IGNORED

Ripping HDCD on a Mac

Ralf11

• 4 weeks later...

@Ralf11IMHO all the above is too too time consuming like when I ripped my DVD-A albums using DVD-

A Extractor so I just listen to my DEAD collection using my old Harmon-Kardon HDCD 5 disc changer and I listen to the DVD-A American Beauty and Workingman's Dead on my old Yamaha DVD-A SACD CD DVD 5 disc changer(with an Outlaw Audio ICBM bass manager)!

Granted it is a royal PIA to put the discs in a changer but...

Plus I really can't tell the difference especially listening to the DEAD in MQA on TIDAL or the the HiRez recordings ie Nassau  etc ones wgscott sent me a long time ago plus I ripped all my DEAD in AIFF to my iTunes library which was a real royal PIA and i can't remember the last time i even listened to my iTunes library-at the same time I never realized that something like DBpoweramp had an HDCD choice I wonder if I go back to my iTunes library I could convert the DEAD albums using DBpoweramp?

bobbmd

• 2 months later...

Thanks to this thread I tried dbpoweramp for mac for this purpose and it worked for me pretty easy.  Files are showing up 24/44 (including one I thought was HDCD but actually wasn’t, stayed 16/44 as to be expected).  So with a bit of listening to some Stephen Stills and Doors Audio Fidelity HDCDs decoded now vs. undecoded, this is sounding like what I would expect; although it is frankly the first time I have ever decoded this as I was mac or never had an HDCD player.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:21 AM, bobbmd said:

@Ralf11IMHO all the above is too too time consuming like when I ripped my DVD-A albums using DVD-

A Extractor so I just listen to my DEAD collection using my old Harmon-Kardon HDCD 5 disc changer and I listen to the DVD-A American Beauty and Workingman's Dead on my old Yamaha DVD-A SACD CD DVD 5 disc changer(with an Outlaw Audio ICBM bass manager)!

Granted it is a royal PIA to put the discs in a changer but...

Plus I really can't tell the difference especially listening to the DEAD in MQA on TIDAL or the the HiRez recordings ie Nassau  etc ones wgscott sent me a long time ago plus I ripped all my DEAD in AIFF to my iTunes library which was a real royal PIA and i can't remember the last time i even listened to my iTunes library-at the same time I never realized that something like DBpoweramp had an HDCD choice I wonder if I go back to my iTunes library I could convert the DEAD albums using DBpoweramp?

bobbmd

Another thing to keep in mind is the GD stopped using peak extend on their releases; I can't remember exactly when but it has been a while.  The mastering engineer realized there was a penalty being paid by those not able to decode the HDCDs.  He still likes the Pacific Microsonics AD/DA converter so he still uses it, and it lights up the light, but there should be less of a difference with later releases than earlier releases.  Now that I have cracked this finally, I plan to head to the earliest HDCD releases soon to see how they react to decoding; Europe 72 box and maybe the Fillmore '69 3 cd set comes to mind. 

I’ve had great results using dBPoweramp to rip the Dead Rhino HDCDs.   I’ve done the expanded studio releases and a few of the live issues (Truckin up to Buf, To Terrapin) but haven’t tackled the Euro 72 box.  

Ive been able to successfully convert already ripped files but some I had to re-rip from disc - David Crosby “If I could only remember...”. No idea why.  

As mentioned, some have a bigger improvement than others. 

3 hours ago, bmoregnr said:

Another thing to keep in mind is the GD stopped using peak extend on their releases; I can't remember exactly when but it has been a while.  The mastering engineer realized there was a penalty being paid by those not able to decode the HDCDs.  He still likes the Pacific Microsonics AD/DA converter so he still uses it, and it lights up the light, but there should be less of a difference with later releases than earlier releases.  Now that I have cracked this finally, I plan to head to the earliest HDCD releases soon to see how they react to decoding; Europe 72 box and maybe the Fillmore '69 3 cd set comes to mind. 

Thx - I'lll try to find out when that happened.

I'll be interested to hear your results with the  Europe 72 box !!

21 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Thx - I'lll try to find out when that happened.

I'll be interested to hear your results with the  Europe 72 box !!

We talk about this in the Steve Hoffman forum, our resident expert surmises this "The Vault series are not true HDCD. Steppin’ Out, the E72 box and Dick’s Picks 15-36 are “true” HDCD. Road Trips and the Download Series are inconsistent. Dave’s Pick through the end of 2014 (I think) are true HDCD; definitely no HDCD from 2015 on. Not sure about Steal Your Face, but probably not; all the other albums originally released when Jerry was alive aren’t, Phil Zone is not, 2-11-69 is not. Fillmore West ‘69 box is."  http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/best-sounding-grateful-dead-cd-with-hdcd-encoding.725591/