IGNORED

Respectable Integrateds

33 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Hi Beer,

I have been buying Marantz amplifiers for over 40 years and over that time they have remained one of the best manufacturers for value. How do you like the sound of your new PM 7005? 

I know it is no longer relevant to your OP, as you have already purchased, but I think your thread topic was a good choice and generated some interesting alternatives for me to consider going forward. FWIW I've had a lot of enjoyment from the following "integrated" configurations:

Devialet 220 + OTHM G1 speakers

... picked up this complete "all French" system as a demo at the Melbourne Audio show in 2016 for US$8K. I believe you can purchase a used Devialet 220 today for around US$4k. It exhibits ground breaking technology with USB, Coaxial, Optical, Ethernet, Wireless inputs (that can be easily re-configured) together with upgradable firmware, an internal DAC as well as plenty of power and excellent sound. I have since purchased a pair of SVS SB2000 subs, which I connect via the internal active crossover at 65hz. Very compact and elegant unit with huge WAF acceptance. I concur with the previous posters that it just makes good sense to keep everything digital as long as possible.

Benchmark PRE/DAC1 HDR + ADAM A7 Active monitors

... this is my desktop system and is now over 7 years old and hasn't missed a beat (apologies for the woeful pun) ... wonderful sound for US$3k new or under US$2k today. This is simplicity personified and is the antithesis of a "bling" system ... looks ordinary but the sound is exceptional with USB, Coaxial, Optical and Analogue inputs and balanced and RCA out. I'm a great fan of active speakers and can't understand why there isn't greater acceptance.

Marantz PM 6005 + Wharfdale 220 speakers

---- purchased this system for my beach house I own with my brother in law as it has A+B speakers outputs for a second pair on the balcony. Actually puts out 50W into 8ohms (measured by Aus HiFi ... not 40W as advertised) and has a surprisingly good DAC, which I prefer to the DAC inside the Auralic Mini (with standard power supply) to give you a guide to its quality. Insane value at around US$350 for the Amp and another $350 for the speakers. I have since added a pair of second hand subs I picked up at a pawn shop for a total system cost of just over US1100. 

I use a variety of sources including my laptop and an Auralic Mini, which I think is great value and a very much underrated device. The Mini can stream Tidal (and soon Spotify Connect) as well as connect your smartphone using Bluetooth and Airplay ... it can also play PCM 24/192 AND DSD 256 files from local storage. The Mini is controlled from your iPhone via a free app called Lighting DS. I use the mini with an SB Booster power supply when feeding the DAC of the Devialet using its optical out and it sounds very good to my ears. With this same power supply and utilising its internal DAC it could very well be considered a stand alone "integrated" preamp in its own right  - just add a power amp or active speakers.

Never has audio been so good, so versatile, so easy to use and so inexpensive. You just have to know what to buy and how to set it up, which is where CA comes in as most of my knowledge has come from the contributors to this site, so thanks fellas!

All the best,

Ajax

THANKS!

I have heard good things about devialet.  But when i spend that kind of money, i will likely buy what i have already learned to love (mcintosh).  I do plan on buying a new model (mine is now over 15 years old), with a new dac module once the DA2 comes out.  I have a buyer for my current mcintosh amp, and need something to hold me over. 

The BENCHMARK DAC's have always been on my shortlist.  I am content with my ND8006 and NT503 dacs for now, but also consider the great value of the auralic altair...just wish it wasn't so "apple centric".  I am hoping for more streamer/dacs like the value of the altair (streamer/dac/DSD/LPS/ultra low clocks under $2K)..right now, i think it is the best bang for the buck on paper, and hope to see more of this type product available in near future.

Read my other response above about my purchase (e.g. non-purchase) of the PM7005....anyway, still in market for amp for now.

I guess I am the poor cousin here. My system has morphed but I am trying to get the best sound I can for the coin, I spend.

No worries here. One thing I have done is room treatments (all DIY, BTW again couldn't spend much).

I was using the Wazoo but found that the combo of a tube preamp and SS amps, hits the right note for me.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

@BeerAndMusic,

Since you are still on the market for an integrated amp, may I respectfully suggest you to consider Luxman Laboratory Reference Series integrated amplifiers? I believe the sound signature they have is quite similar to the McIntosh sound you prefer. Would the forum participants agree with such qualification?

Have you had a chance to compare your NT503 network player and Cambridge Audio CXN: I am looking for a network player up to 1K mark and these two seems to come quite often? Or should I just stay with my headless Mac mini and call it a day... In case of the mini I will need an outboard DAC, obviously, and am wondering if there are DACs below 3K providing functionality and sound similar to McIntosh DA1 module ...

53 minutes ago, SoundSparks said:

Have you had a chance to compare your NT503 network player and Cambridge Audio CXN: I am looking for a network player up to 1K mark and these two seems to come quite often?

the nt503 is a streamer and dac...here are 2 better options around $1K

used auralic altair is best bang for buck imho...

about $1100

streamer dac

dsd

femto clocks

LPS

used Lumin D1 good reviews if you don't want to touch an apple

also the NT505 is coming out soon which should be on anyone's shortlist.

I haven't really researched network only, but SOTM and sonore are really the only 2 enet->usb devices that are widely reviewed...SOTM is usually considered better and sonore is less money for about the same SQ and functionality.

FOr dac under $3K

chord qutest

mytek liberty

I like my ND8006 that also has ALEXA support and sounds great imho.

Thank you very kindly!

Any recommendations for the Network Music Transport, please? I wish I could afford the LUMIN U1...

Wow! I am thoroughly surprised you did not mention Schiit's Yggdrasil DAC in your recommendations on the DACs below 3k... I must confess it was my first choice.... I guess I was wrong, and now need to look at Chord (up to 768kHz/32bit; DSD64 - DSD512) and Mytek (balanced out) DACs instead.

Thank you, @BeerAndMusic!

17 hours ago, SoundSparks said:

Thank you very kindly!

Any recommendations for the Network Music Transport, please? I wish I could afford the LUMIN U1...

Wow! I am thoroughly surprised you did not mention Schiit's Yggdrasil DAC in your recommendations on the DACs below 3k... I must confess it was my first choice.... I guess I was wrong, and now need to look at Chord (up to 768kHz/32bit; DSD64 - DSD512) and Mytek (balanced out) DACs instead.

i personally would never recommend a pcm only dac....but there are many fans.

If i had the money and shopping for dac, i would probably give the qutest a shot....i really want to try the chord flavor...i have already tried schiits (bifrost and gungnir).

when you say "network transport" do you mean a network player without a dac like the ZENITH INNUOS....that one probably has the latest buzz...

38 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

i personally would never recommend a pcm only dac....but there are many fans.

If i had the money and shopping for dac, i would probably give the qutest a shot....i really want to try the chord flavor...i have already tried schiits (bifrost and gungnir).

when you say "network transport" do you mean a network player without a dac like the ZENITH INNUOS....that one probably has the latest buzz...

You should ask Chris if you can change your username to "beerandDSD"

6 minutes ago, patagent said:

You should ask Chris if you can change your username to "beerandDSD"

I have been pro DSD for about 7 years....  I stated back then that it was here to stay when most people felt about dsd like they do about mqa today...that it wouldn't survive.  When i suggested that AVRs would support DSD, everyone laughed...not one person believed me.

DSD is the best format we have today...so if you want the best....

Thank you @BeerAndMusic!

Yes, that's exactly it: Player - DAC = Transport 

ZENITH fits the bill perfectly. Thank you!

28 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

DSD is the best format we have today...so if you want the best....

The Qutest looks very interesting indeed, but why 1x stereo pair of RCA out only? No balanced out. This I cannot understand...

And it is stated Optical input takes up to 192kHz/24bit: I used to believe it is limited to 96kHz...

How is your hunt for the amp going? Would you consider vintage gear at all?

1 minute ago, SoundSparks said:

Thank you @BeerAndMusic!

The Qutest looks very interesting indeed, but why 1x stereo pair of RCA out only? No balanced out. This I cannot understand...

And it is stated Optical input takes up to 192kHz/24bit: I used to believe it is limited to 96kHz...

We have to be careful about amps, integrated or not. The  technology has been 'stable' for a very long time and no genuinely significant improvements have been made.

EG:

Old: The Naim NAC32 and NAP250 of the early 1980s was a superb combination and there were not  really any amps to 'better' it anywhere in the world.  (In the UK the ARC mid-range tube preamp and the Krell KSA50 or KSA100 Class A power amp  was a quite popular alternative for the more adventurous.) The Naim combination   was/is totally reliable. (And if you want, the factory will refurbish it fully.)  Its UK price at the time was about 1800 US dollars equivalent  and it now fetches high prices, but not crazy ones..

New: Few sane people will be disappointed with a mid-range integrated  Onkyo.  400-700 Dollars equivalent in the UK.  I don't know how much they are in the USA..

1 hour ago, SoundSparks said:

Thank you @BeerAndMusic!

i may have a partial trade for some of my older b&w 7nt....i told someone i would give them 200 tradein for a ROTEL RB 985 Mkii....mind you this is just a temp amp...if it doesn't go through, i may get a PM8005 or PM6006

1 hour ago, Spacehound said:

We have to be careful about amps, integrated or not. The  technology has been 'stable' for a very long time and no genuinely significant improvements have been made.

I mainly want to buy a new model mcintosh once the da2 module comes out, so i found a buyer for my MA6500, and need something to hold me over.

1 hour ago, SoundSparks said:

Thank you @BeerAndMusic!

The mytek brooklyn plus is highly regarded dsd dac with balanced...or benchmark DAC3 or T+A or wyred

11 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

I mainly want to buy a new model mcintosh once the da2 module comes out, so i found a buyer for my MA6500, and need something to hold me over.

Do you have any info about when a DA2 module is coming, or are you just planning for some unknown time in the future?

No electron left behind.

16 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

Spend as little as possible then as what you spend means it will take you longer to be able to afford the McIntosh.

Your Wise Mother

11 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

Spend as little as possible then as what you spend means it will take you longer to be able to afford the McIntosh.

Your Wise Mother

Unfortunately the buyer for my current mcintosh backed out (losing their $100 deposit), but at least I am $100 closer to the new mcintosh. 

I wouldn't say spend as little as possible, i would say buy the best deal you can so you can either make money or at least break even when i resell (wink).

Your wiser mother.

On 16/02/2018 at 6:33 AM, SoundSparks said:

Thank you very kindly!

I am extremely happy with the Auralic Mini. I have purchased 2 and use it as a transport only with digital out into a Devialet 220 and also within another system using its internal DAC, which is quite good when powered with a SB Booster power supply. I stream Tidal (and soon Spotify Connect) and have installed a 500G SSD for local files. It plays DSD and you should get one new (with one year tidal subscription) for around $550 and used without Tidal for $400. 

Chris, founder of CA, conducted the following review.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

On 2/16/2018 at 11:00 AM, beerandmusic said:

I am really wondering why you have decided to wait for the DA2 module.  That might be a while considering they just came out with the DA1 less than a year ago.

Are you also selling your car for the new 2025 Corvette?

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

I am really wondering why you have decided to wait for the DA2 module.  That might be a while considering they just came out with the DA1 less than a year ago.

Are you also selling your car for the new 2025 Corvette?

The fact that they introduced a "dac module" demonstrates their intentions of creating a new module, and I have "heard" from authorized dealer that they are working on one with galvanic isolation, newer dac chip, and better clocks.  It might be awhile, but cashflow is something i always "toy" with.  I retired at age 55 (about 5 years ago) and my wife hasnt worked for over 10 years.  We still live in san diego and eat out often....I have plenty of assets,  but i need to milk them.  Next year i will sell one of my houses at which time I will have more liquidity.

I already sold my "toy cars" and just have a functional jeep, but sure, i will sell it if you are interested.  I give up a lot to not have to work.

Besides, I would only sell it if i can get top dollar, and I had a really good offer...but they backed out, so i will have to keep it for now.

P.S.  A little over a year.

There will always be a better widget coming down the line, eventually you have to jump in and make your choice.

When they come out with the new module, I am sure it will be a simple operation to install, till then I get to appreciate the DA1, as well as all the other improvements made in their new products over the old.

No electron left behind.

10 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

There will always be a better widget coming down the line, eventually you have to jump in and make your choice.

I do it all the time...playing with alexa enabled ND8006 now....LOVE IT!

I have no problems with any choices others make as long as their choices don't impact mine.... (wink)

I buy and sell many things (including stereo equipment) to support my own addictions....so most anytime i can make a considerable profit, i will.....this week it's silver.