IGNORED

Briscati M12 | PS Audio Direct Stream | Mola Mola Makua

Digital gurus,

has anyone had the opportunity to hear these 3 DAC/preamps. I am considering one of these units to server as my volume control if I decide not to go with a analog preamp (Luxman c900u).

the back end of the system so far will be Kef Blade 2 + Luxman m900u + some preamp ??? + some DAC.

All 3 of the DACs are ROON compatible. The M12 has a ROON update forth coming..

• 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, barrows said:

The Mola Mola DAC (either in the Makua, or the new stand alone Tambaqui) is at least the equal of, if not better than, any other DAC I have ever heard.  This includes the dCS Vivaldi stack, Chord DAVE, etc, and on another level form the PS Audio.  I have not heard Bricasti in the M12 guise.

If I was facing this choice I would go Mola Mola without question, at this price though, any reasonable dealer is going to have to allow for an in home demo.  I would never advise spending that kind of money without an i home trial.  I would not be afraid of going DAC direct, just try it at home.

I think that is what I will be doing.  I am now inclined to get the Luxman preamp and the new Tambaqui DAC. 

"A preamp is just an additional source of noise and distortion, which are cumulative."

Do you feel the same way about preamps that have built in DAC's such as the Makua, Briscati M12, etc.. In you opinion would the Tambaqui or M1 DAC (in theory) be better than using the analog Makua or Briscati M12 variants of such models?

The preamps do have some features that I may need such as loudness and tone controls. Though that can be excluded in this question which relates to the additional noise and distortion.

32 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

Are you moving forward with the upgrade?

I am getting my finances in order and will be shopping around this year. I plan to take it slow. First thing I want to do is go to the LA Audio show in June to see everything under one roof. Then start auditioning to buy something. I also need to wait until the Mola Mola Tamaqui is released (around May 2018?). I also want to hear the latest Resonessence units.