IGNORED

The fact that Atkinson showed up here

I somewhat long for the days when one had to search out a press and stand on the corner facing prosecution for distributing one's nutty inner thoughts at length.  Added bonus, no matter what was printed on it the paper ream it spooled off was never too glossy to wipe your ass when you were done.  :)

6 minutes ago, rando said:

I somewhat long for the days when one had to search out a press and stand on the corner facing prosecution for distributing one's nutty inner thoughts at length.  Added bonus, no matter what was printed on it the paper ream it spooled off was never too glossy to wipe your ass when you were done.  :)

And "I read no law abridging to mean no law abridging." Hugo Black, Smith v. California Concurring opinion 361 U.S. 147 (1959) 

15 minutes ago, rando said:

Hi,

I worked for a "company" who had toilet paper like tracing paper. At the top of the square it said "Property of the XXXXXX" and at the bottom of the square it said "Now wash your hands".

It was not until the mid 90's before they moved to soft paper with no messaging.

Regards,

Shadders.

39 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

And "I read no law abridging to mean no law abridging." Hugo Black, Smith v. California Concurring opinion 361 U.S. 147 (1959) 

Prosecution does not involve the courts.  A criminal prosecution or civil suit are two procedures involving the courts.  At this moment I'm not aware of any filings, briefs, or adjudication of a legal body resulting from this ongoing prosecution: The people of Computer Audiophile v. J.A. (Stereophile print and online magazine).  :)

37 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I worked for a "company" who had toilet paper like tracing paper. At the top of the square it said "Property of the XXXXXX" and at the bottom of the square it said "Now wash your hands".

It was not until the mid 90's before they moved to soft paper with no messaging.

Regards,

Shadders.

"Too glossy to even be usable as T.P." is a very old insult lobbed against the purveyors of "pulp" publications.  It was intended to be very tongue in cheek and humorous.  As was what preceded it.  Somehow your example was more fitting.

4 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I do not read Stereophile or the online aspects, unless i am looking for a technical analysis of an amplifier, for instance.

If Stereophile is always positive about anything new or trending, then with regards to MQA, there is no change.

The problem i suppose is that John Atkinson has stated the criticisms on this forum are all rejected - i asked which ones are accepted, no reply on this forum, he stated read the articles.

The criticisms on this site are actually not criticisms, they are facts showing the falsehoods by MQA. To me, this is where the problem resides, the journalistic press are not covering MQA with an unbiased approach, and people on here are not happy about it.

Regards,

Shadders.

I agree with you 100% that that press are not covering MQA in a complete or full/unbiased way. 

If we are going to talk about facts versus falsehoods, though, then you have to avoid being a hypocrite about that. "I asked [JA] which [criticisms] are accepted, no reply on this forum, he stated read the articles" is not the same thing as "John Atkinson has stated the criticisms on this forum are all rejected." The equation you're attempting to make simply is not true.

2 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

I agree with you 100% that that press are not covering MQA in a complete or full/unbiased way. 

If we are going to talk about facts versus falsehoods, though, then you have to avoid being a hypocrite about that. "I asked [JA] which [criticisms] are accepted, no reply on this forum, he stated read the articles" is not the same thing as "John Atkinson has stated the criticisms on this forum are all rejected." The equation you're attempting to make simply is not true.

Hi,

Agreed - i reread - he stated much of the criticisms.

I will amend my post.

Regards,

Shadders.

54 minutes ago, rando said:

Prosecution does not involve the courts.  A criminal prosecution or civil suit are two procedures involving the courts.  At this moment I'm not aware of any filings, briefs, or adjudication of a legal body resulting from this ongoing prosecution: The people of Computer Audiophile v. J.A. (Stereophile print and online magazine).  :)

Careful with grouping “The people of Computer Audiophile” into one anti Stereophile crowd. I’m betting if you took a poll (that’s IF ALL readers were to participate) you’d find that it’s a minority that has any axe to grind with either JA or Stereophile. Actually it’s most likely that it’s a VERY small minority. Even if the comment was offhand and a joke I’m betting Chris would NOT like seeing that either. I can’t imagine he wants to endorse a witchunt against prominent publications (Stereophile or Absolute Sound) and risk his and his sites reputation over this MQA business. 

David

26 minutes ago, realhifi said:

Careful with grouping “The people of Computer Audiophile” into one anti Stereophile crowd. I’m betting if you took a poll (that’s IF ALL readers were to participate) you’d find that it’s a minority that has any axe to grind with either JA or Stereophile. Actually it’s most likely that it’s a VERY small minority. Even if the comment was offhand and a joke I’m betting Chris would NOT like seeing that either. I can’t imagine he wants to endorse a witchunt against prominent publications (Stereophile or Absolute Sound) and risk his and his sites reputation over this MQA business. 

Puuuleeeese, as he has explicitly acknowledged he hosts the "largest anti-MQA site" - you don't think he does this intentionally?  Selfishly, he gets the clicks, altruistically, he furthers the "progress" of Audiophiledom.  This is often opposed to Stereophile, TAS, and the rest of the status quo gatekeepers.

As far as you and @wdw and all the others who are anxious over the status quo and "chasing off industry representatives", I say welcome to the future where the confidence game is actually seen for what it is (by some of us).  JA is a big boy, he can take a little (actually a lot) of critical questioning and even a hanful of internet blow hards (that would be you and me :) ).  In fact he came here, said just a little, and dropped teasers for future articles.  He is laughing at your anxiety all the way to the bank...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

1 hour ago, realhifi said:

Sorry but that ship sailed in 2016. His site and his reputation have benefited from the criticism of MQA. Watch some of the videos of the 2017 RMAF seminars. Imagine the people in the industry who call and email to complain.

2 hours ago, firedog said:

No, it just means they don't interest anyone enough to waste their time on them.

I don't think that passes muster with those complaining about the challenges.  The offer to compensate is so it isn't a waste of time.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, crenca said:

Puuuleeeese, as he has explicitly acknowledged he hosts the "largest anti-MQA site" - you don't think he does this intentionally?  Selfishly, he gets the clicks, altruistically, he furthers the "progress" of Audiophiledom.  This is often opposed to Stereophile, TAS, and the rest of the status quo gatekeepers.

As far as you and @wdw and all the others who are anxious over the status quo and "chasing off industry representatives", I say welcome to the future where the confidence game is actually seen for what it is (by some of us).  JA is a big boy, he can take a little (actually a lot) of critical questioning and even a hanful of internet blow hards (that would be you and me :) ).  In fact he came here, said just a little, and dropped teasers for future articles.  He is laughing at your anxiety all the way to the bank...

Do I seem anxious?  I happen to think JA can more than handle himself here or any other little chat room that might pop up on the web.

I'm not concerned at all about chasing any industry folks off as most just wouldn't bother to begin with.  As I posted earlier, I'm surprised JA even bothered to show up here but I'm sure you're right in that he delights in some banter with such "experts".

As far as Chris's altruism.....really?  :)

David

4 hours ago, realhifi said:

Chris is welcome to edit my posts and discredit my jokes as he sees fit.  Gauging by your reaction I may have gone a bit close to the skin.  Please take another look at the offending statement's context before deciding it wasn't making a fair amount of the above at the same level that it spoke to you on.  

4 minutes ago, rando said:

Chris is welcome to edit my posts and discredit my jokes as he sees fit.  Gauging by your reaction I may have gone a bit close to the skin.  Please take another look at the offending statement's context before deciding it wasn't making a fair amount of the point you stated above at the same level that it spoke to you on.  

? yep, you’re right, just a wee bit jumpy I guess. No harm no foul?

David

8 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

+1

Digitally sourced vinyl is one of the biggest, it not the biggest scam in audiophilia today.

Maybe we could start a business to digitally record at 24/384 vinyl which was digitally sourced.  That way it would have the goodness of its pass thru the LP/analog world, and be hirez  excuse me HiRez***********

And this would be an even bigger scam.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

5 minutes ago, esldude said:

And this would be an even bigger scam

And one that could probably make a lot of money.

Lets talk dude.  :D

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.