IGNORED

CA Announcement Coming Tuesday January 9, 2018

1 minute ago, Dougster said:

Bated breath.....

Sometimes misspelled as 'baited breath'. (What, you have a worm on your tongue?)

Toshiba Satellite P300 laptop--Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit--M2TECH hiFace USB-S/PDIF interface-->coaxial output cable-->

MacBook Pro--Sierra--optical output cable-->

Raspberry Pi 2--Pixel--USB output cable-->

Simaudio MOON 100D DAC (USB, coaxial and optical connections in use)--Yamaha RX-V640 receiver

--Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 (with NOS Raytheon 5670)--used as bypassable vacuum tube preamp stage--Topping TP60 stereo power amplifier--one pi bass reflex speakers--homebuilt--plans from Wayne at pispeakers.com

--QSC model 5.1 stereo power amplifier--ACI Rage 12" subwoofer in homebuilt sealed 2 ft^3 enclosure

--Denon AH-A100 headphones

12 minutes ago, rando said:

Now that you've had enough time to sober up from the gala opening party last night.  How did the launch go yesterday?  

Ha!

With 6 hours sleep in two days, I went to bed as early as I could. The launch went really well. No major problems to report, only minor hiccups / hiccoughs. 

We are receiving inquires from manufacturers and dealers, as well as private sellers to list items for sale. So far so good. I love the fact that I can send work to my brother rather than doing it all myself! Refreshing :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 hours ago, GUTB said:

I noticed the tonearm banner is animated and I'm pretty sure it wasn't at launch.

It stops when you scroll or when it's partly out of the screen's boundaries.

Actually it can be a bit annoying because it stutters a lot (mostly incurred by the scrolling or whatever it is what stops it).

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

29 minutes ago, Superdad said:

And you should not allow listings where the seller has not set shipping costs (here is an example: https://superphonica.com/all-products/components-digital/streamers/lumin-u1-lumin-power-supply/

Hey Alex - it is there in the text (like "buyer pays for shipping"). Personally I think that there should be a formal text field for this. Also, it is quite undoable for larger items to list one price for shipping.

Another remark would be that no-one uses PayPal etc. for the larger amounts. It is too expensive. So now we need wire transfer data.

Otoh, these things normally are dealt with by email exchange. YMMV it maybe it is what one is used to.

XXHighEnd (developer)

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

Hi Chris:

Enjoying getting to know Superphonica.

If you want private party members to embrace buying and selling there, I seriously think you need to add a means to filter/view private seller ads versus the resellers who are setting up shop.

For one, presently the reseller listings swamp the few private listings.  People who want to hunt for nice deals on used stuff have to scroll through pages of list-price reseller listings--even if one narrows to a category such as cables or headphones.

Secondly, when viewing a listing from a private seller, there is not much clue that the goods are offered by a private party. (I tried filtering on Used, but still mostly Ciamara listings came up.)

Also, knowing who is shipping the product--Superphonica or the seller--would be helpful.  And you should not allow listings where the seller has not set shipping costs (here is an example: https://superphonica.com/all-products/components-digital/streamers/lumin-u1-lumin-power-supply/ ; You can go all the way through checkout--to just before the payment button--without getting a shipping rate.)

Frankly, the more I think about it, the more I think that reseller shops and private party listings ought to be in entirely different--but similar looking--sections of Superphonica.  This would also allow you to do various listing and back-end tweaks appropriate to each.

Just my late night $0.02.  :D

Keep up the great work,

--Alex C.

+1

8 hours ago, Superdad said:

If you want private party members to embrace buying and selling there, I seriously think you need to add a means to filter/view private seller ads versus the resellers who are setting up shop.

For one, presently the reseller listings swamp the few private listings.  People who want to hunt for nice deals on used stuff have to scroll through pages of list-price reseller listings--even if one narrows to a category such as cables or headphones.

Hi Alex - Thanks for the feedback. Even though you are the only person ever in the history of CA to request the ability to see advertisements when you are a paid ad-free member, I highly value your input.

The ability to filter private seller vs commercial seller is already built into the platform. It can be done a couple different ways. If someone tags an item Private we can display a little logo in the upper left corner of the image in the search results, and the products can be filtered in the left-hand column. We can also include an attribute option for sellers to select if they are private or a commercial entity. This is really easy. 

More information on this to follow.

Secondly, when viewing a listing from a private seller, there is not much clue that the goods are offered by a private party. (I tried filtering on Used, but still mostly Ciamara listings came up.)

How do you suggest we differentiate this other than how it's already done? Perhaps I'm not following you here.

Also, knowing who is shipping the product--Superphonica or the seller--would be helpful.  And you should not allow listings where the seller has not set shipping costs (here is an example: https://superphonica.com/all-products/components-digital/streamers/lumin-u1-lumin-power-supply/ ; You can go all the way through checkout--to just before the payment button--without getting a shipping rate.)

When Superphonica is handling fulfillment, it will clearly state this is the case. Because fulfillment is vastly different from all other marketplaces, we assume people will default to thinking Superphonica is NOT fulfilling the shipment, unless otherwise stated. 

Frankly, the more I think about it, the more I think that reseller shops and private party listings ought to be in entirely different--but similar looking--sections of Superphonica.  This would also allow you to do various listing and back-end tweaks appropriate to each.

Not following you on this one. Please help me, I'd love to know more and improve what we have.

It's all a work in progress and can be adjusted as needed. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Hey Alex - it is there in the text (like "buyer pays for shipping"). Personally I think that there should be a formal text field for this. Also, it is quite undoable for larger items to list one price for shipping.

Another remark would be that no-one uses PayPal etc. for the larger amounts. It is too expensive. So now we need wire transfer data.

Otoh, these things normally are dealt with by email exchange. YMMV it maybe it is what one is used to.

Hi Peter - Because shipping is so variable and everyone has their own limits as to where and how they will ship, we leave it open for the seller to have some freedom. 

you can say in the description: Please contact for a shipping quote or shipping determined once product is actually shipped etc... For products like a small widget that someone specified will only ship within his own country, then shipping is simple to set a flat rate.

We leave it open for people to also specify in the description that they will only ship to certain countries or only ship next day air etc...

You can also specify that you won't accept PayPal. You can't disable PayPal, but if you say in the description that you will refund all Payments received by PayPal, it makes no sense for someone to use PayPal. Sure they may not read the description, but that's on them.

15 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Because shipping is so variable and everyone has their own limits as to where and how they will ship, we leave it open for the seller to have some freedom.

Exactly right.

And maybe my intentions did not come across very well ? With "formal field" I meant the formal option to put in the text instead of the price for shipping. I know, text is not much formal, but the option to use it "instead", is.

Thanks.

XXHighEnd (developer)

A couple of thoughts.

I'd make sure that the experience is right for people wanting to buy from private sellers. This is the one thing that matters to drive traffic.

Of course, it's actually about revenue and monetization really. HifiWigwam did similar and used to have a lot of traffic on their classified forum, then replaced it with a store for sellers both private and trade. Whether it is finanically successful for them I do not know, but many people who listed their private sales on that forum now do it elsewhere. They misjudged and completely got wrong the experience for the private sellers.

Last thing. It's a shame it doesn't look regional. Any chance of things like a UK section with £GBP prices? Euro-wide section with Euro prices. Does the platform you are using have potential for that?

1 hour ago, mfin said:

make sure that the experience is right for people wanting to buy from private sellers.

Hi mfin - Thanks for taking time to give us feedback. We gave people the ability to filter by private sellers only. This should make the experience just right for them. 

Its currently dependent on tagging a product  as Private Seller. Then buyers can view only private sales if desired. 

Perhaps a private seller only area is desired?

1 hour ago, mfin said:

Any chance of things like a UK section with £GBP prices? Euro-wide section with Euro prices. Does the platform you are using have potential for that?

Looking into this now. 

14 minutes ago, mfin said:

I think it is important to have a very clear and instantly easy view of "Private Sellers only" because people tend to use Forums for private sales and buying, mixing them up with Retail Sales is not that appealing to a lot of people. If people think it becomes mostly Retail Sales, you will fail in getting traction right from the off.

Of course, it is simple to understand how and why Retail Sales are important to you too.

Forums are where people go looking for used equipment, it is the natural habitat as forums are populated by these communities. Pushing a retail agenda alongside it can mess it up. Look at WigWam, to most people the store is completely polluted by retailers, so it's hardly worth looking or searching through if you want to ignore retail sales.

Hi mfin - Perhaps you can help me a bit on this one. 

When I'm looking to buy something, I search for what I want or I filter based on my own criteria. If I want something used only or new only, I am happy to select such criteria if the store or marketplace allows such filtering.

If we enable users to filter by their own criteria such as used, new, private seller etc... why would they feel that the marketplace was polluted? Honestly, I want to understand so we can best serve people.

When I'm looking for a DAC I don't feel like a store is polluted if they also sell amplifiers.

From a consumer / buyer perspective we want to offer people the most options. Searching for a DAC to purchase, it's nice to see the new options and right next to it, the used options. The choice is right there in front of people, rather than searching several different places. 

The only agenda we are pushing is choice for the consumer and a central location for all audio gear. 

I shop at B&H Photo quite a bit. I really dislike the requirement to browse the used section in a completely different area of the site. I'd love all the products co-mingled, with the ability to filter out results. 

We are certainly not right, as there is no right or wrong here. We appreciate the help you're providing in making Superphonica the best it can be. Also, feel free to PM me if you'd like. 

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I should also note, there is a view of the products that's ugly but I want to offer it because some people will prefer it. It's called Product List View. There are some filters and we can customize this a bit more as well.

https://superphonica.com/list/

That's much better than the default view, not ugly at all. Now if it had filters that allowed multiple choice or ranges as appropriate for each of the displayed columns, it would be even better. Electronic part distributors like Mouser have, in my opinion, the most usable web shops. The way I see it, quickly finding what you're looking for is more important than pretty pictures.

4 minutes ago, mfin said:

Let's say someone searches for something and their first experience is that 90% of the results simply look (in the split second of the moment) like retailers selling stuff. Well, the impression is made that it is not a community based forum of buyers and sellers. Plus, the odds are already stacked against it because it looks more like a store than a forum with regular threads that just so happen to be selling something. See what I mean, the impression is made.

That is an exact description of my initial impression.  My immediate reaction was ... I sure hope CA keeps the Buy & Sell forum.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's