IGNORED

Cultural Death of Hi-Fi

GUTB

22 minutes ago, zackthedog said:

"Itsy Bitsy Bikini" and "Sugar".

What are you referring to now ? not Middle of the Road or something ?

(I still like that - haha)

PS: Asking for your age would be more convenient, but I won't.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

20 hours ago, PeterSt said:

IMG_2062a.thumb.JPG.430f97d13c63204933f656387eac599e.JPG

20130915_151328_P9151242_OMD-groot.thumb.JPG.7d793b3d50401d557790f3ec3305ec7b.JPG

I bet that the lady is thinking something in the lines of "I wonder how I can get the vacuum cleaner behing this mammoth". :D

How much is an Orelino by the way?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

5 hours ago, semente said:

how I can get the vacuum cleaner behing this mammoth". :D

How much is an Orelino by the way?

130lbs or so for one. :P

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

13 hours ago, gmgraves said:

This goes back to my OP in this thread. When the school systems cut out music appreciation programs as being expensively non-essential, they eliminated the chance to expose youngsters to hearing something great. Thus we have three or four generations of Americans who have never been exposed to classical music and many don't even know who Bach or Beethoven even were!. We have to blame the educational system for at least some of this state of affairs. Like I said, most kids who took music appreciation hated it, but about 10 percent became lifelong lovers of the genre. The rest actually learned something about the music, even if they didn't like it. 

Do you know that in the 1940's a song writer of popular music could include in the song a reference to Leoncavallo's opera Pagliacci, and the bobbysoxers actually knew what the reference meant?!! Try that today and see what happens! Huh, what? 

You have to wonder where all the money has gone.  We had art and music appreciation programs back in the dark ages when I went to school.   Why can't we afford it now?  What has changed?  If we could afford it in 1960,  why we can not afford music and other educational programs now?  

I pay more in property tax (with less Federal deduction - thanks Trump)  than I paid for the mortgage of my first home.   Not much to show for these taxes:  the school system sucks, the roads are worthy of Lagos,  and the only solution seems to be more taxes.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

14 hours ago, gmgraves said:

This goes back to my OP in this thread. When the school systems cut out music appreciation programs as being expensively non-essential, they eliminated the chance to expose youngsters to hearing something great. Thus we have three or four generations of Americans who have never been exposed to classical music and many don't even know who Bach or Beethoven even were!. We have to blame the educational system for at least some of this state of affairs. Like I said, most kids who took music appreciation hated it, but about 10 percent became lifelong lovers of the genre. The rest actually learned something about the music, even if they didn't like it. 

Do you know that in the 1940's a song writer of popular music could include in the song a reference to Leoncavallo's opera Pagliacci, and the bobbysoxers actually knew what the reference meant?!! Try that today and see what happens! Huh, what? 

And parents of these children are unable to fill the void?

47 minutes ago, NOMBEDES said:

You have to wonder where all the money has gone.  We had art and music appreciation programs back in the dark ages when I went to school.   Why can't we afford it now?  What has changed?  If we could afford it in 1960,  why we can not afford music and other educational programs now?  

The money's gone to accounts in Panamá, Caiman Islands, etc. Then Governments used taxpayer money to bailout banks. Then the mid and lower classes voted for populist causes and politicians only to find themselves even poorer as a result.

Shameless greed wins.

15 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I am the product of the inner city, South Bronx educational system of the 60's.

We had to take one year of music appreciation satisfied by either sitting in class, taking a musical instrument class or singing in choir. I couldn't sing and I did not want to play a musical instrument so I had to sit through music appreciation.

Like you said, I hated it.

Now I only listen to classical music and attend classical music concerts. The seed planted back in the 60's blossomed in the 80's.

I truly feel sorry for the kids these days.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

59 minutes ago, tmkirst said:

And parents of these children are unable to fill the void?

My father abandoned my mom when I was 7. She had to work in a factory to support me and my sister. She had an 8th grade education.

So no, many parents can't fill the void. 

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

9 hours ago, semente said:

I bet that the lady is thinking something in the lines of "I wonder how I can get the vacuum cleaner behing this mammoth". :D

Whaaaat?  Was it just because she s a woman or was it her ethnicity that made you think that when you looked at that picture?  Holy smokes.  

David

10 minutes ago, realhifi said:

Whaaaat?  Was it just because she s a woman or was it her ethnicity that made you think that when you looked at that picture?  Holy smokes.  

Man caves are not famous for being tidy.

3 hours ago, NOMBEDES said:

I pay more in property tax (with less Federal deduction - thanks Trump)  than I paid for the mortgage of my first home.   Not much to show for these taxes:  the school system sucks, the roads are worthy of Lagos,  and the only solution seems to be more taxes.

school systems have a LOT more non-teaching employees nowadays

2 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

I am the product of the inner city, South Bronx educational system of the 60's.

We had to take one year of music appreciation satisfied by either sitting in class, taking a musical instrument class or singing in choir. I couldn't sing and I did not want to play a musical instrument so I had to sit through music appreciation.

Like you said, I hated it.

Now I only listen to classical music and attend classical music concerts. The seed planted back in the 60's blossomed in the 80's.

I truly feel sorry for the kids these days.

That's a great story, inspirational even! I agree with you about today's kids (and several generations before them).

George

40 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

No, the classical music scene is not really flourishing. Been to a symphony concert or an opera recently? How about one of those high-definition Metropolitan Opera remote performances at a local theater?

The amount of press given the arts in general has taken an abysmal turn.  Major news papers and established bastions of good taste simply letting some very skilled and highly regarded people out the pasture gate so they can give more column inches to celebrity culture has turned into an epidemic.  

Can you imagine performing publicly as a serious musician named Kim Kashkashian in today's environment?  I wouldn't blame anyone who ran for the exits after reading the first four letters.

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

No, the classical music scene is not really flourishing. Been to a symphony concert or an opera recently? How about one of those high-definition Metropolitan Opera remote performances at a local theater? There's nobody there but old people. 

Can we cut the gerontophobia?  Just because something doesn't attract young people  doesn't automatically mean it's not flourishing.

11 minutes ago, Norton said:

Can we cut the gerontophobia?  Just because something doesn't attract young people  doesn't automatically mean it's not flourishing.

Huh? Gerontophobia? You're joking, right? The point is that when those geriatric classical music aficionados pass from this mortal sphere, there is NO ONE to take their place! I might add that the pop music scene is almost as bad. When the baby-boomers pass, the music to which they listen will pass into oblivion too. The music will still exist, but there won't be anyone left to listen to it. How many people do you think still listen to Rudy Valee, Al Jolsen, or Russ Columbo any more? 

George

20 minutes ago, Norton said:

But then how do square that with stories like this:

http://slippedisc.com/2016/06/worst-ever-us-classical-sales-chart/

Where Neilson tracked less than 100 sales for any classical album release in the US, the lowest EVER since they started keeping track?

17 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Huh? Gerontophobia? You're joking, right? The point is that when those geriatric classical music aficionados pass from this mortal sphere, there is NO ONE to take their place! I might add that the pop music scene is almost as bad. When the baby-boomers pass, the music to which they listen will pass into oblivion too. The music will still exist, but there won't be anyone left to listen to it. How many people do you think still listen to Rudy Valee, Al Jolsen, or Russ Columbo any more? 

OK so I was  being a little tongue in cheek, although I am fed up with youth relevance as seemingly  the only arbiter of success these days.

I've only been going to classical concerts for the past 20 years or so, but I have no  sense that the average audience age has changed in that time.  I just think that people "grow in" to classical music at a certain age and replace the "departed"

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

But then how do square that with stories like this:

http://slippedisc.com/2016/06/worst-ever-us-classical-sales-chart/

Where Neilson tracked less than 100 sales for any classical album release in the US, the lowest EVER since they started keeping track?

And I asked...those sales numbers do include downloads, not just physical discs or LPs.