On 12/12/2017 at 6:01 PM, #Yoda# said:

Qobuz announced in March this year that they will be available in Italy, Spain and Poland until summer but the people there are still waiting.

Qobuz finally launched in Italy and Spain on December 15, 2017.

I hope Qobuz can make their target USA launch timeframe of mid 2018.  Paying for my subscription in Euros is getting increasingly expensive, approaching 25 USD a month.

Now, if Qobuz would only launch in Canada.  I'd love to pay 20 Canadian dollars!

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, OK at those prices Qobuz can't get to the USA fast enough.  I'm currently paying those rates in euros.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

5 minutes ago, Charente said:

Exactly ! This is a deal.

This is funny.  Now Europeans are going to try to sign up in the USA to save money.  Qobuz will have to do something to prevent that.  Except for the MQA and rap aficiandos, I think many people will switch from TIDAL to Qobuz.  I did that a couple of years ago and have never looked back.

If you like jazz and classical, I find Qobuz superior.

9 minutes ago, Bob Stern said:

US customers would be prudent to wait to see what labels are excluded from the US market.  The lower price may reflect a smaller selection of labels.

That's entirely possible.  It might also be a really smart way to quickly steal a lot of TIDAL customers.  You can always increase prices a year later if you have a satisfied customer base.  Netflix does it regularly.  If current exchange rate trends continue, $20 USD is going to be way below the price in Europe and the UK.

It's interesting that Qobuz is leaving itself some wiggle room on MQA in it's Q&A.  They're not saying it will never happen.  They are also leaving the door open a crack with Roon.  If MQA starts to fade out, Qobuz can come in and sweep up the pieces of TIDAL.  

6 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

The problem between Qobuz and Roon is that the Qobuz license of its API to 3rd party developers requires the developers to adhere to a GUI format that's inconsistent with Roon's distinctive GUI.  Qobuz requires licensees to "consider Qobuz integration as a « stand-alone experience » within their apps."  Qobuz has a list of metadata whose display is mandatory (plus some that are optional), and even specifies the order in which search terms appear in a list.

See the document under the heading "Apps & UX Guidelines":

https://github.com/Qobuz/api-documentation

I'm aware of this issue.  I'm just referring to the statement in the Qobuz Q&A that says

Our implementation on Roon has not been decided yet. This option may be considered upon our arrival in the US.

So maybe Qobuz is considering being more flexible in the interest of Roon integration.

• 2 weeks later...

Qobuz only has a subset of their catalog in 24-bit.  If it's not available in 24-bit you will get CD quality.

18 minutes ago, wklie said:

Qobuz has unparalleled expertise in the field of Hi-Res music and offers music lovers a huge Hi-Res (24-Bit up to 192 kHz) catalog of one-million tracks (80,000 albums).

But Qobuz has 40 million tracks in CD quality.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the Qobuz desktop app.  Rather than using squeezer or iPeng9 or even A+ I wish Sonore would support Cast on the ultraRendu.  The Qobuz desktop app does support the Cast function.

8 hours ago, sandston said:

Boy do I wish the microrendu /ultrarendu would support cast as well. There are quite a few instances where it would be useful. I hope they are listening!!!!

They are not.  Already proposed and rejected.

1 hour ago, gddctr said:

however my CC billing address is in the states

That won't work.  Pay with PayPal.

• 3 months later...

Ughh, it was supposed to be mid-2018.

31 minutes ago, mansr said:

What were you expecting?

I was expecting it to slip and it did.  But better late than never.

• 5 months later...
  • left channel changed the title to Qobuz USA launching soon!
19 hours ago, left channel said:

In other words don't try to transfer your current login to a new account in a new country market, as they won't transfer your playlists, favorites, and other settings.  This is consistent with my plans: open an entirely new account in the US using a different email address, maintain my UK account for at least a short while to compare, and use Soundiiz to transfer my playlists and etc.

Do you have to use a different email address?  Can you have two different Qobuz accounts associated with the same email address?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, left channel said:

I've just received my Qobuz USA beta "Welcome" email! I'll be comparing it with my roaming UK account. More soon.

I haven't been invited!  I just sent a note to the beta support email address saying that I've had a monthly subscription in France since July 2015.  I don't know if it will make any difference.  

12 minutes ago, left channel said:

When did you sign up for the waiting list?

I don't remember.  I was probably late to the party.

4 minutes ago, Bob Stern said:

I hope this is a fluke.

Me too.  I would be awful if Qobuz compensated for lower subscription prices in the USA (considering currency exchange rates) by charging more for downloads.  

I finally got my invitation to join the USA beta!  I'm very familiar with Qobuz ... I've had an account in France for a long time.

If the USA beta is a good experience, I can finally pay in USD instead of euros and save some money.  I will probably sign up for Sublime+ when my USA trial period is over.  I really should start buying some high res downloads at discounted prices.

6 hours ago, firedog said:

I'm also not sorry to have ceased indirectly supporting MQA. If a lot of audiophiles switch from Tidal to Qobuz, the message will be heard in the industry, I think.

Not if Qobuz starts accepting MQA files.  That's why Qobuz should drop 2L.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a Qobuz subscription in France for more than 3 years, but only CD quality.

For those who have compared streaming high res vs CD quality from Qobuz ... is there a significant difference in sound quality?

If so, I'll just sign up for Sublime+ in the USA.