innuos Zenith SE MkII

I am contemplating getting a Zen MK3 when it comes out to use it as a Roon Core.

My DAC is also a Roon Ready streamer (built in), Ayre QX-5. Currently connected directly to Router via Cat8, with Fiber Optics isolators in between. 

How would I connect the Zen to my DAC? Simply via Ethernet and still use the Bridge built in my Ayre?

34 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Hi @thyname,

Not sure I completely follow the question but the Zeniths have LAN in and out, and USB out.

So you'd have the choice between LAN direct to your Ayre DAC or LAN to router (assuming your Router acts as a switch) and onward to the Ayre.

LAN out from the Zen is better on paper versus a potentially noisy Router.

Please elaborate if I've misjudged your question.

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks Alan,

It does not make sense for me to use the Innuous Zen as a Roon Endpoint, and stream via it and USB to my Ayre. Ayre has a network bridge built in. And I try to avoid USB audio when I can.

Basically for me the Zen would be a server (Roon Core), and the only other use is to "clean" the Ethernet signal going to my Ayre, by going first from router to Zen, then from Zen Ethernet out to Ayre. Basically Zen acting as an Ethernet Bridge / or switch. Right?

In which case, does it really matter, since I am already using a pair of fiber optics isolators in my ethernet chain (powered by linear PS)?

1 minute ago, BigAlMc said:

Yeah I'm not really sure it'll make too much of a difference.

What do you currently use for Roon Core?

A 7th Generation i7 NUC (BNH type). With Roon Optimized Core Kit (ROCK).

As a server, I am not sure it will make any difference either. I agree with you. At least in theory, buy I don't know what I don't have ?

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I echo the suggestion to try cables before you buy. For myself, I did find the SE to benefit greatly from a better power cable. I posted about it a few months ago here.

Additionally, the SE seems to benefit from a better fuse. I got a nice bump going from the stock fuse to a SR Blue fuse. 

If cable and fuse upgrades are not your cup of tea, please ignore.

Thanks for chiming in!

Funny you mentioned the Cardas Clear power cord on that link. I have a Clear Beyond for my power amp, another Clear Beyond for my power conditioner, and a Clear for my Preamp. The DAC has a Wireworld Platinum Electra 7.

I was hoping I did not have to buy another Clear for my Innuos. I guess it is now inevitable ....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FrankMA said:

Now that we have all had the new experimental Roon/LMS feature for awhile, I am curious as to what everyone is using for playback?

1. 100% via Roon/LMS feature
  2. 100% LMS
  3. Back & Forth

I still feel the sound on the LMS player alone is slightly better although the gap has closed significantly. It is tough giving up Roon so I have mostly been using the new feature

I gave up using LMS with my ZENith MK3 completely. Using “regular “ Roon all the time now. Too much stuttering and interruptions with LMS and Roon. Life is too short to get frustrated with such things

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, FrankMA said:

Hello - looking for advice from the Innuos owners here.  I am currently running this USB chain: Innuos MKII 4TB>SOtM tX-USBultra>PS Audio DS Sr.  If I was looking to upgrade down the line would I be better off:

1) Adding the Innuos USB Reclocker (assuming this replaces the SOtM)

2) Selling the MKII and purchasing a MKIII

3) Other

Thank you

My recommendation:

1 - Sell MKII and get MKIII, then

2 - Get the USB reclocker when it launches 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, BPED said:

Hello, I am not able to backup Roon on my Zenith mkIII. Could you please help?

I have an external hard drive connected via USB to the Innuos and I have already back up all the music there. However I think I should also back up Roon to save all my metadata.

I tried Roon Settings - Backups - Backup now but cannot select my external hard disk which is connected to my Innuos.

Is there anything I should activate in MyInnuos beforehand?

thanks for your suggestions

‘On Roon Backups, is that Backup link to your external drive already established, and simply fails? If so, start a backup sequence on Innuos site / settings first, then while it started to run, quickly go to Roon and start the database backup there

Yes, backing up Roon database and Roon metadata is the same thing. We are talking about the same thing.

You will need to create a backup link on Roon settings / backups.

What I am saying is to start the backup (of music) on my.innuos.com first, for that particular external  hard drive you said already set up and done already, then while that starts, immediately go to Roon settings / backup, create one. While the backup is running on my Innuos web interface, Roon should be able to “see” your external hard drive

17 minutes ago, BPED said:

Hello, it worked thank you. When I started the backup on MyInnuos Roon identified the Hard disk and I started a Roon backup. However, Innuos quickly confirmed that 100% of my music is backed up and finished the process, soon afterwards Roon interrupted the backup saying that the backup directory is no longer available.

So I established a backup path in Roon but cannot backup since it is not active. I am not clear how to proceed in the future...

Let's say that I add some albums as favorite in Roon (in Qobuz), I add some tags and I upload some music files to the Innuos.. How to I backup everything, simply via MyInnuos Backup? If so why establishing a backup path in Roon? 

You are on the right track. Now that the link is established on Roon Backups, repeat the procedure again. Start the music back up on my.innuos.com, so that the link with the external hard drive is established, and while that is working, go immediately in Roon Settings/ Backup and initiate the back up again. 

In other words, while the communication link is established in Innuos website, it works on Roon backups as well.

I don't know why this is the case, but that's how it works. Not sure why. But it works all the time for me.

Another consideration:

Try to do Roon back ups in other places. I personally do two additional Roon database backups on my two NASs, and one on my Dropbox. In addition to the external hard drive connected to my Innuos

On 3/17/2020 at 5:59 AM, BPED said:

I followed his instructions and could backup Roon via AutoImport in 20 minutes.

‘Can you please share how exactly to do that?

Are you saying you can backup Roon database to the Zenith’s internal SSD?

Thanks 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Johnny Moondog said:

Continuing my exploration of this issue with the Hostname and Synology NAS.

With InnuOS version 1.4.3

There are two locations where the user can input the NAS shared folder path by entering the server name or its IP address:

1) Configuring Your Server > Music Library Configuration

2) Configuring Your Server > Integrating Music From a NAS Shared Folder

But the Configure Backup process states:

"Enter the Server Name of your NAS into the hostname field. The name must be identical to how it appears on your network.”

I have inquired with Innuos Support if they could modify the Configure Backup process, so that it would also work by entering the server name or its IP address. And if they could add that change to InnuOS version 1.4.4.

This might provide a solution to the Hostname issue.

I have not received a reply from Support regarding my inquiries. But given the COVID19 situation, patience is key.

‘It’s been a while since I did this with my Innuos and NAS, but I think the key is to create an empty sub folder in your NAS, then back up to that folder, using the NAS’s IP address