IGNORED

Newbie USB Cable Advice Needed

Bufo Bill

Hi, I am looking into upgrading my DAC late next year (my income is minute) to a Chord 2Qute. I obviously want the best sound from my investment, and I have been looking into what is required Cable wise. Can anyone give me any ideas about what brands or makers I should invest in, bearing in mind my limited budget? I'm  guessing buying the best I can afford is the way to go, so recommendations on where and what to buy will help give me a starting point. 

All the best from Bill. :D

Jriver, Windows 8.1, HP Pavilion G6 2215so Laptop, Dragonfly Black, Quad QCII Preamp, Quad FM 1 Radio, Quad II amp, Quad ESL Electrostatic speaker. 

25 minutes ago, Bufo Bill said:

Hi, I am looking into upgrading my DAC late next year (my income is minute) to a Chord 2Qute. I obviously want the best sound from my investment, and I have been looking into what is required Cable wise. Can anyone give me any ideas about what brands or makers I should invest in, bearing in mind my limited budget? I'm  guessing buying the best I can afford is the way to go, so recommendations on where and what to buy will help give me a starting point. 

All the best from Bill. :D

The last thing we need here is another cable debate. There is very little difference between digital cables, and what differences there are are not determined by price. What's your budget, anyway?

If on a budget I've had success with the Supra cables. The selling point of Supras is that they build a well-insulated cable with a solid 90-Ohm spec at a reasonable price.

To maximize the performance of a USB system though you'll need some way to filter or isolate the noisy power coming in on the USB's power line. Ifi sells a decently-priced filtered cable.

The Supra cable looks well made and doesn't cost a silly fortune. At £25 and up, it's still 10 times more expensive than a perfectly good, basic USB cable without a fancy brand name attached.

The OP asked for advice on USB cables with a limited budget. Suggesting products costing 10 times more than necessary isn't helpful, even if you consider them cheap and even if there are even more outrageously priced options.

Okay, so not as important as I thought! Excellent! I am aware of various ifi products, could you give me the product name please @GUTB? Many thanks for your help. 

Thanks for the replies, from Bill.

Jriver, Windows 8.1, HP Pavilion G6 2215so Laptop, Dragonfly Black, Quad QCII Preamp, Quad FM 1 Radio, Quad II amp, Quad ESL Electrostatic speaker. 

@Mansr thanks for your input, I guess when you say budget, it means different things to different people! I am grateful for all recommendations, I am a man who likes to dream! I don't think we need discuss the cables anymore, my mind is at ease now so thanks to all. :D

24 minutes ago, Bufo Bill said:

Okay, so not as important as I thought! Excellent! I am aware of various ifi products, could you give me the product name please @GUTB? Many thanks for your help. 

Thanks for the replies, from Bill.

https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/mercury3-0/

There's an older version called just the Mercury USB cable. It's the cheapest filtered USB cable that I know of. A cheaper filter option is the Jitterbug.

The best USB cables generally separate the power line from the data line entirely, but I don't know of any that are very cheap.

19 minutes ago, wwaldmanfan said:

Nice. 

15 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Have the power conductor separate but in the same cable is seen a good trade-off. Full separation looks something like this:

http://audiosensibility.com/blog/products-2/digital-cables-occ-copper-and-occ-silver/#!/Signature-Silver-USB-Cable-Type-A-B/p/56176309/category=4059160

Yowzer! That's more than half the cost of my DAC choice!

1 minute ago, Bufo Bill said:

Nice. 

Yowzer! That's more than half the cost of my DAC choice!

Yes, but they're having a 13% off Black Friday sale:

http://audiosensibility.com/blog/2017/11/22/black-friday-2017-specials-13-off/

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Removing ego and status symbols may not be the greatest part of this hobby.  Gathering a number of similar items and methodically determining which works best for your ears in your system is.  So try a few cheap ones and splurge, maybe a whole Jackson, on something from the cable lending library to get a cable just outside your budget for a few weeks.  

That's very sensible advice I think. I love Hifi because good music lets you dream. There is some pleasure to be gained from looking at the high end prices and cooing and clucking away at them. This too is a form of dreaming. 

4 minutes ago, rando said:

Removing ego and status symbols may not be the greatest part of this hobby.  Gathering a number of similar items and methodically determining which works best for your ears in your system is.  So try a few cheap ones and splurge, maybe a whole Jackson, on something from the cable lending library to get a cable just outside your budget for a few weeks.  

Just be aware that The Cable Co. charges you a deposit equal to 5% of what you are borrowing, plus shipping. The deposit is non-refundable, and can only be applied towards purchases.

I have personally tested many USB cables ranging in price from $10 to $200. The one that stood out, but not in a good way, was the $200 boutique cable. There was little difference between the others. Currently using a $50 Kimber Cu USB.

Yes from what you've all been saying to me, it seems like there are more important items in the chain to use my cash on. But I have loved looking at all the recommendations. However if I won the Lottery, I can't promise I wouldn't splurge some cash in the cable department! :D

Just now, Bufo Bill said:

Yes from what you've all been saying to me, it seems like there are more important items in the chain to use my cash on. But I have loved looking at all the recommendations. However if I won the Lottery, I can't promise I wouldn't splurge some cash in the cable department! :D

However you shouldn't cheap out on interconnects and especially not speaker cables. You want to look for OCC or Cardas copper conductors, high quality connectors (KDE, Furutech, etc) Teflon, air, or other type of advanced dialectic, etc.

Turns out Croma are easily available here in the UK. Not vastly expensive either, so maybe I will try one out at some point. 

Startech's certified USB 2.0 cables come with the "High Speed Certified" logo on the packet.

https://www.startech.com/Cables/USB-2.0/USB-2.0-Cables/3-ft-High-Speed-Certified-USB-20-Cable~USB2HAB3

Supra use thicker cables/conductors and their cables are somehow certified up to 15m ! Well made. 

http://www.jenving.com/products/view/usb-2.0-a-b-1001908381

5a319b4b9495b_ScreenShot2017-12-14at8_27_21am.thumb.png.d33379f75d05de785f0a574db26c2afd.png

1 minute ago, Em2016 said:

Supra use thicker cables/conductors and their cables are somehow certified up to 15m ! Well made. 

15 m is decidedly nontrivial. However, if you only need 2 m, paying for that additional quality is pointless.