IGNORED

JRiver and NAS Drive Letter

I have had no problems with JRiver access to my 54TB Synology NAS or temporarily on local drives for years.  But, I have not done much juggling of drive locations or drive letter assignments, network reconfigurations, etc.

i have not used it, but JRiver's Copy, Rename, etc. utility might be a better way to move stuff around and repoint the library entries to a new drive or directory, assuming Windows and JRiver can "see"  all the drives and files.

I am much happier with my media on a NAS with RAID for reliability, plus backups. I don't believe there are sonic or any other advantages to local, non-RAID drives.

16 hours ago, STC said:

Rebuilding will solve the problem ( actually, I have resorted to this ) but I have made so many playlists and notes to each track that might get wiped out during this process. I am not saying it will but some of the notes went missing. Thankfully, I made a backup library to restore to the previous state. This is working for now although not a perfect solution for my problem.

Thank you so much for your input.

After few years with NAS, I am moving back to internal drive. The PC is quiet and with 6 SSD/HDD solution I don't see why I need to access the NAS anymore. NAS will still remain there as the backup but in terms of speed and relaibilty the internal HDD is the way to go, especially in my situation with multiple zones. I agree that whatever sonic difference there might be, it will not be identifiable under normal real life listening experience.

Thank you so much for your input.

BTW, did you say 54TB?!  That is a big collection. Maybe, enough to start you own radio station. :))

Yup, 54TB minus RAID overhead.  It is mostly Mch SACD rips, plus some BDs.  They are all huge. I am planning a 5-drive expansion unit with 6 or 8TB drives, because the NAS is getting pretty full.