IGNORED

Improving Schiit Eitr Sound Quality (2018)

2 hours ago, EMMM said:

3. I had previously tried an old Audioquest digital coaxial cable I had lying around and compared it to a cheaper (and newer) Belden 1694 coaxial cable.  I felt that the Audioquest was more laid back and gave a slightly better sense of space to the performers and musicians, but preferred the immediacy, bass and snappier presentation of the 1694.  I recently purchased some Belden 4794R cable which is still burning in.  Early impressions are that it is somewhere in between the Audioquest and 1694, but with better body and a slightly darker sound.

I moved in the opposite direction to you concerning cables.  I initially set up my Eitr with a simple Belden coax - I was curious to try it after all the good reports.  I lived with it quite happily until I had the opportunity to try an AQ Carbon.  The improvement was so obvious (in my system) it was an easy upgrade decision. Much more musical sound - clearly less 'digital' to my ears.

At the other end, I also use the little USPCB link and am quite happy with it.  Previously I had a Curious Cable  - can't say I gained anything noticeable from changing.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

23 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

I moved in the opposite direction to you concerning cables.  I initially set up my Eitr with a simple Belden coax - I was curious to try it after all the good reports.  I lived with it quite happily until I had the opportunity to try an AQ Carbon.  The improvement was so obvious (in my system) it was an easy upgrade decision. Much more musical sound - clearly less 'digital' to my ears.

At the other end, I also use the little USPCB link and am quite happy with it.  Previously I had a Curious Cable  - can't say I gained anything noticeable from changing.

Not surprised to hear that.  My old Audioquest cable is about 20 years old, so it would be an easy guess that a much newer Carbon would trounce it handily.

2 hours ago, sound_wave said:

Hi,

i was wondering whether it’s possible to power the Schiit Eitr with a power bank? I’m considering something like this to make it transportable - https://www.ipoweradd.com/products/poweradd-pilot-pro-32000mah-power-bank-portable-charger-for-laptop

The Eitr is AC input only. DC input will cause the smoke genie to appear.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, nkbg said:

Haven’t been able to find decent info on this, so asking the question here. 

Any impressions of the sonic effects of a  computer/server before the Eitr?

Like ALL things audio, what’s in front of the Eitr affects the sound very noticeably.  The sound of the server, USB cables, and any auxiliary devices have affected my Eitr.  The only thing I can say is that what worked for my previous SPDIF converter (DXIO Pro3z) does not work for my Eitr.  It’s a different animal.  I am also getting very good sound from it. 

Thanks TJHUB, I’m currently have this chain

Synology NAS (single SSD, powered by Uptone JS-2) -> ISO Regen (Uptone JS-2) -> AQ Diamond USB -> Eitr -> Shunyata Zitron SPDIF. 

Better cabling and ISO Regen has a positive impact on the sound for sure. Right now, it sounds fantastic, on par with Devialet’s Ethernet input. 

14 minutes ago, nkbg said:

Synology NAS (single SSD, powered by Uptone JS-2) -> ISO Regen (Uptone JS-2) -> AQ Diamond USB -> Eitr -> Shunyata Zitron SPDIF. 

Better cabling and ISO Regen has a positive impact on the sound for sure. Right now, it sounds fantastic, on par with Devialet’s Ethernet input. 

Ironically, the cheapest USB cable I own (and never liked) sounds the best by far...

Synology NAS -> tweaked Server 2016 computer -> Pangea USB cable -> Eitr -> Acoustic Zen Absolute 75 SPDIF cable.

I’m certain the Eitr is not “better” than the Pro3z, but more of a different presentation. I’ve been able to get very good sound that I am content with, but will be on the look out for Schiit’s upcoming new offering.  

12 hours ago, nkbg said:

That's an interesting chain that you have there. I never knew you could use the Synology USB ports in this manner.  It does open up some interesting possibilities.  What software or program are you using to output your music directly from the Synology NAS? 

As for upgrading the power supply of a NAS, I tried powering my own Synology dual bay NAS with a spare sBooster 12V power supply that I had lying around and the improvement was noticeable.  It is connected via ethernet Cat 6 cable to my router then on to my audio streamers, but I've often wondered about using the USB port.

I'm using Eitr connected between Raspberry Pi with USPCB adapter and DAC via Oyiade silver digital coax. Works great ?

I didn't spend much time juggling USB cables as I decided to believe hard wired adapter is better than any cable. But after I upgraded from generic digital coax cable to the solid core silver, the sound improved. At least I think so. There was definitely quite long burn-in period before the silver cable came to life, about a week or so.

After this experience I also upgraded analog interconnects to solid core silver wires with great results, but that's another story.

I have a very annoying problem using an Eitr between my Sonore Microrendu and my Yggy. I have a gas fireplace as the primary source of heat for my living room, where my audio system is located. The fireplace is on a thermostat and every time it kicks on (every few minutes) the Yggy clicks several times and, during said clicking, produces no music. I'm sure it's not good wear and tear  for the Yggy either. The fireplace was off all summer but is back in play now that the weather is turning cold. It seems having the Eitr /Yggy on the same circuit as the fireplace is causing the interference.

I just select a different input on the Yggy when not listening to music from my Microrendu to stop the clicking. I know getting the Analog 2 upgrade will solve the problem, but any ideas about replacing the Eitr with a different USB converter or something not too expensive an electrician can do? any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

If you can't get your Yggy plugged in to a different wall outlet on a separate breaker try a good UPS. If your power goes out for long enough for the Yggy to cool down you have to go through the warm up process all over again for it to sound its best. You can always have an electrician run a dedicated circuit just for your audio gear. 

Thanks for your quick replies gentlemen.

When I said the Analog 2 upgrade would solve the problem I misspoke - I meant upgrading my Yggy to the Gen 5 USB input would allow me to pull the Eitr out of the chain, problem solved.

Someone is coincidently sending me a custom Fo-Felix power distributor he's building that has great filtration and apparently does a great job of isolating components from each other, this may offer the side benefit of isolating my Eitr from my fireplace.

Thank you again for your suggestions!

Matt