IGNORED

CA Announcement Coming Tuesday January 9, 2018

3 hours ago, mfin said:

I think it is important to have a very clear and instantly easy view of "Private Sellers only" because people tend to use Forums for private sales and buying, mixing them up with Retail Sales is not that appealing to a lot of people. If people think it becomes mostly Retail Sales, you will fail in getting traction right from the off.

I'll avoid the direct comparison by simply referring to the King B. model.  When I went to look up a book online today.  This site offered me the choice to buy it new or used, and listed the number of sellers, from the same page.  It defaulted to the most common choice.  I believe this is the ultimate expression of what the Superphonica's sales platform hopes to accomplish.  

Publicly and privately I've pointed out to Chris the fine line between similarity and familiarity.  What I see as most important right now is building upon the core model that will see the site through the next few iterations beyond what is essentially a public beta.  At some point a unique full site architectural renovation will take prominence.  I've pointed out at least one significant example of identity where further work is needed.  

24 minutes ago, rando said:

When I went to look up a book online today.  This site offered me the choice to buy it new or used, and listed the number of sellers, from the same page.  It defaulted to the most common choice.

Sounds a lot like Amazon.

Chris:

For at least two used items that I put into a cart--and went all the way to entering my address, with the screen ready to hit the payment button--the items in the cart still said "The seller hasn't set a fixed shipping fee."  Which seems to mean that either:

a) The seller would have to contact me for payment of shipping;

or:

b) I would compete the purchase and the shipping charged would simply be a surprise.

Neither scenario will be appealing to buyers.  Please explain.

Thanks,

--Alex

P.S. @mfin has done a great job explaining the sentiments that I and many other average-Joe buyers--coming from say Audiogon--are likely to have.

1 minute ago, Superdad said:

Chris:

For at least two used items that I put into a cart--and went all the way to entering my address, with the screen ready to hit the payment button--the items in the cart still said "The seller hasn't set a fixed shipping fee."  Which seems to mean that either:

or:

b) I would compete the purchase and the shipping charged would simply be a surprise.

Thanks,

--Alex

P.S. @mfin has done a great job explaining the sentiments that I and many other average-Joe buyers--coming from say Audiogon--are likely to have.

I've been working the resolution to that shipping issue this afternoon and I'm about to put it into place this evening.

The issue revolves around components that may have very wide price swings depending on the shipping options, and people not wanting to charge too much or too little. Thus, we let people opt not to put in a shipping charge. It's not how I would sell something, but people want it. 

In a few minutes, there will be messages in the cart and at checkout that explain to the buyer that the seller has either accidentally not entered a shipping cost or purposely not entered a shipping cost because he wants to charge the correct amount. It also explains that the buyer will have to contact the seller to have him enter a shipping cost in the product in order for it to be purchased. 

We are trying to accommodate sellers in this strange HiFi situation. Ii can't think of many other scenarios where people say - contact me and I'll determine shipping and then you can purchase etc...

Again, this isn't how I'd do it. In fact, i'd be turned off buying something if I had to go through this type of thing. I want add to cart and to see a shipping charge. If it seems reasonable I'll buy it. If I was shopping eBay and someone said shipping determined later, I'd move on to the next person selling the item. That's just me. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

5 minutes ago, Superdad said:

or:

I agree. The full cost must be known before committing to anything.

15 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I should also note, there is a view of the products that's ugly but I want to offer it because some people will prefer it. It's called Product List View.

What's ugly is the rendering of the photos. The list seems fine to me. At first I thought it was The Audio Salon's photos but it is in everything. So if you shop at B+H Photo again one of these days, maybe you can do something about that ? :D

You can see it when you click on the photo in the detail page; only then the appropriate rendering is applied (probably no rendering apart from what my browser makes of it).

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

16 hours ago, mansr said:

Sounds a lot like Amazon.

You forgot the ®.  

@mfin Might not have been clear what my intent there was.  You more than took up the torch leading off into the wilderness though.  Without banging on about originality, or lack thereof, it is this very thing that will be needed for success.  You recognize it is the core functionality that needs to be sculpted into rough form at this stage.  This is the type of input it appears they need to hear.  Being based in experience with a fair amount of previous attempts by forums to split off in this direction.  

I'm as wary of giving free advice as receiving it.  With that grain of salt, would it be worthwhile to have @Dave pencil in an hour every week to add some form to these discussions?  Randomly attacking whatever comes to mind doesn't account for where he is currently facing difficulties or would prosper from outside input.  :)

3 minutes ago, rando said:

You forgot the ®.  

@mfin Might not have been clear what my intent there was.  You more than took up the torch leading off into the wilderness though.  Without banging on about originality, or lack thereof, it is this very thing that will be needed for success.  You recognize it is the core functionality that needs to be sculpted into rough form at this stage.  This is the type of input it appears they need to hear.  Being based in experience with a fair amount of previous attempts by forums to split off in this direction.  

I'm as wary of giving free advice as receiving it.  With that grain of salt, would it be worthwhile to have @Dave pencil in an hour every week to add some form to these discussions?  Randomly attacking whatever comes to mind doesn't account for where he is currently facing difficulties or would prosper from outside input.  :)

Hi Guys - Thanks for the continued feedback and advice. It's all helpful. 

We'll be posting regular updates on the Superphonica forum section about what enhancements, changes, updates have been made, and encouraging feedback. I'm working on a little update right now.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/forum/94-superphonica/

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png