IGNORED

Shutting down PC running WS 2012 r2

John G

I recall that traditionally we were told to always do an orderly shutdown of a computer from the OS, rather than just "pulling the plug" or holding down the power button. For logistics reasons, it's easier for me to shut down the PC I use to play digital music at the power conditioner than at the PC itself. On a machine running WS 2012 r2, AO in Core Mode, and Roon Bridge, is there any reason to adhere to the old school admonition? I've tried it both ways and don't see any ill effects.

I have a Logitec DiNovo mini BT mouse/keyboard, and I just to a sleep shortcut to power it off remotely...safer than just pulling the plug and not at all an inconvenience.

Pulling the plug, I assume you'll lose whatever is in the RAM and corrupt whatever your disk was writing at the time. 

However, setting your BIOS option to power up your PC on power restoration, makes it pretty convenient to turn everything back on again from your PSU conditioner! 

• 2 months later...

If anybody's still interested in the post, I started shutting down the PC at the power conditioner as described above maybe 5 months ago.  My thinking was that, since the computer had a solid state drive there was no risk of write errors.

The other day I started getting random, brief interruptions in streamed music (from Tidal via Roon) and even from music on my own NAS. Rebooted the PC and the problem went away.

So the lesson I take away is:  yes, it is better to shut down the PC "correctly" than to just pull the plug.