IGNORED

Tidal - Oh No

MarkS

C279D696-3040-4BDC-915C-C85962A36BAA.png

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Just now, Rt66indierock said:

It was reported first by Norway's Today's Business. Not surprising last June Norway Today reported unpaid taxes and had confirmation from the taxing authorities in Norway.

Well that puts the story in better light. AT&T is invested in them though and they have big assets, they won’t die easily.

If TIDAL disappears, what does MQA do?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

FWIW, this is what I wrote on Oct 23 (2017) :

The last time someone at Tidal did not answer more than one email from me for many months, he had left the building.
Are you still there, or ? ...
I hope so !

So last time the person of concern responded was March 16 2017. First time without answer was May 8.

Never heard anything since. So he too must have left the building ...

I could add that my last questions (from Oct 19) were about whether a means I use (in XXHighEnd) to quickly decode a track of an MQA album in order to see some kind of "state" would not bring the artist too much money (the album/track is not played for real but it will look like that) or IOW Tidal may lose on such a process (which could be illegal)). The fact that that already never was responded to, speaks (sort of).

Anyway, I guess I saw this coming and was waiting for a good moment to tell about this.

That is today.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

I am still within my 90 day free trial for Tidal's Hifi tier. I got the free trial when I bought my Naim network player. I rather like Tidal now that I have experienced it. It would certainly be a bummer if they closed shop.

My network player also has Spotify access. I hope Spotify eventually offers a CD quality Hifi tier themselves. I would sign up immediately (especially if there is no more Tidal).

5 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

For MQA it means there may few ways to listen to MQA music files in the United States. It will be pretty hard to sell MQA DACs and that means the royalty stream they were counting on will not happen.

Exactly.  Without TIDAL, MQA really has no distribution.  There are now a lot of DAC manufacturers who have implemented MQA that are dependent on TIDAL for a return on their investment.  MQA needs to keep TIDAL alive.  The labels who have invested in MQA need to keep TIDAL alive.  With so many stakeholders, I don't see TIDAL going away unless one of the other streaming services picks up MQA distribution.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

1 hour ago, rickca said:

Exactly.  Without TIDAL, MQA really has no distribution.  There are now a lot of DAC manufacturers who have implemented MQA that are dependent on TIDAL for a return on their investment.  MQA needs to keep TIDAL alive.  The labels who have invested in MQA need to keep TIDAL alive.  With so many stakeholders, I don't see TIDAL going away unless one of the other streaming services picks up MQA distribution.

I don't think MQA has the money to keep Tidal alive. What makes you think MQA has serious money. All indications are that it doesn't.  It basically has a private family investment backing it. Doubt they will be willing to invest multiple tens of millions in Tidal. 

Sprint and the record labels invested in Tidal could keep it afloat if they see it as a revenue producer in the future. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

5 minutes ago, firedog said:

I don't think MQA has the money to keep Tidal alive. What makes you think MQA has serious money. All indications are that it doesn't.  It basically has a private family investment backing it. Doubt they will be willing to invest multiple tens of millions in Tidal. 

Sprint and the record labels invested in Tidal could keep it afloat if they see it as a revenue producer in the future. 

I only said that MQA needs to keep TIDAL alive.  I didn't say MQA had to be the source of capital.

Record labels might keep it alive as a means to re-sell the same music over and, in the future, implement DRM.  As for Sprint, at some point the investment becomes a sunk cost and walking away is the way to go.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Remember the big Tidal rollout after Jay Z purchased it?  #TIDALforALL

Image result for madonna tidal signing

We were all supposed to love Tidal because these "important" artists were finally getting paid for streaming!

As a Tidal subscriber myself, I would have panicked at the news of Tidal's demise 6 months ago.  But now, I'm ready to let it go.  Mostly because the UMG audible watermarking infects the majority of classical music on Tidal.  Why pay extra for lossless if it's clearly compromised?

I haven't seen anyone in the thread point out that Roon's fate is moderately linked to Tidal's fate.  Personally, I have way less use for Roon without Tidal.  Audirvana+ and JRiver should be more than enough.

Perhaps Bob Stuart's wife can buy Tidal.  Losing money seems to be a thing with Bob, and it seems his heiress wife is only too happy to enable him.

It might do Qobuz a great favour ...esp following the recent announcement of official US release

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

2 hours ago, realhifi said:

That would be a big loss to the Music community. 

I could always switch to another service. My issue would be lack of integration with Roon. That integration is one of the main reasons I like both programs. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

Do you have a link to this announcement? I wasn't aware of it.

Announcement reported by AFP ...

https://www.rtbf.be/culture/pop-up/detail_qobuz-prepare-son-arrivee-aux-etats-unis?id=9772232

... in French, however.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2