IGNORED

Newbie USB Cable Advice Needed

@rando, could you be a bit more specific? I'm trying to learn, that's my only goal here, but there seems to be a lot of tension on this forum which I am unintentionally stoking. I am not out to cause upset or trouble. 

Jriver, Windows 8.1, HP Pavilion G6 2215so Laptop, Dragonfly Black, Quad QCII Preamp, Quad FM 1 Radio, Quad II amp, Quad ESL Electrostatic speaker. 

@mansr Quite obviously, to me at least, the comment directly following your apparent withering sarcasm was aimed at you and nobody else.  

@Bufo Bill It is very simple.  There is no magic answer that solves this anyone or everyone.  Some steady minded well tested suggestions have been forwarded for you to take or leave as desired.  On the other end of the spectrum massive deceptions on the rare occasion manage to sell a few feet of some audio cable for multiple thousands of dollars which have no audible or measurable benefit commiserate with price.  

Think somewhere above printer cable and below getting taken for a sucker.  Play in that sandbox until you find a solution that works and build from there.

Thanks @rando, your advice has been taken on board and I will definitely be following it. Your comment that I queried had several different people it could have been aimed at, so thanks for the clarification. Sometimes typing on a web page is no replacement for face to face conversation; things get misinterpreted. 

Thanks once again. 

Jriver, Windows 8.1, HP Pavilion G6 2215so Laptop, Dragonfly Black, Quad QCII Preamp, Quad FM 1 Radio, Quad II amp, Quad ESL Electrostatic speaker. 

12 minutes ago, rando said:

It is very simple.  There is no magic answer that solves this anyone or everyone.  Some steady minded well tested suggestions have been forwarded for you to take or leave as desired.  On the other end of the spectrum massive deceptions on the rare occasion manage to sell a few feet of some audio cable for multiple thousands of dollars which have no audible or measurable benefit commiserate with price.  

Agreed.

12 minutes ago, rando said:

Think somewhere above printer cable and below getting taken for a sucker.  Play in that sandbox until you find a solution that works and build from there.

I'd include the proverbial printer cable too. It's not necessarily bad, and you probably have dozen of them already. If you do run across a bad cable, that's educational if nothing else.

Ah, yes it is compatible. Thanks for the tip off. 

Bill. 

Edit:

the optical connection (on the 2qute) supports 24bit playback but the coax and usb support upto 32bit if anyone is interested

We sell $1 cables for $2 when it can go in a box with something else. And they are selected to be (sound) the best. I am not kidding. It is still the cable which comes with the NOS1a/G3 DAC.

Selling it on its own, including packing and administration and such ... I don't think it can be done for $25 (say EUR 30).

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

On 12/13/2017 at 4:29 PM, Em2016 said:

Supra use thicker cables/conductors and their cables are somehow certified up to 15m ! Well made.

I have a Supra, Kimber Cu, and Wireworld UV7, all around the same price point. Can not hear a difference. Using the Kimber because it is slightly longer.

I use a Lifatec TosLink from my iMac to my Parasound DAC on my desktop system. Sounds good tonight. 5a33392a6ff2c_BalminGilead.thumb.jpg.8c2298293373be7b29b3d0e59e081aa1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2017 at 11:22 AM, Speedskater said:

Any well made USB 3.0 cable with the correct connectors will do. It should cost less than $2.00 per foot.

Why USB 3.0?  I'm curious why this spec would make a difference.  I posted in my DAC's thread about this here:

6 hours ago, buonassi said:

thx, good to get some reassurance.  Do you think upgrading USB audio cables between both computer/iUSB and iUSB/iDac, will add any sonic difference?  The cables that come with the iFi units look to be good quality, are USB 3.0, and are very short.  My hope is that these cables will not pose an issue given such short length, especially with the reclocker in the mix.  And the USB 3.0 spec - no idea if that is superior to asynchronous transmission integrity.  My gut feeling tells me I'll be fine with the stock cables, but gremlins always seem to punch me in the gut when it comes to my audio fidelity quest.  

I read somewhere, can't remember where, that appliances like the schiit eitr or the iUSB3.0 have much more "apparent" effect on SQ than USB cables, and cables would only be the "cherry on top" if you will.  

Supra is a trustworthy Swedish cable company with engineers who know what they’re doing. With all of their products the required specs are made, quality materials are used, build quality is good and their pricing is reasonable. I’ve almost got my entire system wired by Supra. The Supra usb cable does the job, unfortunately They don’t sell it shorter than 1 meter.

3 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

Supra is a trustworthy Swedish cable company with engineers who know what they’re doing. With all of their products the required specs are made, quality materials are used, build quality is good and their pricing is reasonable. I’ve almost got my entire system wired by Supra. The Supra usb cable does the job, unfortunately They don’t sell it shorter than 1 meter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Supra-USB-Cable-A-B-0-7m/dp/B0156QVJL6. I have two of them plus a 0.75 digital RCA-RCA cable, a 10m Toslink cable and a 0.75 analog RCA cable. I very much like Supra cables but I have found a 8m HDMI Supra cable a bit disappointing.