IGNORED

Cultural Death of Hi-Fi

GUTB

5 hours ago, mav52 said:

But, but, but......I am so depressed over this subject.   Music studies are so important, music enhances so many other subjects. Math comes to mind, if we spark one child to delve into harmonic theory...well I don’t have to go on.  How about history?  Music or art could be the key that gets some kid into something much more interesting than vapid popular culture.  There is always hope.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

5 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

My father abandoned my mom when I was 7. She had to work in a factory to support me and my sister. She had an 8th grade education.

So no, many parents can't fill the void. 

Thanks for setting me straight, I generalized too broadly in my comment about parental support - not always an option as your story illustrated.

I'm encouraged that technology has enabled (functionally) unlimited access to music and music information, where anyone with a glimmer of interest in Music and access to the Internet one hour a day could pursue just about any facet of our favorite art form with a very low barrier of entry. A curriculum based on TunedIn  + Pandora + Wikipedia would be intriguing... 

In the way I witnessed it, was, part of it: HiFi had a lot of attention during the 70 and 80'ties as it became in the reach of larger consumer groups (the middle and lower incomes). In the 90/00'ties quality/performance was evolved enough to become trivial for a large group of people interested in SQ. They didn't evolve into audiophiles. The generation living back than than are the grey hears of today. 

Similar happened to photography. 

In the mean time new technologies came into reach of consumers like Personal Computers and Internet. Attention shifted to this. People started to fuss about replacing hardware as more powerful hardware came available (and internet speeds). IMHO that era is now ending too, for common use PC's are more than powerful enough and it becomes again trivial to the consumer. Attention is shifting again.

Same for smartphones/gaming/streaming/etc: The millennials of today will be the 'grey hairs' of tomorrow.

So, yes, HiFi is death, as is photography, as will be smartphones/gaming/streaming/etc to name a few and any other service with fuzz about today (to avoid that this is only a technology thing). 

13 hours ago, NOMBEDES said:

But, but, but......I am so depressed over this subject.   Music studies are so important, music enhances so many other subjects. Math comes to mind, if we spark one child to delve into harmonic theory...well I don’t have to go on.  How about history?  Music or art could be the key that gets some kid into something much more interesting than vapid popular culture.  There is always hope.

The sad thing its not about history its about now and what occurs in the future.

The Truth Is Out There

1 hour ago, hsmeets said:

So, yes, HiFi is death, as is photography, as will be smartphones/gaming/streaming/etc to name a few

In general all hobby's are killed. Unless Gaming is a hobby (but I thought it is an addiction). This is for boys. The girls have Facebook for a hobby (but I thought it is an addiction).

If I write one more sentence about this, I'll feel like an old grumpy ... grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud10.thumb.jpg.646c94187560c1397499d8ec9ed415cd.jpg

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

On 28-12-2017 at 11:39 PM, Norton said:

In my experience young men turn into middle aged men, who in turn then have the disposable income to afford decent  HIFi.  I didn't buy my first serious system until I was pushing 40, so I can't  see the problem.

How can this be related to disposable income, while each two years a new smartphone is needed, of which a nice small stereo could be bought each two years. Oh wait, I pay for those phones, I think. Hmm.

Something is so wrong by now, that it is beyond comprehension.

XXHighEnd (developer)

14 hours ago, tmkirst said:

I'm encouraged that technology has enabled (functionally) unlimited access to music and music information, where anyone with a glimmer of interest in Music and access to the Internet one hour a day could pursue just about any facet of our favorite art form with a very low barrier of entry. A curriculum based on TunedIn  + Pandora + Wikipedia would be intriguing... 

That’s a good idea. Make it broader based in genres and get a average students (non band geeks) into it and get some listening and conversations going. 

David

2 hours ago, mav52 said:

The sad thing its not about history its about now and what occurs in the future.

No, you are wrong,    .....the sad thing about history is how it occurs in the future....and occurs and occurs....

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

4 hours ago, NOMBEDES said:

No, you are wrong,    .....the sad thing about history is how it occurs in the future....and occurs and occurs....

Of course history will occur in the future after it actually happens then its called history, but its got to happen first.

The Truth Is Out There

39 minutes ago, mav52 said:

Of course history will occur in the future after it actually happens then its called history, but its got to happen first.

So, why can I move around any direction I want in space, but not in time?  I just keep getting dragged forward no matter what...

7 hours ago, PeterSt said:

How can this be related to disposable income, while each two years a new smartphone is needed, of which a nice small stereo could be bought each two years. Oh wait, I pay for those phones, I think. Hmm.

I don't think they are as far off as you think and far more advanced than we were at their age.

They can play dsd files through those iphones to some incredible sounding headphones, and the phone is so personal that it opens up social networking, the internet, and the world in general in the PALM OF THEIR HANDS,  that we could only dream of back in the day...I envy the young and future generations capabilities...my only problem is my eyes are so bad that i don't even use a smart phone, and when i do, it is a tablet or a samsung mega.

4 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

...I envy the young and future generations capabilities...

I don't envy them at all. My working nieces and nephews have no job security, their bosses are constantly haranguing them when they are not in the office, they sleep with their smartphones, they don't know what a home cooked meal is,....

I could go on and on. Their "lives" are a charade.  

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

25 minutes ago, rodrigaj said:

I don't envy them at all. My working nieces and nephews have no job security, their bosses are constantly haranguing them when they are not in the office, they sleep with their smartphones, they don't know what a home cooked meal is,....

I could go on and on. Their "lives" are a charade.  

you have a point here...i almost died when my wife told me that my daughter and son in law called uber to deliver wendys....lol

On 12/31/2017 at 4:13 PM, Ralf11 said:

So, why can I move around any direction I want in space, but not in time?  I just keep getting dragged forward no matter what...

You have been speaking to Doctor Who haven't you :)

The Truth Is Out There

On 31-12-2017 at 10:22 PM, beerandmusic said:
On 31-12-2017 at 2:39 PM, PeterSt said:

I don't think they are as far off as you think and far more advanced than we were at their age.

I think you missed my point that "we" are paying those relatively expensive toys. And "we" regard it normal. No, a necessity. Duh.

XXHighEnd (developer)

On ‎31‎-‎12‎-‎2017 at 10:13 PM, Ralf11 said:

Time is not a spatial (spacial) dimension. "Time is the stream of flowing temporal events perceived by creature consciousness." (The Urantia Book 130:7.4)

1 hour ago, Abtr said:

Time is not a spatial (spacial) dimension. "Time is the stream of flowing temporal events perceived by creature consciousness." (The Urantia Book 130:7.4)

Time is just Space in drag

you add an ic to your t and you got the 4 vector to schnizzle your dizzle

(not to be confused with icy tea or Ice-T or other non-physics stuff)

Not sure if its not the other way around actually: space is just time in drag.

In any case: Hifi is doing just as fine dining: very well and quality just has gotten better over the years. It's something that people do once they are old and wealthy enough to develop their tastes.

Keep bashing the young ones, they don't care and a good chunk will come around and get their hifi eventually.

On 12/31/2017 at 7:39 AM, PeterSt said:

I would say a smartphone is a more versatile more personally valuable device than a small stereo of the same cost.  You could say the stereo might not need repurchasing for 20 years (but that wouldn't be the audiophile crowd). 

A phone can make phone calls, texts, take and share pictures, access the internet for fun or need or business, be a GPS (with many possible good uses combined with other networking), record sound, measure sound, control thousands of other devices over networks, keep one apprised of weather conditions, be used to purchase things both for later and for immediate use etc etc etc with more uses than I have time to list.  Plus more not yet quite reaching critical mass or imagined.   

A stereo for the same money is actually kind of pitiful in its capabilities.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

It's a lack of marketing and products targeted at teenagers and 20-30 year olds.  I still can't find a single product that's a good DAC/Pre-amp for just some cheap JBL studio monitors... settled on a Schiit Magni and Modi with a giant stupid power wart.  The juice isn't worth the squeeze at the lower price segments because there is no innovation by manufacturers. 

There should be fierce competition in items like that ELAC Integrated amplifier EA101EQ-G and it should cost no more than $300. 

Headphones, Studio monitors, small integrated amps/receivers that are actually good.  That's how you get the younger generation. 

Oh another thing I wanted to add is that younger people grew up with itunes and libraries of music that they purchased tied to login accounts etc.  Owning a turntable and purchasing vinyl is tangible and gives them something they have never had before.  That's why it's become so trendy.