IGNORED

Balanced Power

Ralf11

13 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I wonder if balance power is better than a good isolation transformer?  It sure is a lot more $$, maybe due to the many used  isolation transformers available.

The other thing is the the retail cost relative to the parts cost...  

Balanced is essentially a subset of isolation with specific wiring. A good balanced system needs a good isolation transformer as it’s basis.

Not everyone is comfortable nor knowledgeable enough to safely nor properly wire, gfci etc, so the retail cost reflects the knowledge, certifications etc.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

21 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

any thoughts about its efficacy for improving SQ vs. a 'simple' isolation transformer?

(and welcome back BTW)

mansr - those selling balanced supplies for audio are using the term differently, hence my OP

There are many advocates for various grounding schemes which insist that there is only one best way. 

Yes Brown and Whitlock are great starting points. 

I personally use Equi-tech balanced for my audio but also use floating and traditional isolation transformers in various situations.

Good design, solid isolation and avoidance of cheap SMPS goes a long way. 

Ideally you could try dystems and see which has had the best SQ — I think that many of these debates are system dependent assuming solid components are being used.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.