IGNORED

Operating systems and their sound signatures

After modifying my mobo with the sCLK-EX, I find that any optimization has little to no effect.  I'm sure it would be the same for choice of OS.  Thus Windows 10 is fine.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

2 hours ago, zackthedog said:

I recently built a Windows 10 all-in-one server/ripper with the SOtM Usb card and an HDPlex multi-rail LPS.  I've tried many OS's but my wife made it clear that she much prefers the "easier" sound of Windows.  Since I'd rather she listen to music with me than not, I've settled on it for now, without a lot of complaint.  It's musical and the new 64-bit JRiver is definitely an improvement, to my ears.  So in the spirit of experimentation and what-the-heck-ism I tried Windows Server 2016 today.

Doggonnit.

I literally rocked back in my listening chair at the dramatic increase in clarity and presence.

Well, I have six months to put away some money for activation. :-)

If you added a sCLK-EX to that mobo and tXUSBexp PCIe card, you wouldn't need Server 2016.  Your SQ would benefit greatly above and beyond just an OS change.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

2 hours ago, Tomslin said:

Why wouldn't he need it? Too much good it can never be. Also it's hard to drop an improvement once you've heard it. And as I said earlier, improvement is large, especially in Core mode.

I suspect the clean power with the better clocking negates any negative SQ issues with software processing bloat.

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

You would also be around $700 poorer ?

What would the cost of Server 2016 be?  Which you wouldn't need with the sCLK-EX.  Just use unlicensed Windows 10, free.

7 hours ago, One and a half said:

A Google search can reveal a full license of 2016 Server with product key for USD59.00.

Could you be more specific where you found that price.  I'm not seeing anything that cheap for Server 2016?  Here is New Egg's pricing and it is not anywhere near that price?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1B4-003A-00062

This ones a little better.

https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Microsoft-Windows-Server-2016-Essentials-license/4322468.aspx

Thanks, PeterSt, for your breakdown on the Windows OS's, very informative.  I was going to mess with Server 16, just for fun, but after your post and my own optimization of Windows 10 Pro, I am going to bag the idea.  Don't see the point, like you say, once you have reached a non GUI mode with either of these OS's, basically you have similar results.  

Also, my own experience with the modified mobo using the sCLK-EX have changed the game and any further attempts at change or optimization of OS seem to be for naught.  

As far as choice of mobo, I also think the sCLK-EX is a game changer and choice is not nearly as important, thus smaller with clean power, less foot print is more desirable in my system synergy.  Would be interesting to hear from someone using a more powerful ATX mobo and sCLK-EX.  I think the results would be the same.  If your system synergy requires upsampling with HQP,  then the sCLK-EX mod would also benefit you greatly, maybe more so.  But not necessarily better than a low power system.