IGNORED

Is the DAC not the only way to decode the MQA?

I was just searching over internet and I have discovered that PS Audio use (MQA Certified) conversdigital module in their Bridge II.
If I'm not wrong, this is the way PS Audio use to decode MQA. Not in the DAC itself but in the renderer.
Does this open new possibilities to decode MQA without changing the DAC? 
Could they be available in the future a sort of MQA-enabled Renderer that unfold and decode the MQA file and pass it to the DAC?

Regards,

29 minutes ago, granosalis said:

Could they be available in the future a sort of MQA-enabled Renderer that unfold and decode the MQA file and pass it to the DAC?

There is no technical obstacle to this. The insistence on doing it in-DAC appears to be only to drive licensing fees and to make capturing the decoded stream harder (DRM).

13 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

There has to be a DAC present such as in the A10.

Now THAT I did not know.

Just reread MQA info on Aurender site and now "get it," I think. Looks like everything besides the A10 is "MQA Ready", to borrow from ROON terminology. This means that these renderers will pass the MQA encoded bitstream to an MQA enabled DAC.

Thanks for the clarification.

On 12/11/2017 at 11:56 AM, granosalis said:

I was just searching over internet and I have discovered that PS Audio use (MQA Certified) conversdigital module in their Bridge II.
If I'm not wrong, this is the way PS Audio use to decode MQA. Not in the DAC itself but in the renderer.
Does this open new possibilities to decode MQA without changing the DAC? 

Regards,

But the Bridge is "in the DAC", it isn't a standalone device. PSA had to do it this way as their FPGA DACs and MQA don't work together otherwise - they'd have to "mess up" their whole programming for D/A conversion otherwise. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 12/11/2017 at 5:56 PM, granosalis said:

For the sake of this discussion, there are MQA Full Decoding (to analog output only), MQA Core Decoding (to digital output) and MQA Rendering.

MQA Full Decoding to analog output - Lumin S1 / A1 / T1 / D2 / D1

MQA Core Decoding to digital output at 88.2kHz or 96kHz - Lumin S1 / A1 / T1 / D2 / D1 and especially U1 (support AES / USB / BNC / RCA coaxial / toslink output to external DAC), Tidal desktop app, Audirvana, Amarra

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead