IGNORED

Bluetooth and sound quality

Hi all

I had been toying with Apple Music as I read AAC sounds better from an iPhone through Bluetooth as it's AAC and MP3 and the Spotify Org thing are both mangled by non Aptx bluetooth.

Anyway following advice on an Apple forum I decided AM wasn't for me as it seems to jeopardise sound quality on files ripped from CDs on eg, ALAF format on any Apple device using icloud music storage. I also was told AAC had no advantage for me as I only use B/T for connecting to my car audio and that it was almost certainly not equipped to deal with AAC receiving over B/T so I decided to stay with Spotify. 

However, it seems ALAF and other higher quality files are always going to be translated down into poor quality compressed files when streamed with Bluetooth on any device and no matter what I do it's not going to be better. I am wondering if theres any solution to this or whether I just need to get a cable.

Thanks

• 10 months later...

Lossy hi-res audio is still lossy. Where's the lossless standard CD 16/44.1kHz resolution Bluetooth audio option, never mind hi-res audio?

Statements such as "near lossless", "effectively maintaining original bit-depth & frequency" and the MQA imitating, "lossless music quality", don't count.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

3 hours ago, Cebolla said:

Lossy hi-res audio is still lossy. Where's the lossless standard CD 16/44.1kHz resolution Bluetooth audio option, never mind hi-res audio?

Statements such as "near lossless", "effectively maintaining original bit-depth & frequency" and the MQA imitating, "lossless music quality", don't count.

True, but progress has been made in the sound quality department especially with LDAC. For me, Bluetooth is all about being mobile so I don't care if it does lossless. Sure, it would be nice but for much of my mobile listening (planes, trains, automobiles) the increase in fidelity would be lost on me due to ambient noise. At home, I never use Bluetooth. 

maybe Bt 5 will support uncompressed PCM?

I understand that current Bt is plenty fast enough; but I am wondering about the quality of the circuits/designs used in the devices that implement Bt...

I am specifically interested in Bt for car audio uses.