IGNORED

Respectable Integrateds

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products-cyclops.html

starts new at $1095. upgrades can push it up, but still under $2k. Very good amp.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

5 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

I see there are 2 different models of hk990 do you have a 1989 hk990 vxi or a more recent one?  an avr?

I have the more recent one. I got it in 2014. It is 150 WPC dual-mono design (separate power transformers for each channel), has built in room correction DSP, a built-in dual differential 24/192 DAC (that I don't use because it's a Delta-Sigma design, the sound of which, I don't particularly care for. I only really like R2R DACs). Mine is audio only and is an integrated amp (with lots of features, to be sure), not a receiver. It sounds magnificent (as every review has said, and as every audiophile who has heard mine can attest! It was also a bargain. I have an acquaintance who owns a company that makes very expensive power amps, preamps and integrated amps. When he heard my HK990, he kept asking, in a tone of total disbelief: "How much did you say this amp cost, again?" His integrated (though nice) is only 50 WPC into 8Ω and costs $13K!

Unknown.jpeg

1211hk.inside.jpg

George

i have a 2005 yamaha rx-v2500 with all bells whistles at that time still works great and i play with all sorts DSP selections including THX neo music etc and different halls/theaters etc only thing the GUI no longer works for room calibration and there is no USB port

i'll bet newer Yamaha or Onyko(sic) integrateds are even better and inexpensive also try that 'retro'

Outlaw Audio 2 channel stereo integrated

so which do you like better, the mac7200 or the Primaluna Dialogue Premium

For different things I like them both.  For ultimate sit back and relax and do nothing but listen to beautiful; music, the Primaluna.  In my home office where I don't want a huge stack of boxes but still want great sounding music, I like the MAC7200.

No electron left behind.

so which do you like better, the mac7200 or the Primaluna Dialogue Premium

I'd stay away from Prima Luna, their amps have very high output impedance.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Just now, beerandmusic said:

what does that specifically do in the terms of SQ?

I have heard them at shows and was impressed.

The frequency response will be extremely affected by the speaker load (wobbly line below):

PLPFIG01.jpg

Prima Luna Prologue One, 8 ohm tap, frequency response at 2.83V into (from top to bottom at 2kHz): simulated loudspeaker load, 8 ohms, 4 ohms, 2 ohms (2dB/vertical div., right channel dashed).
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/prima-luna-prologue-one-integrated-amplifier-measurements

Sorry to repost, but the Job INT costs $1,700 and the Nuprime IDA8 costs $1,000. Both admittedly have limitations, but both (personal experience) are pretty darn good, especially for the money. 

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

11 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

So you're going to take their bottom of the line amp, and say don't buy their top end amp...  Not to mention the article is 13 years old...

yeah, makes sense...

This is from 2014:

1116PLPPfig01.jpg

PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium, 8 ohm tap, frequency response at 2.83V into: simulated loudspeaker load (gray), 8 ohms (left channel blue, right red), 4 ohms (left cyan, right magenta), 2 ohms (green) (1dB/vertical div.).
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/primaluna-prologue-premium-power-amplifier-measurements

31 minutes ago, semente said:

This is from 2014:

1116PLPPfig01.jpg

PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium, 8 ohm tap, frequency response at 2.83V into: simulated loudspeaker load (gray), 8 ohms (left channel blue, right red), 4 ohms (left cyan, right magenta), 2 ohms (green) (1dB/vertical div.).
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/primaluna-prologue-premium-power-amplifier-measurements

You do realize that they could simulate any speaker load they wanted to and get any result they wanted to get, right?

No electron left behind.

10 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

You do realize that they could simulate any speaker load they wanted to and get any result they wanted to get, right?

The amplifier should be able to output flat over this or any other load (within reason).

Here's what happens when you measure the output of a Marantz integrated into the same load:

110Marfig02.jpg

Marantz PM5003, Source Direct frequency response at 2.83V into: simulated loudspeaker load (gray), 8 ohms (left channel blue, right red), 4 ohms (left cyan, right magenta), 2 ohms (green). (0.25dB/vertical div.)
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/marantz-pm5003-integrated-amplifier-measurements

2 hours ago, MarkS said:

Sorry to repost, but the Job INT costs $1,700 and the Nuprime IDA8 costs $1,000. Both admittedly have limitations, but both (personal experience) are pretty darn good, especially for the money. 

Yea, i checked every entry...the job website scares me to be honest...i could do a better job in an hour (grin)...ihope they pay more attention to their amps than their website.

I prefer a beefier high current amp....vintage is ok.

The HK990 looks more up my alley.

58 minutes ago, semente said:

The amplifier should be able to output flat over this or any other load (within reason).

Here's what happens when you measure the output of a Marantz integrated into the same load:

110Marfig02.jpg

Marantz PM5003, Source Direct frequency response at 2.83V into: simulated loudspeaker load (gray), 8 ohms (left channel blue, right red), 4 ohms (left cyan, right magenta), 2 ohms (green). (0.25dB/vertical div.)
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/marantz-pm5003-integrated-amplifier-measurements

I have always been a fan of marantz and have been looking at pm7005?

9 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Yea, i checked every entry...the job website scares me to be honest...i could do a better job in an hour (grin)...ihope they pay more attention to their amps than their website.

I prefer a beefier high current amp....vintage is ok.

The HK990 looks more up my alley.

Very responsive, if somewhat brusque folks at Job. The website works fine, and my INT has made glorious music without a single hiccup for 15 months now. No shortage of current; it drives my 89db 4ohm Reynauds to neighbour offending levels and is pretty awesome on heavy metal, weighty brass, tinkling cymbal, and tickled ivory. I’m damn sure the DAC section kicks the HK990’s into last year. Best single piece of equipment I have ever purchased. The Marantz is a fine amplifier/DAC actually, but a little too laid-back for me — I kind of feel that way about most Marantz, TBH.

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)

5 minutes ago, trappy said:

Very responsive, if somewhat brusque folks at Job. The website works fine, and my INT has made glorious music without a single hiccup for 15 months now. No shortage of current; it drives my 89db 4ohm Reynauds to neighbour offending levels and is pretty awesome on heavy metal, weighty brass, tinkling cymbal, and tickled ivory. I’m damn sure the DAC section kicks the HK990’s into last year. Best single piece of equipment I have ever purchased. The Marantz is a fine amplifier/DAC actually, but a little too laid-back for me — I kind of feel that way about most Marantz, TBH.

Yea, i am more of a laid back type...love my mcintosh, but I am planning on buying a new mcintosh once they come out with a new DA module and after my move, so i wanted something to hold me over....i just picked up the marantz pm7005...hifiheaven had one for only 599 with free shipping, so hard to pass on.

3 hours ago, trappy said:

The Job INT also drives the difficult, but great sounding, Boenickie W5se’s well. 

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.