37 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

what Qobuz didn’t tell me (and i reached out to Damien78 founder of Audirvana) is how A+3 is going to handle this ie USA Qobuz accounts(or people with 2 different Qobuz accounts in two different country’s) - am awaiting an answer on this from A+3 and Qobuz(also queried David Craff on CA/AS)

I haven't asked Damien, but I can't see how A+ would do anything other than provide you the Qobuz music you have the rights to under the account you've signed in with.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• left channel changed the title to Qobuz USA launching soon!
4 hours ago, left channel said:

Eureka

You don't smell so good either.

(Sorry, the worse the pun the better I like it.)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, left channel said:

Not sure what you mean there, as I don't use A+. Upsampling? Upsampling may improve the sound but it can't add what's not in the original. Good Hi-Res files/streams are still worth paying for.

Apologize for the OT, and I would suggest responses might go to one of the A+ threads:

A better way to conceptualize upsampling is not that it adds something, but that it helps to eliminate distortion artifacts that may occur without it.

How's that work?

Filters in DACs must balance between two types of distortion.  If ultrasonics are not properly removed, they can intermodulate and create distortion at audible frequencies.  But if the filter is too aggressive at removing ultrasonics, it can "ring" (though this ringing is ultrasonic - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibbs_phenomenon ).  Upsampling has been done internally by nearly all DACs for decades, because it allows a gentler filter with less ringing to effectively remove ultrasonics, resulting in less distortion overall.  Upsampling in software is done outside the DAC to obtain filtering from a computer you very likely already own that is more effective than one might get even with expensive DACs .

7 minutes ago, left channel said:

Thanks. I was not knocking upsampling. I was responding to say it does not replace Hi-Res Audio. Agreed?

That actually depends on whether the studio or your software is better at its job. :)  But I do think the opportunity to listen to hi res is worthwhile, because there's plenty of it that's very well done.  Or to put it another way, I've found a great deal of hi res I enjoy listening to on Qobuz.

15 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Didn't I say just that?

Great minds....  😉

17 minutes ago, dmackta said:

Bob where are you seeing currency conversion?

If you are in the US store, everything is priced in US$.

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/shop

He's quoting dollar prices for GB and FR....  :) 

1 minute ago, dmackta said:

Please post a link to the product in question. Doesn't seem right. 

I have no idea what the link is, I was just noting that you asked about currency conversion and there is none in the US store - Bob said prices were "after currency conversion" regarding the GB and FR store prices he converted to dollars.

6 hours ago, Monty Tide said:

I just started my beta.  The sound quality is impressive but the amount of titles is lacking, such as Joe Jackson’s “Fools”. Hopefully, the amount of titles will increase once the beta is over.

The amount of titles is probably more likely to change than the sound quality, for any service.

I pretty much love this guy.  He has a new album coming out in a couple of weeks.  Wonder if you kind folks (hi, @David.. Qobuz, Hi-Res Music Evangelist ) might look into whether you have or can get USA streaming rights.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, wgscott said:

I got my beta trial membership two days before it goes public.

First thing I tried was to use it in Audirvana.  It plays for like 20 seconds and then freezes and starts qobuzzing.

Are you trying all the DSP stuff with it, or starting out simple?

Works nicely here.

Sample track you're trying to play, just to check it's not something A+ doesn't like about it/them in particular?

4 hours ago, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

Been lurking for  while, finally signed up here.   Have had my Qobuz usa acct for a week now.

So far so good, but wrinkles just need ironing out.  I am an exclusive linux user and that's where I'm seeing the only downsides to Qobuz so far over Tidal.  No app, which is fine by me, used to that with Tidal and everything else.  But haven't got firefox or chrome to behave right with the web player yet.  I set the output to hi-res (have studio acct), select hi-res track and play.  Bottom of screen shows the correct hi res format detected...but if you poke around in the /proc/asound directory to see what ALSA is actually doing....it's hard set at 44100 and won't budge no matter how I try to get around it.

Windows web player is the same AFAICT (limited to 16/44.1).  I'll go over to Linux in a minute here and see about pause.

4 hours ago, BrokeLinuxPhile said:

So far so good, but wrinkles just need ironing out.  I am an exclusive linux user and that's where I'm seeing the only downsides to Qobuz so far over Tidal.

Runs great through LMS/squeezelite on linux though with one huge exception: pause doesn't work.  You pause/hit play and track starts over at beginning, local files and tidal don't that.  Don't know who to blame for that one yet, it could be Qobuz, could be LMS, could be the LMS plugin.  Been lazy and haven't debugged it yet. 

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

Windows web player is the same AFAICT (limited to 16/44.1).  I'll go over to Linux in a minute here and see about pause.

Whoops, sorry, I see you were talking about LMS/squeezelite on Linux.  I'm using the web player, following the directions here: https://nuvola.tiliado.eu/app/qobuz/ubuntu/  Pause works fine in that setup.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, rickca said:

I've had a Qobuz subscription in France for more than 3 years, but only CD quality.

For those who have compared streaming high res vs CD quality from Qobuz ... is there a significant difference in sound quality?

If so, I'll just sign up for Sublime+ in the USA.

I wonder if you could get a trial of Sublime+?  Your question is difficult, because I think CD quality on Qobuz sounds great.  But I like the idea of having the hi res files available too, so....  Sorry I could not give you a more definite answer.

14 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

Even Mark Waldrep of AIX recordings has admitted he can't here the difference between Redbook CD and 24/96 on recordings that he heard live and mastered the file himself!

Amazing that took him years to realize.