I've been streaming audio for about four years now.  Until recently I was using a variation on a C.A.S.H. server running Windows 7 and various versions of JRiver.  That computer died and was replaced with an Intel NUC i3. running Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit.

I'm looking for advice on using the various OS modifying software.  What works best?  In the two computer mode do both computers have to be dedicated to the audio system or can the control computer be any other machine on the network?  Does OA improve the sound even after JPLAY is installed?  Are there other software packages to consider.

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on this for me.

Beowulf

I'm a big fan of audiophile optimizer - I run it on my NUC that serves as a Roon endpoint. AO will only provide additional benefit.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Hi Beowulf,

Best, cheapest (free), in my opinion is to do your own optimization of the OS.  

Here is a good thread on it, 

If your interested in solving the problem and bettering SQ overall, dramatically, then you need to address the mobo deficiencies.  Power and clocks.  Highly recommend modification of the mobo to a sCLK-EX server.   More on that in this thread.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

On 1/1/2018 at 2:23 PM, davide256 said:

Why waste time? Check to see if your Nuc is one of those that can run Roon core. If it can't Fidelizer works very well for Windows 7/8/10 and doesn't require any complexity of understanding or cause backout headaches. AO is for those who like the mantra "thank you sir and may I have another"

i'm afraid the last sentence just is not true -- i run AO on a win10 device and it's a piece of cake to set up. actually, i use both AO and fidelizer pro.

since the op already has jriver, a win10 machine running AO with jriver will give him excellent sound.

i do agree that running roon rock on a nuc is certainly a nice solution (i'm currently doing that, too).

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100