IGNORED

Operating systems and their sound signatures

For the kind of money and aggravation being discussed why not try a Dante interface?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, zackthedog said:

Well, I wouldn't call it aggravation. ;-)  I've quite enjoyed putting together my own server.  The learning curve wasn't all that steep.  The Dante system certainly avoids a lot of issues.  But you still have a to use a server, don't you?  And won't the sound still be affected to some degree by the OS/playback software combo?

As Dante works over ethernet, how would the OS effect the sound?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

13 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Yeah, we know, "bits are bits" and that's all that matters according to some.

It shouldn't matter with Coax SPDIF or USB either after making changes to PSUs ,RAM, Clocks, installing SATÂ Filters  etc. provided that there have been no changes made after the port that it leaves from, but a large number of members will now tell you that it does matter !

So if the OS in use effects sound quality upon playback, I would assume you'll think it effects sound quality during recording/mastering.  If that is the case, then it seems likely there could be interactions where playing back a Windows mastered digital file might respond to Windows playback differently than Mac playback.  So with all the trillions of possible permutations how likely is it that one OS simply has better sound than another?  And that is ignoring how OS activity varies tremendously depending upon the thousands of possible permutations of hardware it runs upon?  

Things that make you go.................................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

18 minutes ago, semente said:

I wouldn't lose too much sleep, I'm sure that MQA will be able to solve all those OS interaction problems with its magical filters...o.O

But if bits ain't bits because filtering isn't perfect, how can filtering (which is by its nature imperfect) make bits perfectly bits??

MQA-Many Questions Abound

1 hour ago, zackthedog said:

Don't know anything about this product, but it should work.