IGNORED

iFi's AC iPurifier (official) - Mains Noise Buster - New videos!

23 hours ago, kumakuma said:

I'm guessing the designer was British:

uk.thumb.jpg.3e89fb4cb70746cbdbcf5b73dc66ec06.jpg

Makes perfect sense, but I'm a bit particular so I fixed it! ? ?

There is a small plastic collar around the plug with a thin key (bump) in it that forces the assemblers to put it together upside down for the USA (and right side up I imagine for the UK and elsewhere), but that is easily removed (cut/trimmed away with Exacto knife) so you can rotate the plug 180 and screw it back in.

IMG_1123.thumb.jpg.886dafee5ba6db3869c051edb288f498.jpg

---------------

Rich Brkich

Owner, Signature Sound

Liverpool, New York USA

FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/Signature.Sound.HiFi

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2018 at 11:40 AM, firedog said:

Thanks, I ordered 2. 

Will just chime in and say I used them to replace an isolation transformer I had on my wall outlet. These seem to work at least as well in terms of noise reduction and unlike the isolator - they don't hum. I like the fact that they have the ground/polarity indicators. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 2 weeks later...

Dear iFi,

I've a question about the ground jack of the AC ipurifier, is it (sonically) beneficial compared to grounding directly to the ground of AC mains? Is noise reduction or filtering applied to the ground jack also? or is it a feature for the gears without ground connection?

Anyway I think the AC iPurifiers (i'm using 3) make positive impacts. First I thought they are subtle but I realize they are beneficial. I think the sound colors and texture of instruments are more exact and listening fatigue has been reduced.

I too find a modest but appreciable benefit.  I put two in my system about 10 days ago.  Today, I pulled both out after a few hours of listening.  Much easier to hear what they remove with them out.  Worthwhile despite the crooked top and way too bright LEDs.  Tape fixed it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried a few different power filtering options over the years and have discarded them all, usually because of a detrimental effect to the dynamics.

The iFi piqued my interest and I have been trying 2 of these in my system for the last week in every possible combination as far as location goes. I already use linear power supplies for every component including my NAS & router and  I can definitely hear a difference with the AC Purifiers but I'm not sure whether or not I like it overall. Yes the peripheral details and instrument separation are enhanced and the dynamics seem to be OK which is great, but it seems to come at a cost. The sound tends to have a bleached and less relaxed feel and the bass can get a little too hard and sterile. As a generalisation - it works OK on some music such as Orchestral and maybe Jazz but not so much on Rock/Pop/Electronic.

Here is the interesting thing.....I use DRC and have 4 filters saved that have varying amounts of bass. It is very easy to tell these apart when switching between them but with the AC Purifiers in place I really struggled to hear that difference. Now that makes me think that something is being added rather than just being taken away?

I might try it again next weekend with fresh ears but would be interested in other users long term thoughts.

• 2 months later...

I’ve had two in my system for several months.  I did notice a positive improvement in noise reduction and they stayed in place.  I’ve just removed them and will listen for a few weeks without...it was not so obvious that they are no out.  Could have been new purchase bias, I’ll find out.

21 hours ago, applesnowleo said:

The nigara gave me the sensation of removing a big dirty curtain in front of my speakers, but it also removed a lot of body in the music, the sound was thin but clear as water, so I had to compensate with power cables to maintain that sense of cleaning and recover some body in the music and bass.

A puzzle to solve, ain't it?

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

3 hours ago, AMR/iFi audio said:

A puzzle to solve, ain't it?

Choosing the music we like is very simple, having it delivered with the quality we expected is another thing and many times a desapointing experience.

Yes is very complicated when we add hardware that changes completely the system sound that we invested before, if you build a system without control the noise and power first, all your hardware decisions made where based for shure on the sound you know before thinking in cleaning the noise on the power line.

That hardware combination has a lot of variables with different cables and  brands that we hope to result in the best synergy, at least is what we expect of it in the end, the best possible synergy of our investiment. But when cleaning the power this could disrupt the sound signature and synergy because your system was built around a sound signature without taking this into account.

For me cleaning was and it will be an interesting journey, some hardware make noticieble changes, other more subtitle ones, the beneficts in my case had to be bettered to some extent with better quality cables, and is still not perfect, but I also think it will never be, because if perfection is attainable  the price is for shure very out of my league and I will only have a glimpse of it in audio shows.

And the puzzle grows with every step...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2017 at 5:43 AM, AMR/iFi audio said:

The following diagram depicts the placement of three AC iPurifiers in one system.

3.thumb.png.792e1888308667c97dda9d55ab86f601.png

• Insert AC iPurifier (1) into the shared mains wall outlet.
  • Place AC iPurifier (2) at the first entry point.
  • A third AC iPurifier (3) is best located in-between the two types of power supplies.

We recommend that all linear power supplies are located after the AC iPurifier (2) but before AC iPurifier (3). Then all SMPS power supplies are located after AC iPurifier (3).

Also, the digital and analogue power sources should be in their respective groups as shown in the diagram.

using the above example, and especially the sentence "We recommend that all linear power supplies are located after the AC iPurifier (2) but before AC iPurifier (3). Then all SMPS power supplies are located after AC iPurifier (3).",

for micro iusb 3.0, where should i place the ipower? after the last ipurifier (3) or between the (2) and (3)? 

i have 2 active monitor and 1 sub, so those 3 power cable should be place between (2) and (3) as well?

On 10/20/2018 at 11:25 AM, PPk said:

using the above example, and especially the sentence "We recommend that all linear power supplies are located after the AC iPurifier (2) but before AC iPurifier (3). Then all SMPS power supplies are located after AC iPurifier (3).",

for micro iusb 3.0, where should i place the ipower? after the last ipurifier (3) or between the (2) and (3)? 

i have 2 active monitor and 1 sub, so those 3 power cable should be place between (2) and (3) as well?

How many AC iPurifiers you have currently?

19 hours ago, PPk said:

in total, i have 1 macbook charger, 1 ipower for iusb 3.0, 2 power cable for left and right active monitors and 1 power cable for sub. 

Although it's unlikely, is your sub powered via linear PSU?

• 1 month later...

I have had a number of these in the system. I do however suggest IFI specifying/getting a much fainter LED light.

These light up the room like christmas (Home theater). They are so strong that they even glow green through the sides of the AC purifier unit.

Apart from this that should be addressed they do seem to do good things. But I wonder, do they have anything that possibly could limit instantaneous current draw when used in higher numbers in the systems? Any TMOVS or capacitors or anything that could act as a choke?

Headphone: JCAT Femto USB 2.0 FW -> Mytek Liberty DAC -> Hifiman Jade II energizer with SR Orange Fuse -> Hifiman Jade II (nov '19)

HT/Streaming:Xeon ROON server -> Uptone Etherregen/BG7TBL 10MHz OCXO -> Meridian 210/ATV4K -> Meridian 861V8 Processor/UHD722 HDMI upsampler -> Meridian DSP 8000SE/7200SE/5200SE Speakers. Sim2 HT380 1080P Projector with T2 Optics. XEIT Anamorphic lens. Stewart CineCurve Studiotek 130 Screen.

On 12/20/2018 at 8:23 PM, crion said:

I have had a number of these in the system. I do however suggest IFI specifying/getting a much fainter LED light.

These light up the room like christmas (Home theater). They are so strong that they even glow green through the sides of the AC purifier unit.

Apart from this that should be addressed they do seem to do good things. But I wonder, do they have anything that possibly could limit instantaneous current draw when used in higher numbers in the systems? Any TMOVS or capacitors or anything that could act as a choke?

None to our knowledge, but we'll double-check with our R&D team.

I have a question about the Intelligent Ground. Does it require that the AC iPurifier is plugged into an outlet with ground or does it provide ground anyway by using neutral as ground? I don't really see the use of it if it requires that the AC iPurifier is plugged into an outlet with ground.

How should the earth connector be applied? Do I connect it to earth from the outlet or to earth that goes to the connected equipment or directly to the connected equipment. It is not really described in the manual how to do this and there are many ways to make mistakes here.