IGNORED

HDMI vs. USB - From a Frustrated Multi-channel Audio Fan

17 hours ago, HamDog said:

Maybe this is just a Foobar thing.  I hate to learn new software, but I do have Jriver installed, so I tried to play Chicago's Quadio and the two rear channels come out in the center and sub channel!  Arrgghh!  I'm just really frustrated.

I suggest you set the output in JRiver to 5.1 and let it map the channels to a standard format.  Then, connect the outputs of the e38 to suit.  

17 hours ago, HamDog said:

First, the Oppo doesn't handle DSD through HDMI. 

???  I do not use the Oppo as a DAC normally but I was able to send DSD to the Oppo via HDMI and ethernet in the past.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

A question for the thread re: DSD over HDMI:

I have used Oppo players (going all the way back to the DV-980H) as a DSD source streaming over HDMI to a capable AV receiver and that just works.

But in the context of this thread, isn't an Oppo spinner being used as a target?  Is this perhaps where the confusion lies?

Oppo can work at either end of the process or in the middle.  I have streamed to it from JRMC while using its HDMI output to an preamp/processor.  Done that with HDMI in to the Oppo as well.

However, it is not sufficient for me as it is picky about DSD and multichannel.

Kal Rubinson

• 6 months later...
On 12/10/2017 at 2:54 PM, HamDog said:

What do other multi-channel audio fans do?  What combination of products do you use and what are your headaches?  Does everything work ok for you?  Does anyone recognize an easy fix for any of the above symptoms I've posted?  Any feedback/advice is appreciated.

1.  I have used both HDMI and USB with success.

2.  Win-based streamers using JRiver or Roon.  USB out to e38 or a trio of Benchmark DAC3s.  HDMI out to Marantz 8805 or NAD M17v2.

3.  I see these problems posted all the time, so you are not alone.  OTOH, I have stopped using ISOs (all DSF now) and I do not use playlists.  Channel mapping is a soluble problem but I can offer help only for JRiver and Roon.

Kal Rubinson