IGNORED

DIY Server beginners guide

17 hours ago, audiogurujax said:

DIY Server beginners guide

Hi, I am new to custom audio server, after playing around with the MicroRendu and then Ultrarendu, I am now interested in jumping into the dedicated audio server, I am a full time IT consultant, yes I know computers in and out and I can put together a PC with one hand behind my back, but I don't have the knowledge in terms of what to look on a motherboard for audio, what are the best options for MB, Case, PS, HD, Memory, ETC.. It will be nice if we can start a Topic where you can have the basics of DIY audio servers with links to the best MB, Cases, PS, OS, Software, components etc. Like a starting point for people interested in building their own servers.

Mmm - the IT consultant in me still cringes at the word "server" being hijacked this way by the general computer audio community, especially, when it often leads to the strange notion that the computer running the audio file player application is somehow "serving" those files to its USB tethered DAC!

How do you do it with no apparent second look, especially someone with your background and still new to computer audio?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox