IGNORED

Article: Readers Choice Awards 2017

15 hours ago, Em2016 said:

No worries. Like everything in this hobby we all have differing opinions on what constitutes good value for the money. And that's good. We all vote with our wallets.

Side note, I didn't think it was the best value for the money for a long time. I wasn't getting the sound quality I was getting with Audirvana... that all changed a few weeks ago with v1.4 of Roon.

Anyone that tried Roon long ago should give it another free trial, especially if SQ was an issue previously.... They've optimized their RAAT protocol and gotten a nice SQ improvement to my ears. It wasn't a difference I could hear easily with speakers (room effects probably masked the small differences). But I was able to hear it with my headphones. I can no longer hear any difference with headphones with v1.4.

The media player, via bit perfect stream, should never sound different SQ wise regardless of choice of software.  If it is then you got other server/streaming issues.  So your really paying for features in Roon.  Which is fine, I get it.  For myself, JRiver has all the features I desire and then some over Roon at a far more reasonable cost.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

2 hours ago, firedog said:

It's all a matter of perspective. With JRiver you pay small amounts incrementally to upgrade. Over time that will also add up. 

I really like Roon, paid for the lifetime, and every year it "gets cheaper" and adds more features etc. If it stays around for 10 years it will have cost me $50 a year, which seems reasonable to me. I have weeks where I spend that much on downloads. 

You don't have to upgrade with JRiver or you could even skip a year or two.  If your savy enough, upgrade every two or three years on their new pre version for $16.95.  Let's see, monthly for Roon over 2 years that comes to $240 compared to $16.95.  Yeah, that's a big difference.  

Or worse the Roon lifetime membership for $500.  Would take 29.5 years with JRiver updated every 2 years at $16.95.  

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

3 hours ago, LarryMagoo said:

When you add what you can learn from the Roon community....nothing else compares.....Their staff is incredibly helpful with getting the best from Roon.   Plus they don't rest on their laurels either....always looking to make improvements to their technologies as well as incorporating many suggestions from their customers.

Sounds the same as JRiver to me.  Same, but not hosing you for $$$$.

2 hours ago, Summit said:

Bit perfect is by itself no guarantee for good sound. If you can’t hear any sound different between different software your ear or setup is not very revealing IMO.

If you have poor clocking/power, thus not very revealing, then yes, you can notice slight differences in software.  Superior clocking/power means very revealing.

2 hours ago, One and a half said:

What you need to remember that bit perfect comes with a caveat of signal integrity. The bits get through but what else rides on those bits is what affects what you hear from an electrical perspective.

JRiver has towed that line long enough bit perfect yadayada, their DSP has misgivings that alter what you hear, compared to Roon or HQplayer.

ive listened to JRiver for close to 2 years and recently tried Roon and enjoy what I hear. The option is open to use HQplayer for directly connected DACs that aren’t networkable which the closed mind of JRiver could not accomplish.

I am fully aware that bit perfect is basically no more than saying, no resampling.  What you need to understand is that it's not the media player that is the problem.  It's as you say from an electrical/timing perspective in the stream caused by the hardware, not the software.  The more noisy the system hardware, the more the software tweaking makes a different coloration.