IGNORED

iTunes - HQPlayer front-end re-visited

12 minutes ago, ivarsmu said:

Problem with Remote is that after first album finished ,selecting next album ends with iTunes play correctly, but HQP stops and dont play,

obviously reason is that no flac files creating in RAMDISK. Also wrong reaction after that with keyboard (no Flac, only ghost play). If I stop iTunes with Cmd+ . , then with comp keyboard I can continue to operate corectly. But not with Remote.

Only quitting script and iTunes allow to reanime Remote.

Regards,  

Ivars M.

OK, thanks again. Will look into this.

Geoff

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

21 minutes ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

Everyone please update to this version, thanks.

iTunes - HQPlayer Server.app.zip

Still Wav 16 bit (from ALAC)

And all those previous problems with Remote (I restarted iPad also).

But with keyboard everything is OK.

Ivars M.

iMac27 with 2 x SSD , Aqvox USB cable , Auralic Vega , McIntosh C2200 preamp , Bi-amped MC275 , Triangle Concerto , Velodyne DD15 sub , Custom Balanced Power Management , Supra Sword XLR Cables , Triangle Silver Loudspeaker Cables , Supra Power Cables

13 hours ago, ivarsmu said:

Still Wav 16 bit (from ALAC)

And all those previous problems with Remote (I restarted iPad also).

But with keyboard everything is OK.

Ivars M.

What I did was to convert an existing 24bit/96khz aiff album to ALAC. This played through HQPlayer as a 24bit/96khz source.

We need to figure out how my ALACs differ from yours.

There should be a file called "iTunes - HQPlayer Server.log". Can you open it and check which bit depth it's reporting for your 24 bit alacs?

Thanks

41 minutes ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

What I did was to convert an existing 24bit/96khz aiff album to ALAC. This played through HQPlayer as a 24bit/96khz source.

We need to figure out how my ALACs differ from yours.

There should be a file called "iTunes - HQPlayer Server.log". Can you open it and check which bit depth it's reporting for your 24 bit alacs?

Thanks

My log :

Sample Rate44100 Bit Depth: 16" Bit Depth: 16" Bit Depth: 16" Bit Depth: 16" Bit Depth: 16" Bit Depth: 16" Bit Depth: 16" Bit Depth: 16" Bit Depth: 16" Bit Depth: 16" 

there is Decibel inspector that shows 24 bit ALAC and itunes Get info also 24 bit.

Screenshot attached5a63070cd62c5_ScreenShot2018-01-20at11_04_37.thumb.jpg.7e4f88a6517e906ac7643581c00dec07.jpg

Thanks 

Ivars M

iMac27 with 2 x SSD , Aqvox USB cable , Auralic Vega , McIntosh C2200 preamp , Bi-amped MC275 , Triangle Concerto , Velodyne DD15 sub , Custom Balanced Power Management , Supra Sword XLR Cables , Triangle Silver Loudspeaker Cables , Supra Power Cables

25 minutes ago, ivarsmu said:

My log :

Sample Rate44100 Bit Depth: 16" Bit Depth: 16" Bit Depth: 16" Bit Depth: 16" Bit Depth: 16" Bit Depth: 16" Bit Depth: 16" Bit Depth: 16" Bit Depth: 16" Bit Depth: 16" 

there is Decibel inspector that shows 24 bit ALAC and itunes Get info also 24 bit.

Screenshot attached5a63070cd62c5_ScreenShot2018-01-20at11_04_37.thumb.jpg.7e4f88a6517e906ac7643581c00dec07.jpg

Thanks 

Ivars M

Thanks. The example you're showing has a sample rate of 44.1khz and sample size of 24bit. Unfortunately although the sample size is obtainable from iTunes song info it's not actually part of the iTunes Scripting dictionary, so it's not a property I can query via my script.

My solution has been to assume that if the sample rate is 48, 88.2, 96 or 192, then the sample size must be 24bit. All other sample rates must be 16bit.

A 44.1 file at 24 bit is actually fairly unusual. Is this a true 24bit or was it padded to 24 bit via a conversion or ripping program?

Anyway, I do have another method of calculating the sample size; but I'm not sure if it's working in all cases.

The attached version uses this method as a final check on sample sizes previously calculated to be 16bit.

If this doesn't work my only alternative will be to pad all WAVs to 24bit regardless of their actual sample size. This would create larger files than necessary in the 16 bit cases; but would catch all the true 24bit source files.

Before I do that, please give this next attempt a spin.

Hi Geoffrey,

Suggestion, could you add version on your app ? (1.XX) to be sure to talk about the same version ? thanks

Other suggestion, is it possible to edit your first post and show the 2 latest version for exemple

and the known issues (like remote)?

By this way anyone can refer to it.

just tested the lastest

settings iTunes - HQP server:

- no RAM

- FLAC

I put info from the FLAC file generated in HQP server temps folder ( witch is play in HQP in final).

if my original iTunes fie is ALAC 24/96 (63.6 Mo size)

in HQP folder FLAC 24/96 (70.5 Mo size)

if original ALAC 16/44

i n HQP folder FLAC 16/44

if my original file is AIFF 24/44

in HQP folder FLAC 24/44

always same rate as original

6 hours ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

Thanks. The example you're showing has a sample rate of 44.1khz and sample size of 24bit. Unfortunately although the sample size is obtainable from iTunes song info it's not actually part of the iTunes Scripting dictionary, so it's not a property I can query via my script.

My solution has been to assume that if the sample rate is 48, 88.2, 96 or 192, then the sample size must be 24bit. All other sample rates must be 16bit.

A 44.1 file at 24 bit is actually fairly unusual. Is this a true 24bit or was it padded to 24 bit via a conversion or ripping program?

Anyway, I do have another method of calculating the sample size; but I'm not sure if it's working in all cases.

The attached version uses this method as a final check on sample sizes previously calculated to be 16bit.

If this doesn't work my only alternative will be to pad all WAVs to 24bit regardless of their actual sample size. This would create larger files than necessary in the 16 bit cases; but would catch all the true 24bit source files.

Thanks, 

now there is variable bit depth , I noticed 13-bit till 18 bit on 44k sample rate.

88k, 96k, 192k is 24 bit. But 176k is 12 bit !?.

The only thing I notice , those less than 24 bit are encoded from FLAC with Max, rest with XLD or iTunes (from AIFF).

Screenshots added.5a6369f2f3018_ScreenShot2018-01-20at17_56_25.thumb.jpg.cd25eb1a65c8dc05429b5ba286000d23.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 17.57.33.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 18.00.37.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 18.01.53.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-20 at 18.04.06.jpg

6 hours ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

Is that still the case?  It used to be that iTunes could return you the Kind (Apple Lossless, AAC, etc) and bit rate but not the sample rate.  The sample rate was added in recent versions of iTunes.  Is this not scriptable?

A 24/44.1 file is not common but I have seen examples of them from HDTracks and Linn.  I even have a few.  When I used to try to make Hirez playlists before Apple would expose the sample rate, I used to come up with all kinds of schemes to figure out whether something was truly hirez or not.  In the end, I would do much like you did.  First, the "kind" had to be Apple Lossless (I had no AIFFs).  If the sample rate was 48 or more, then it belonged in the playlist.     If it was 44.1, then I was check the bit rate and if it were below a certain number (the lowest bit rate I could find for known hirez tracks in my collection), then the file was likely 16 bit and was discarded from the playlist.  This worked pretty well.

7 hours ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

Sadly, this version is still delivering 16 bit WAV files for me from ALAC.  Very frustrating.

For example I bought from Linn some 10 years ago

Barb Jungr - Walking in the sun

album as 24bit 44k.

log file shows 16 bit , but iTunes bit rate shows clearly it not 16 bit in ALAC (1,445 kbps)

Ivars M.5a6371c941893_ScreenShot2018-01-20at18_43_19.thumb.jpg.8e6c5524d02d1abc1582c414e17da299.jpg

OK, first of all this problem is limited to the creation of temp WAV files. When creating temp FLAC files you just feed in the the source file and it's sample size and sample rate are respected in the conversion to the new flac file.

For WAV it's necessary to know the sample size beforehand. The iTunes dictionary for scripting provides the bit rate and the sample rate; but not the sample size. I was trying to calculate the sample size from the bit rate and sample rate; but obviously not succeeding.

So for WAV file creation only the only way I can see to solve this is to convert all to 24bit. That means true 24bits will be respected and 16 bit will always be padded up to 24 bits in this new version.

Geoff

30 minutes ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

OK, first of all this problem is limited to the creation of temp WAV files. When creating temp FLAC files you just feed in the the source file and it's sample size and sample rate are respected in the conversion to the new flac file.

For WAV it's necessary to know the sample size beforehand. The iTunes dictionary for scripting provides the bit rate and the sample rate; but not the sample size. I was trying to calculate the sample size from the bit rate and sample rate; but obviously not succeeding.

So for WAV file creation only the only way I can see to solve this is to convert all to 24bit. That means true 24bits will be respected and 16 bit will always be padded up to 24 bits in this new version.

Geoff

Last edit, log still 16 bit, HQP show 24, same Barb Jungr 24b 44k album.

Which value is correct?

Screenshot .5a637dec3f546_ScreenShot2018-01-20at19_32_55.thumb.jpg.284fb992cce002f6218104af85a21d80.jpg

Thanks 

Ivars M.

12 minutes ago, ivarsmu said:

Last edit, log still 16 bit, HQP show 24, same Barb Jungr 24b 44k album.

Which value is correct?

Screenshot .5a637dec3f546_ScreenShot2018-01-20at19_32_55.thumb.jpg.284fb992cce002f6218104af85a21d80.jpg

Thanks 

Ivars M.

I'm no longer writing that info to the log. HQPlayer is now seeing a 24 bit source in all cases of temp WAV files which is correct and my intention as it's the only way to solve this.

Geoff

8 minutes ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

I'm no longer writing that info to the log. HQPlayer is now seeing a 24 bit source in all cases of temp WAV files which is correct and my intention as it's the only way to solve this.

Geoff

Thank You Geoff,

with keyboard all seems Ok

Ivars M

Hi Geoff, 

tested Remote with iPhone SE iOS11.2.2

and everything works perfect.

Obviously some non compatibility between iPad Remote and iPhone Remote.

So far I'm very happy, thank you again for this excellent effort.

Recomended for everyone on mac and HQP !

Ivars M.

3 minutes ago, ivarsmu said:

Hi Geoff, 

Ivars M.

Thanks again for the positive feedback Ivars and I'm glad it's working well for you now. I was suspecting some differences between the remote app running on iPad as opposed to iPhone and will be looking into that further.

The goal is obviously to have it working perfectly on all these IOS devices. I may need to introduce some small delays or similar tweaks to ensure commands from all IOS devices get passed correctly through my script.

Geoff

22 minutes ago, ivarsmu said:

Hi Geoff, 

Ivars M.

Iphone 6 iOS 11.2.2

impossible to change album with Remote app, only tracks in the current album...

how did you proceed to change album with Remote ?

3 minutes ago, Lio_B said:

Iphone 6 iOS 11.2.2

impossible to change album with remote, only tracks in the current album...

how did you proceed to change album ?

I have the same and the same problem with it. So will compare, as I said with various iPads and iPhones here and try to find a fix.

Thanks

Geoff

2 minutes ago, Lio_B said:

Iphone 6 iOS 11.2.2

impossible to change album with remote, only tracks in the current album...

how did you proceed to change album ?

With iPhone SE everything is as operating with bare iTunes without HQP, only some 2-10 sec delay.

Problems are with iPad Pro.

Regards

Ivars M.