IGNORED

Cultural Death of Hi-Fi

GUTB

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

No, the classical music scene is not really flourishing. Been to a symphony concert or an opera recently? How about one of those high-definition Metropolitan Opera remote performances at a local theater? There's nobody there but old people. 

Can we cut the gerontophobia?  Just because something doesn't attract young people  doesn't automatically mean it's not flourishing.

17 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Huh? Gerontophobia? You're joking, right? The point is that when those geriatric classical music aficionados pass from this mortal sphere, there is NO ONE to take their place! I might add that the pop music scene is almost as bad. When the baby-boomers pass, the music to which they listen will pass into oblivion too. The music will still exist, but there won't be anyone left to listen to it. How many people do you think still listen to Rudy Valee, Al Jolsen, or Russ Columbo any more? 

OK so I was  being a little tongue in cheek, although I am fed up with youth relevance as seemingly  the only arbiter of success these days.

I've only been going to classical concerts for the past 20 years or so, but I have no  sense that the average audience age has changed in that time.  I just think that people "grow in" to classical music at a certain age and replace the "departed"