IGNORED

Roon + HQPlayer server (fanless, if possible)

JJarego

I have both HQPlayer and ROON running on i7700 CPU that has TDP of 65W, and be able to upsample to DSD512 using Poly-sinc-xtr / mp -2 filters, and it can run without CUDA Offload.  In order to run Poly-sinc-xtr / mp non-2's filters, you will need a CPU with much more physical cores than just 4 as well as enough L3 cache.  I know of one person successfully build and run all HQPlayer non-2's filters using AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X, and he think 1920X likely will work as well, but I have not seen any confimation on this.  In any case, this will take the TDP up to 180W, which is going to be very challenging finding a suitable fanless case.

I do have both JCAT Femto USB and NET cards in my system, and I can recommend them without hesitation.  They both bring significant SQ improve for my system.  If you are going to get them, plan for good linear power supplies, as they do help contribute additional SQ improvement.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, sbenyo said:

I finally managed to build a PC for DSD512.

I am using AMD Threadripper 1920x and now I can easily play DSD512 with poly-sync-xtr-mp-2s filter!!

I don't even use CUDA offload and cpu utilization is not exceeding 15%!

My whole build costs less than $2000...

I also use the Muso for HQPlayer GUI. It works amazing! (better with older HQPlayer). It has a great UI/UX for managing album library and full integration with HQPlayer. Best solution I found so far.

Great news.  Glad to know 1920X will work.

Is it possible to list other components used for this build?  I would like to put one together as well, so this information will be very useful.

5 minutes ago, sbenyo said:

My Build is:

CPU: AMD Threadripper 1920x 

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH U14s TR4/SP3

Memory: 4x8gb Flare-X 3200 (Quad)

Motherboard: MSI x399 ac gaming carbon

PSU: Seasonic Prime 750W

SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 250gb

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 blackout + window

GPU: Nvidia gtx 210

Let me know if you need any more information. Build itself was really smooth and simple even though it was my first one.

Thank you for the detailed listing, this is very helpful.  Bookmarked.