IGNORED

The fact that Atkinson showed up here

6 hours ago, esldude said:

I don't think that passes muster with those complaining about the challenges.  The offer to compensate is so it isn't a waste of time.

No, I’m just not interested and consider it a waste of my time. His compensation doesn’t change that for me. Make it $100K and I’d start to think about it:D.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

10 hours ago, esldude said:

Maybe we could start a business to digitally record at 24/384 vinyl which was digitally sourced.  That way it would have the goodness of its pass thru the LP/analog world, and be hirez  excuse me HiRez***********

And this would be an even bigger scam.  

You could save yourself some of the trouble:

vinyl-ui-gif.gif

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

6 minutes ago, semente said:

You could save yourself some of the trouble:

vinyl-ui-gif.gif

True, but then it wouldn't be genuine LP/analog sound.  Just a digital simulation. 

Or I could do this and say I didn't.  That would increase the scammy quotient.

:P

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

On 12/29/2017 at 8:06 PM, Ralf11 said:

it is NOT quite probable to throw 5 heads or tails in a row - maybe JA meant "possible"

IIRC back decades to intro. stats, the P() would be 1/2 to the 5th power, a rather small likelihood 

Careful Ralph. You don't know how many times he flipped his coin. If he did so at least 62 times (and let's face it, there's probably not much else to do around the Stereophile/MQA offices these days), it would indeed be probable.

On 1/1/2018 at 10:10 PM, wdw said:

The issue is not whether you imagine your position to be correct, that is a debatable point, but more so the malice that you write into them.   You constantly offer these silly BS $$ challenges.  Please go back to hacking Hillary’s emails.  I personally believe this site as  a whole should put you on ignore.  

Queue Cogley and Kamakame.

Some people have the confidence to put their money where their mouth is.

Others can only run their mouths.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

1 hour ago, John_Atkinson said:

My statement was based on experience. For the blind listening tests on amplifiers that I organized at Stereophile's Bay Area show in 1989, we had 56 sessions each with 7 presentations of 2 amplifiers. To decide which amplifier would be playing for each of the 7 presentations, I used a random number generator to flip a virtual coin 400 times. There were several occasions when I got a string of 5 sames in a row, a couple of 6 sames, and one of 7.

John Atkinson

Editor, Streophile

This math/probability/outcome is correct.  

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

19 minutes ago, crenca said:

This math/probability/outcome is correct.  

Also, removing tests of 6 or 7 similar presentations impacts the research, regardless if this data edit is known by the test subjects.   Why allow the test subjects to take a trial where at least 2 of the presentations must be different?  Just make it random and tell everyone it is random.  

7 minutes ago, Sonicularity said:

Also, removing tests of 6 or 7 similar presentations impacts the research, regardless if this data edit is known by the test subjects.   Why allow the test subjects to take a trial where at least 2 of the presentations must be different?  Just make it random and tell everyone it is random.  

You sure about this?  I thought removing outliers was valid in such things.  I happen to have two close relatives (what are the odds? :) ) who are PhD statisticians I could ask if I get motivated to drop one of them an email...not that I am... ;)

11 minutes ago, crenca said:

You sure about this?  I thought removing outliers was valid in such things.  I happen to have two close relatives (what are the odds? :) ) who are PhD statisticians I could ask if I get motivated to drop one of them an email...not that I am... ;)

With statistics, I'm rarely sure.  I'd run the numbers on how often I'm sure, but I couldn't be sure about the results. :D

In the scenario mentioned above, it seems to me that the assumptions could be altered, but I don't know about the results, but it seems likely.  If I tried a similar test using only 2 presentations, and both samples had to be used for every session, everyone would either get both right or miss both.  The results would be different if the same presentation could be used for any session, where only a single miss could occur.  I think it would change both the assumptions and the results.

3 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

...I discarded strings of 6 or 7 sames as not being appropriate for a listening test: asking a listener to identify "Same or Different" when every presentation in a session was one or the other would lead  him to start second-guessing his answers.

John Atkinson

Editor, Streophile

9 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

https://www3.nd.edu/~apilking/Math10170/Information/Lectures 2015/Topic 10 Basic Probability.pdf

re: outliers - typically, it is ok to remove outliers when there is a valid reason to do so based on the experimental design - not as described above

Are you saying that JA's test design was flawed in that he tried to influence the outcome in the way he describes in the above quote?

1 minute ago, crenca said:

Are you saying that JA's test design was flawed in that he tried to influence the outcome in the way he describes in the above quote?

Think about the test situation. The listeners are told they are going hear a sequence of comparisons and are asked with each comparison to identify if the sources were the same or different. If there is a run of 6 or 7 where the correct answer is "same," - not unlikely, as I showed in my earlier posting - then my experience with blind testing - and I have a  lot of experience, please note -  is that people start to second-guess themselves. This becomes an interfering variable.

Ideally, of course, a careful experimenter would subject the listeners to a brain-wipe after each comparison so that they had no memory of what just happened, but then we would have had an army of zombies to care for when the testing was concluded :-)

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

9 minutes ago, crenca said:

I wouldn’t say that — I’d results were close might have some influence but unclear

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

2 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

Think about the test situation. The listeners are told they are going hear a sequence of comparisons and are asked with each comparison to identify if the sources were the same or different. If there is a run of 6 or 7 where the correct answer is "same," - not unlikely, as I showed in my earlier posting - then my experience with blind testing - and I have a  lot of experience, please note -  is that people start to second-guess themselves. This becomes an interfering variable.

Ideally, of course, a careful experimenter would subject the listeners to a brain-wipe after each comparison so that they had no memory of what just happened, but then we would have had an army of zombies to care for when the testing was concluded :-)

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

I am not even an amateur (let alone an expert) in experimental design.  My gut reaction however is that your instinct/experience around "second guessing" and "interfering variable" is wrong.  I suppose I have a 50/50 chance of being correct :)  No doubt someone with some expertise in this area will correct me.  Perhaps they will have something to say about this zombie situation as well...I better go check my guns... :) 

4 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

So why, then, do you feel confident in expressing an opinion?

Scratch a "junior objectivist" and you find a subjectivist who relies on his "gut feeling" instead of factual evidence. :-)

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

Ha!  all too true.  My "gut reaction" is based on a stat course I took many moons ago in college (I did get an A after all), but like you said it's probably not worth the digital ink it is printed on.  I could get into a conversation with one of my relatives, but I'm betting there is someone here who has some actual expertise in this area that will weigh in.

Besides, I actually think your "ok" doing what you did, but not for the reasons you did it.  How's that for a subjectivist answer!!  :) 

On 1/2/2018 at 6:54 PM, Samuel T Cogley said:

So Atkinson is Father Grandier?  Really?     9_9    Then who is Cardinal Richelieu?  Your attempt at highbrow falls a little flat for me.  Perhaps I'm missing the point.

Hmm - well I'm starting to feel like Vanessa Redgrave

On ‎3‎-‎1‎-‎2018 at 7:56 PM, crenca said:

You sure about this?  I thought removing outliers was valid in such things. ...

Well, in a number of replications of an experiment, a so called statistical 'outlier' would be an individual test result (or data point) that is more than 2 standard deviations removed from the mean result, assuming that the data is normally distributed. If JA in his experiment simply counted the total number of correct and incorrect responses, then the data is not normally distributed so there are no outliers. Anyway, the exclusion of runs of 6 or 7 where the correct answer is "same," is part of the experimental design; it has nothing to do with statistical outliers..