IGNORED

My new Yiggy is on the way

I'm very excited about my new Yiggy. I understand there is a significant break in period.

My question:  I mainly bought the Yiggy for playing flac files from my Mac Mini. However I also plan on utilizing the optical in from my TV.

Does it matter which digital input on the Yiggy is being used to achieve proper break in?

Thanks in advance.

Also...If any Yiggy owners want to chime in with their experience with their Yiggy...please feel free.

Just wanted to wish you congrats on the Yiggy.  Superb DAC. Don't listen to the naysayers, just remember the words of Robert Harley in the Absolute Sound. There may not ever have been a more difficult critic to please and his praise was remarkable.

Others will answer your questions.

JC

12 hours ago, krelldog said:

I'm very excited about my new Yiggy. I understand there is a significant break in period.

My question:  I mainly bought the Yiggy for playing flac files from my Mac Mini. However I also plan on utilizing the optical in from my TV.

Does it matter which digital input on the Yiggy is being used to achieve proper break in?

Thanks in advance.

Also...If any Yiggy owners want to chime in with their experience with their Yiggy...please feel free.

I think that there's a dedicated thread to the Yiggy DAC. Perhaps you can find your answers there...

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

Great DAC. I have two: one for my speaker system and one for my headphone system. For the price it would be hard to do better.

The break-in period has been a bit exaggerated. It will be enjoyable within an hour once it simply warms up. It will sound better and better for the next couple hundred of hours. Just enjoy it. I doubt that the input will make much of a difference in break-in except for possibly the USB input which is by design a little more complex.

Over on Head-Fi you will literally find thousands of posts about it which you can use to drive yourself crazy while it breaks in or else you can just put on some music and marvel :-)

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

• 3 weeks later...
On 2018-01-01 at 6:17 AM, mourip said:

The break-in period has been a bit exaggerated. It will be enjoyable within an hour once it simply warms up. It will sound better and better for the next couple hundred of hours.

I picked up the Analog 2 to finally hear what all the fuss was about.

Imo, it was brutal the first evening, brash and rather shouty for the lack of a better words.  I’ve left Roon Radio feeding it since, much better after 48 hours already.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

14 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

Imo, it was brutal the first evening, brash and rather shouty for the lack of a better words.  I’ve left Roon Radio feeding it since, much better after 48 hours already.

Sounds about right. My guess is that the analog boards would require and benefit from break in the most. I would just leave music playing 7x24 for a couple of weeks and check in on it periodically. Mine kept sounding better over many weeks.

I am in the queue for the new boards. Hope springs eternal!

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

On 22 January 2018 at 1:52 AM, Dr Tone said:

I'd be interested to read your impression vs. Mirus.

1 hour ago, Norton said:

I'd be interested to read your impression vs. Mirus.

I have some initial impressions:

1) Bass on the Yggy is easily better, not really deeper but more definition and texture.

2) Yggy is more forward with a stronger attack/transient in comparison to the Mirus.  Mirus is warmer, smoother and laid back in comparison with a romantic like presentation.

3) Mirus has a blacker background, instruments seem to appear out of no where.  Yggy is a little busy in comparison.

4) Yggy's representation of voices and instruments seems more accurate and natural to me.

5) Mirus's soundstage is wider, Yggy a little collapsed in comparison.

6) Mirus can have a bit of treble glare at times in comparison to the Yggy.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

The Yggy has a linear phase brick wall filter.  If your last DAC had something else, it should sound different.  This is not to take away from the Yggy which is a favorite of many professional reviewers.  Designers choose a filter which works best with the entire DAC, except for those which give a selection for user fine tuning.

5 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

I have some initial impressions:

1) Bass on the Yggy is easily better, not really deeper but more definition and texture.

2) Yggy is more forward with a stronger attack/transient in comparison to the Mirus.  Mirus is warmer, smoother and laid back in comparison with a romantic like presentation.

3) Mirus has a blacker background, instruments seem to appear out of no where.  Yggy is a little busy in comparison.

4) Yggy's representation of voices and instruments seems more accurate and natural to me.

5) Mirus's soundstage is wider, Yggy a little collapsed in comparison.

6) Mirus can have a bit of treble glare at times in comparison to the Yggy.

Thanks.  Surprised, but I'm reading that as 4 -2 in favour of Yggy.  #2 is a win for Yggy  in my book and # 1  In particular I  would attach quite a bit of significance to.  Hmm...quite difficult to demo Yggy in UK I think...

1 hour ago, Norton said:

Thanks.  Surprised, but I'm reading that as 4 -2 in favour of Yggy.  #2 is a win for Yggy  in my book and # 1  In particular I  would attach quite a bit of significance to.  Hmm...quite difficult to demo Yggy in UK I think...

3-2.  With #2 being personal preference.

6 is pretty minor if an issue at all.

53 minutes ago, Norton said:

Yeah I'm told it sucks so bad, you don't even need to have heard one to post a definitive opinion on the web.  You just like, know.

This costs $6k:

3215mirus5.jpg

Total ripoff. Wouldn't give this company a penny.

28 minutes ago, GUTB said:

This costs $6k:

3215mirus5.jpg

Total ripoff. Wouldn't give this company a penny.

Gear that costs less than yours is "consumer grade" crap and you just can't understand how anyone could think it sounds good; and gear that costs more than yours is "savagely overpriced" and a "total ripoff." 

9_9

26 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

Gear that costs less than yours is "consumer grade" crap and you just can't understand how anyone could think it sounds good; and gear that costs more than yours is "savagely overpriced" and a "total ripoff." 

9_9

It’s a Sabre DAC with a single un-shielded toriod. There appears nothing special about it, yet it costs $6k. Meanwhile you can get an LKS that is dual differential balanced 9038s, two transformers and is ultra low noise regulated throughout and 100% discrete output circuit...for less than $1,500.

On 1/1/2018 at 7:28 AM, TubeLover said:

There may not ever have been a more difficult critic to please

You must read a different Robert Harley to the one I read.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

5 minutes ago, GUTB said:

It’s a Sabre DAC with a single un-shielded toriod. There appears nothing special about it, yet it costs $6k. Meanwhile you can get an LKS that is dual differential balanced 9038s, two transformers and is ultra low noise regulated throughout and 100% discrete output circuit...for less than $1,500.

A couple of questions - have you ever seen a DAC with any number of shielded toroids in it? And why would you apparently be saying two toroids is better than a single one?

6 hours ago, GUTB said:

There appears nothing special about it,

I can read reviews too...

"At $6,000 the Invicta Mirus Pro is pretty darn tame considering how wild this category can get. Yet I can unequivocally name it the best digital source I’ve heard at any price"

"When it comes to ultimate fidelity for personal listening, the Resonessence Labs Invicta Mirus Pro is my first choice."

"After spending some time with the Resonessence Invicta, I’ve come to a few conclusions. First is that it is the absolute best DAC I have ever heard, and the price is very reasonable considering its status as a state of the art device"