IGNORED

CA Readers Choice Awards 2017

39 minutes ago, Jonny S said:

Whilst that is clearly cheating, encouraging people to vote clearly isn't. 

Not questioning consumer's real world experiences with SOtM products.  Just questioning the integrity of a company that would send people to sign up to a public forum just to hawk their wares.  That taint overshadows the quality/value of their products IMHO.

7 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

I can't think of a single 2017 product that is worth a vote.

If Roon would have released their full mobile solution this year it would have got my vote hands down.

Version Roon 1.4 (out now) has iOS playback.  Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but how is that different from "full mobile solution"? 

2 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

Sync local and playback on device, remote streaming maybe even cloud storage.

iOS playback is a required/crucial step but I'm not going to stream to my phone at home when I have a stereo system that cost me an arm and a leg.

Ok, I think I'm following you.  In your ideal, hypothetical setup, I can access my NAS library on my iDevice directly and stream it to any Roon endpoint?  Even if that endpoint is the same iOS device or another on the network?  Roon Core on an iDevice?

4 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

this seems like a biased election and mainly SOTM vs Sonore more than anything else.

A blind test would be more appropriate imho, and from what i read from people i trust, the SOTM will win...but this biased thread will clearly dictate differently....

Also, it is nothing more than an enet to usb roon endpoint adapter....a product for people that insist on a usb dac, where imho it would make more sense to sell your old dac and buy a dac with an enet port which the direction the hobby will eventually go.  A dac should support digital inputs whether it be toslink, usb, or enet....this is just a baby step imho.

I doubt there really is anything really vital in the way of design for an enet to usb interface, especially when the usb intfc should be eliminated completely imho....

...Moving forward, All future Dacs should have an enet port  ...this is just another usb toy for archaic dacs.

As I learned when I first attempted to stream to an Ethernet-enabled DAC, we're really talking about DNLA.  And that requires some software in this hypothetical converter you're talking about.  There are known issues with DLNA and gapless playback, and also file type support (FLAC, for example, is not supported and the streamer must convert to something like WAV on the fly).  DLNA is an imperfect solution at best.

16 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

As you learned?  You have some more learning to do...

there is also RAAT and NAA, and other methods.  As for flac support, i don't know about your hardware but most will support flac files.  As far as DLNA may be imperfect, but so are all other interfaces, all having their limitations...but imho all interfaces should be supported by future dacs in the $1K and up models....jmo

Roon enabled devices = $$$.

I use NAA, but I've never seen an NAA-enabled DAC.

In all cases, some software is required on the DAC side.  It's more than just an Ethernet port.

Regarding FLAC, it's my understanding it is not in the DLNA Specification.  When FLAC is in the mix, software workarounds are as well.