IGNORED

Innuos Zenith SE MkII

It's time for a dedicated thread for this product ... rather than adding yet another topic to the 'novel way' thread.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

3 hours ago, PhilR said:

I have contacted Innuos with many questions regarding the unit and their customer service has been amazing.

It would be great if you could post your Q&A with Innuos.  I'm sure many others will have the same questions.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

Thanks, @PhilR.  Good to know Innuos has been responsive.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

I stand ready to be corrected or pelted with rotten fruit

FLAC vs WAV is an long standing argument but it doesn't belong here.  I know you weren't looking to start one.

17 minutes ago, klaus said:

I am surprised that nobody has reported from a direct Ethernet connection from a Zenith to an SMS-200ultra or similar device. From my understanding Have I to conclude that the Zenith SP alone is the better solution?

I expect to hear some feedback about this from @austinpop in about a week.  

7 minutes ago, limniscate said:

@austinpop and I haven't been able to get that configuration to work yet.

What problems have you encountered?  And what modes have you tried (Roon, DLNA/MPD, LMS).

• 2 weeks later...

You can get a 4TB Zenith SE called an XL.  It's a lot more expensive.   

I am running 1.3.2 and I'm not having any problem with iPeng9 and my library, but it's a lot smaller than yours. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

The android control app is a stone cold turkey!

What app are you talking about?

Just now, ismewor said:

Ipeng9

I'm using ipeng9 on an iPad Pro and I like it more than Lumin or BubbleUPnP.  I don't think it runs on Android.  Hoping that @BigAlMc clarifies which Android app he feels is no good.  

1 minute ago, BigAlMc said:

I'm currently trialling the TX-USBultra because I've read a few people including Romaz and users on Head-fi.org saying it lifts the USB output of the SE to new levels. 

I'm glad you're trying it because I also have an SE and was considering doing the same thing.  I have tried the SE with an ISO REGEN powered by an LPS-1 and my initial impression is that it sounds considerably better with the ISO REGEN.

1 minute ago, KingRex said:

How do you control the zenith.

It's really just LMS or Roon.  So using the internal player on the SE I am using iPeng9 on a 10.5" iPad Pro to control the play queue, whether the tracks are on the SE SSD or streaming from Qobuz.  There is a web interface (my.innuos.com) to manage a few configuration options.  I don't use Roon so I'll leave that to one of the other SE owners to answer.

3 hours ago, KingRex said:

Mojo Audio Deja Vu

Looks very nice, but the upgrades are incredibly overpriced.  This is probably true on all audiophile servers. 

Examples:   

JCAT USB Card FEMTO/JCAT NET Card FEMTO are $750 each ($509 from highend-audiopc.com)

1TB Samsung 850 Pro is $850 (retail is about $425)

2TB Samsung 850 Pro is $1350 (retail is under $900)

21 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

Saw a 4tb new samsung 850 pro sell for £623 on ebay a couple of weeks ago.

That is most likely a fraudulent listing.  Retail from reputable stores is currently about $1350.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Patatorz said:

In my case no chance to make the innuos work with the mutec

What's the nature of the incompatibility?

29 minutes ago, Patatorz said:

I don’t think it is the 5V as stated before as with a ifi purifier 2 that is not doing anything on the 5V it could solve the issue. So not a question of power.

A good question is what does the iPurifier 2 do that resolves the problem?  It's likely that an ISO REGEN or tx-USBultra would also resolve the problem.  So what's wrong with the Zenith SE USB?

5 minutes ago, jenjoh said:

anybody that have solved a innous-dac problem with either of these?

@austinpop resolved a problem between the Zenith SE and his Ayre Codex by using a tX-USBultra in between, but he wants that tX-USBultra for the SQ benefits.  He isn't using it just to resolve the incompatibility.

There are a very limited number of known incompatibilities.  I have no problem using the SE with my Berkeley Alpha USB.  

2 hours ago, jenjoh said:

Audionet do not have a Linux driver

Generally, USB driver support is provided natively on Linux.  Have you contacted Innuos support about your issue?  I'd certainly do that before getting any add-on device.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, FredM said:

OK now it's a 'statement'.  It's clearly going to cost way more than the SE.  Exciting nonetheless.

20 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Yeah the issue is PSUs. Factor in 8 rails of SR-7 quality, and that’s probably $8k right there.

Maybe not.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=792338

1 hour ago, Solstice380 said:

I was just with the Innuos people at AXPONA for a demo of the SE vs the Statement.  I got to hear it with nobody else in the room.  No contest that the Statement wipes the floor with the SE.  As it should for double the price.   They didn’t give exact pricing yet but expect it to be US$14K or more.  

Did you get any details about the Innuos USB card or custom motherboard?  Did Innuos indicate when the Statement will be available?

• 1 month later...

When a performer gets the interpretation of a piece of music just right, you know it.  It makes you think ... this is what the composer intended when he wrote it.  

You need great technical proficiency to pull this off, but that's not what draws your attention.  There's no 'look what I can do'.  The artist makes it look easy and natural.

I characterize the Zenith SE the same way.  You realize you're listening to music rather than your audio system.  You slip right under the spell because there are none of the usual cues that remind you this is digital.  It's so enjoyable.

This is what I find convincing about the Zenith SE.

10 minutes ago, simorag said:

Now, with the ZENith and DAVE I realize that I should try to remove it and see how I like the result.

Please post your impressions with the ISO REGEN out of the chain.  I do think it improves things with the Zenith SE, but it may be masking some differences between the SE and the Surface Pro 3.  I have several elements in my chain that are the same as yours (SE, ISO REGEN and Lush cable).

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, austinpop said:

Hmm, that is confusing. I use Roon, so have not ever tried the UPnP renderer on the SE.

I don't think the SE provides UPnP renderer functionality, only UPnP server.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, BigAlMc said:

Seems mostly metadata and library tools based.

Yes.   Couldn't care less.